IGNORED

AFL Finals....

BS5_RED

Here comes my usual tumbleweed post.....

Anyone going to be following this?? It's set up for a great few weeks.

I know they finished 6th but i have Sydney down as the team to beat.

Recovered from 0-6 to looking incredible the last few weeks.

Although the way it's been this year, anyone could win it....

Carn pear!

Port Adelaide for me as I used to watch then after work on a Saturday if they were playing at Alberton (back in the Russell Ebert & John Cahill era).  Can't stomach the Crows for political reasons after Port were denied access to the old VFL by the SANFL.

Anyway ..................... c'mon the Power !!

On 8/27/2017 at 23:36, BigTone said:

Port Adelaide for me as I used to watch then after work on a Saturday if they were playing at Alberton (back in the Russell Ebert & John Cahill era).  Can't stomach the Crows for political reasons after Port were denied access to the old VFL by the SANFL.

Anyway ..................... c'mon the Power !!

Never forget.

I wasn't even here then and Im still bitter about it.

'kin plastic franchise club.

Add the correct vernacular is "Carn Pear" these days..............:P

On 8/29/2017 at 00:07, BigTone said:

Expecting a close game against West Coast which for me is too close to call.

I'm going tomorrow night. Very nervous.

Port have been decent this year, but have a nasty habit of going missing in big games and the Eagles have a good record on the narrow Adelaide Oval.

If we can get through the Eagles, I think we have a good shot against a GWS side - which on last nights evidence against the Crows - look like a busted flush.

On 8/29/2017 at 18:53, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Western Bulldogs myself. I too fancy Sydney

Sydney are a Port Adelaide's fan best chance of avoiding AFL armadeggon - a Crows premiership. They went 0-6 at the start of the year and still finished 6th. They look very very good.

As (worringly) do the plastics.......

Here's a conumdrum - there is a chance that there could be an Adelaide derby in grand final. Sounds great.........

How would we all feel if we got the Gas in a cup final? And they were miles above us in the league? And they had smashed us 4-0 a few weeks before. Pretty high reward, high risk maneuver right?

8 hours ago, BS5_RED said:

Port have been decent this year, but have a nasty habit of going missing in big games and the Eagles have a good record on the narrow Adelaide Oval.

If we can get through the Eagles, I think we have a good shot against a GWS side - which on last nights evidence against the Crows - look like a busted flush.

Never seen them at Adelaide Oval since the refurb. Last game I saw was against St Kilda at Footy Park.

8 hours ago, BS5_RED said:

Good luck

Carn Pear !! :chant6ez:

9 hours ago, BigTone said:

Good luck

Carn Pear !! :chant6ez:

Bloody bricking it. We're favs but its exactly the sort of game we'd lose.

On a side note, a great richmond/geelong game tonight.

Close until the final term when tiges ran over the tip of em.

95k at the mcg with an estimated 60k being richmond fans. They are a bit like a spurs/everton/liverpool..won zero league titles in 30 yrs but still have a huge fan base.

The link isnt from tonight but this was the best i could find. The "yellow and black" yell is one of the best things in the afl

https://youtu.be/4eSZgSfmx4E

Its actually quite a simple game really, certainly easier to pick up than union.

18 a side.

Passing - handpass (no throwing allowed) or by foot. Kick a pass over 15m - your team gets a free kick - a "mark"

Running - if you run with the ball more than 15m you have to bounce/touch it to the ground.

Scoring - 6 points through the big sticks, 1 through the little sticks

No offsides. Forward passes allowed.

Tackling - like usual rugby tackles and football style shoulder charges

There's a litle bit more too it (technically cant tackle/push from behind and if you are tackled you have to dispose of the ball) but those are the basics.

Playing it has the 360 field of vision, running and need to find space feel of football combined with the tackling, fly half style kicking, lineout style catching and silly shaped ball feel of rugby.

Despite not being well known its an historic game - Melbourne FC were formed in 1859 which makes them older than Notts County.

Can explain more if you like :-)

4 hours ago, EmersonsRed said:

Hi all - I find AFL very confusing to watch, are the rules easy to pick up eventually?

Yes very otherwise Australians couldn't understand it.

The reason it's played on an Oval is because otherwise if it had corners the Greeks or Italians would build a Fish & Chip shop on it.

13 minutes ago, BS5_RED said:

Complete belting. Quite like Essendon, but Im pleased

Swans are the AFL worlds best chance at stopping crowmageddon.......

(Heading into town now for Port game. Tense as ****.)

Only need 70 points in last quarter to sneak a win (assuming Swans don't score) so not over yet ................................. yeah right.

Good luck in town. Carn Pear !!

Where do you go for a pint ?

15 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Only need 70 points in last quarter to sneak a win (assuming Swans don't score) so not over yet ................................. yeah right.

Good luck in town. Carn Pear !!

Where do you go for a pint ?

Pre game?

Varies................but I'm at the Cat(hedral) tonight.

carn-the-pear-tshirts.jpg

Must be all those years of being a City fan........but I'm convinced we'll **** it up tonight.....

6 minutes ago, BS5_RED said:

Pre game?

Varies................but I'm at the Cat(hedral) tonight.

I haven't been for a pint in Adelaide itself for yonks.  Last time was in some place down Hindley St where they had a special of a Pint, Pie & Punch in the mouth.

Back over in November so might get a chance then.

1 hour ago, BS5_RED said:

Swans are the AFL worlds best chance at stopping crowmageddon.......

Not a fan of the Swans (because of the Geoffrey Edelston & Warwick Capper era) but hope they can do whatever to the Crows.

Thumping win over Essendon.

Not a good start so it seems.

2nd quarter neck & neck.  Bad 1st quarter has Power on the back foot but still in with a chance.  Always think the 3rd quarter is make or break in most games so here's hoping. Only 2 goals in it.  Carn Pear !!

Archived