IGNORED

AFL Finals....

BS5_RED

Shattered.

Kick after the siren in et? That just doesn't happen.

Heartbroken.

Seriously this city losing in the playoffs bad.

Im on my 3rd butcher of port. Heading to the exeter to smash some coopers sparklings.

Im gutted.

A game I've not watched in years, but have started again this year with a BT Sport subscription

For reasons unknown to me I picked Richmond as my team, but with hols and stuff going on at home I've not tuned in for a month or so, dare I ask if my lot are still involved? Used to love watching it on C4 back in the day, enjoyed getting to watch it again this year

21 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

A game I've not watched in years, but have started again this year with a BT Sport subscription

For reasons unknown to me I picked Richmond as my team, but with hols and stuff going on at home I've not tuned in for a month or so, dare I ask if my lot are still involved? Used to love watching it on C4 back in the day, enjoyed getting to watch it again this year

I believe you will play the winner of GWS & Eagles in the Preliminary Final. I'm sure our counterparts in Australia will correct me if wrong. 

1 hour ago, Woodsy said:

Cheers Tone, but wtf is a 'preliminary final'!? Sounds like a semi final??

Its all a bit complex when it comes to the Finals but if you win your Prelim Final you should go through to the Grand Final.  Whoever finishes at the top of the league after the ordinary fixtures are crowned Minor Premiers. They then have a Finals series with the top 8 teams. Richmond finished in the top 4 from memory so have an easier route to the Grand Final. As it is GWS & Eagles play one of the semi finals to advance to the Prelim Final against your lot.  Perhaps this may explain better than me:

The AFL final eight system is an eight-team championship playoff tournament developed and adopted by the Australian Football League in the 2000 season. The eight teams, which are ranked or seeded in advance of the tournament, participate in a four-week tournament, with two teams eliminated in each of the first three weeks. The grand final is played in the fourth week between the two remaining teams, with the winning team awarded the premiership.

The system is designed to give the top four teams an easier road to the Grand Final than the second four teams. The top four teams need to win only two finals to reach the Grand Final, while the second four teams need to win three. The two winning teams of the top four receive a bye in the second week of the playoff and then play at home in the third week, and the two losing teams play at home in the second week.

There you go Woodsy it's now as clear as mud !!!

3 hours ago, BigTone said:

Its all a bit complex when it comes to the Finals but if you win your Prelim Final you should go through to the Grand Final.  Whoever finishes at the top of the league after the ordinary fixtures are crowned Minor Premiers. They then have a Finals series with the top 8 teams. Richmond finished in the top 4 from memory so have an easier route to the Grand Final. As it is GWS & Eagles play one of the semi finals to advance to the Prelim Final against your lot.  Perhaps this may explain better than me:

The AFL final eight system is an eight-team championship playoff tournament developed and adopted by the Australian Football League in the 2000 season. The eight teams, which are ranked or seeded in advance of the tournament, participate in a four-week tournament, with two teams eliminated in each of the first three weeks. The grand final is played in the fourth week between the two remaining teams, with the winning team awarded the premiership.

The system is designed to give the top four teams an easier road to the Grand Final than the second four teams. The top four teams need to win only two finals to reach the Grand Final, while the second four teams need to win three. The two winning teams of the top four receive a bye in the second week of the playoff and then play at home in the third week, and the two losing teams play at home in the second week.

There you go Woodsy it's now as clear as mud !!!

Good lord Tone

I won't ask next time!!

6 minutes ago, BS5_RED said:

So the Swans ballsing it up means it's now the Crows to lose.

I'm offically on the Richmond bandwagon, but frankly its an ABC year.

Welcome, been waiting for a glory hunter to join me.......

Now, explain what is happening. In plain English would be wonderful, thank you!

17 hours ago, Woodsy said:

Welcome, been waiting for a glory hunter to join me.......

Now, explain what is happening. In plain English would be wonderful, thank you!

Ok, the game starts with a complete balls up and if you're lucky you will get it in your forward pocket from the off, mark it but most likely end up with a behind. Getting a behind should not be confused with getting one "in the back" which would in turn result in a free hopefully in the 50m arc ................. still with me?  Normally a team would win on goals unless they have managed to get more behinds especially from a good ruck. One goal equals 6 behinds hence the reason Sydney is known as the gay capital of Australia. Apologies for that comment as it should really be out of bounds.

Hope all is clear now. :blink:

On 9/13/2017 at 01:40, Woodsy said:

Cheers Tone, but wtf is a 'preliminary final'!? Sounds like a semi final??

The prelims are what we would call semi finals. Its long and boring but its a bit of a hangover from when there was only 5 teams in the finals and the system was different.

Either way the screengrab shows it pretty clearly.

aflfinals.jpg

On 9/13/2017 at 06:14, BigTone said:

Please don't

Don't forget the SANFL GF on Sunday.

Chance of a first magees flag since 1999........

(And if anyone wants to ask why Port Adelaide have two teams but with different names/colours I'm happy to explain :-) )

GF_small.jpg

15 hours ago, BigTone said:

Ok, the game starts with a complete balls up and if you're lucky you will get it in your forward pocket from the off, mark it but most likely end up with a behind. Getting a behind should not be confused with getting one "in the back" which would in turn result in a free hopefully in the 50m arc ................. still with me?  Normally a team would win on goals unless they have managed to get more behinds especially from a good ruck. One goal equals 6 behinds hence the reason Sydney is known as the gay capital of Australia. Apologies for that comment as it should really be out of bounds.

Hope all is clear now. :blink:

:blink:

3 hours ago, BS5_RED said:

YELLOW AND BLACK!!

I've seen the players sing the song on twitter after games, I'll check this one out at lunchtime. I bet it doesn't sound as good as 'Drink up thee cider' though!

5 hours ago, BigTone said:

Please do cos otherwise I will go off on a rant !!

Go the Pies :chant6ez:

I'll post the long version tomorrow....

But in short it was this right tone?

1. Bloody idiot posho norwood types getting the hump because port tried to join the (v)afl.

2. Knobheads at collingwood claiming some bizarre copyright over a mascot.

3. Our own fault for not standing our ground and just playing in the prison bars anyway.

5 minutes ago, BS5_RED said:

I'll post the long version tomorrow....

But in short it was this right tone?

1. Bloody idiot posho norwood types getting the hump because port tried to join the (v)afl.   - Redleg Poof !!!

2. Knobheads at collingwood claiming some bizarre copyright over a mascot.  -   It's only a bloody mascot the Collingwood poofs !!

3. Our own fault for not standing our ground and just playing in the prison bars anyway.  - Bloody SANFL poofs !!

4. The SANFL hierarchy wanting to keep control of the finances.

5. VFL not happy with the prospect of Russel Ebert winning the Brownlow Medal every year along with the Magarey and getting a knighthood.

On 9/18/2017 at 16:30, BigTone said:

Please do cos otherwise I will go off on a rant !!

Go the Pies :chant6ez:

I'm gonna have to do this in several parts Tone,

Are you sitting comfortably? Then I’ll begin.

Although the game is called AFL that technically refers to the name of the league not the game. Bit like calling football EPL. The game is Australian Rules Football which I’ll call aFL

aFL is the most popular “code” of football in WA, SA, the NT, Tassie and Victoria. Rugby league is the most popular in NSW and QLD. Union is a posh boys game in NSW and QLD and played by Saffers in WA. No one gives a s**t what the ACT does because Canberra is strange strange place.

Despite the FFA being founded in 1911, Soccer/Football used to be known as a game for “Sheila’s, Wogs and Pooftas´ until (ironically) the rise of the premier league which has made the game much more popular here. (But that’s another story……)  

https://shop.abc.net.au/products/sheilas-wogs-and-poofters

Back to aFL.

Because Australia is so comedy large the game was state based until the 1980’s. Each state league had about 10 teams and had its own history, politics and rivalries.

There was the occasional attempt to play national championship games but it never really counted. Unless your team won the thing then you went on and on about being “national champions”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Championship_of_Australia

Yes, North Adelaide I’m looking at you.  Shut up about 1972 FFS.

So, Port Adelaide (the magpies, “prison bar” kit – the best kit in the land BTW) and Norwood were the biggest clubs in SA, and Victoria had the Big 4 of Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond and Essendon.

I’ve no idea who were the biggest clubs in WA or Tas. So, don’t ask.

This all carried on until the late 70’s when the population size in Victoria (VFL) (about 3 times as big as WA or SA) meant they had the cash to pinch the best players of the other leagues. The VFL also had the sense to show their games NATIOANLLY which gave their league the most exposure.

Although now the “biggest” league the smaller clubs in the VFL were in the s**t financially. They needed the money of clubs from the other states to prop them up.

South Melbourne moved to Sydney in the early 80’s and clubs such as St Kilda would play home games in Tasmania.

SA (SANFL) and WA (WAFL) knew they were being played but steadfastly stuck to the view that a true national league should be established not an expanded VFL. In 86 the VFL set up a team in Brisbane. Both the Sydney and Brisbane clubs drew small crowds and were a massive drain on the VFL finances and were close to having the plug pulled on them.

Then the game changed in 1987 when the WAFL folded and entered a franchise (i.e. a new club not one of the existing WAFL clubs) West Coast Eagles into the competition…………

End of Part 1…………

4 hours ago, BS5_RED said:

I'm gonna have to do this in several parts Tone,

Are you sitting comfortably? Then I’ll begin.

Although the game is called AFL that technically refers to the name of the league not the game. Bit like calling football EPL. The game is Australian Rules Football which I’ll call aFL

aFL is the most popular “code” of football in WA, SA, the NT, Tassie and Victoria. Rugby league is the most popular in NSW and QLD. Union is a posh boys game in NSW and QLD and played by Saffers in WA. No one gives a s**t what the ACT does because Canberra is strange strange place.

Despite the FFA being founded in 1911, Soccer/Football used to be known as a game for “Sheila’s, Wogs and Pooftas´ until (ironically) the rise of the premier league which has made the game much more popular here. (But that’s another story……)  

https://shop.abc.net.au/products/sheilas-wogs-and-poofters

Back to aFL.

Because Australia is so comedy large the game was state based until the 1980’s. Each state league had about 10 teams and had its own history, politics and rivalries.

There was the occasional attempt to play national championship games but it never really counted. Unless your team won the thing then you went on and on about being “national champions”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Championship_of_Australia

Yes, North Adelaide I’m looking at you.  Shut up about 1972 FFS.

So, Port Adelaide (the magpies, “prison bar” kit – the best kit in the land BTW) and Norwood were the biggest clubs in SA, and Victoria had the Big 4 of Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond and Essendon.

I’ve no idea who were the biggest clubs in WA or Tas. So, don’t ask.

This all carried on until the late 70’s when the population size in Victoria (VFL) (about 3 times as big as WA or SA) meant they had the cash to pinch the best players of the other leagues. The VFL also had the sense to show their games NATIOANLLY which gave their league the most exposure.

Although now the “biggest” league the smaller clubs in the VFL were in the s**t financially. They needed the money of clubs from the other states to prop them up.

South Melbourne moved to Sydney in the early 80’s and clubs such as St Kilda would play home games in Tasmania.

SA (SANFL) and WA (WAFL) knew they were being played but steadfastly stuck to the view that a true national league should be established not an expanded VFL. In 86 the VFL set up a team in Brisbane. Both the Sydney and Brisbane clubs drew small crowds and were a massive drain on the VFL finances and were close to having the plug pulled on them.

Then the game changed in 1987 when the WAFL folded and entered a franchise (i.e. a new club not one of the existing WAFL clubs) West Coast Eagles into the competition…………

End of Part 1…………

Ah yes Canberra .......................... very odd place I agree.

1991 SANFL  Grand Final. Stuff of legend.

Steven Sims was utter filth that day (he's the North Adelaide player who throws the punch at approx 0:25) was (rightly) targeted for the rest of the game.

This is him celebrating in the change room afterwards. :whistle:

hqdefault.jpg

4 hours ago, BS5_RED said:

1991 SANFL  Grand Final. Stuff of legend.

Steven Sims was utter filth that day (he's the North Adelaide player who throws the punch at approx 0:25) was (rightly) targeted for the rest of the game.

This is him celebrating in the change room afterwards. :whistle:

hqdefault.jpg

Great stuff

Archived