IGNORED

Jonathan Leko....from a Baggies perspective

Baggiemad

You should really enjoy watching Leko, exciting, fast and can go past players without even trying, I watched his debut against Cresswell of West Ham and Cresswell did not know how to stop him and git really mugged off by Leko. He needs to learn what to do when he hasn't got the ball but on the ball he is something else.

i hope it works out for him and yourselves, will be keeping a close eye on his progress, he will get targeted by defenders when they realise what he can do to them.

1 hour ago, Baggiemad said:

You should really enjoy watching Leko, exciting, fast and can go past players without even trying, I watched his debut against Cresswell of West Ham and Cresswell did not know how to stop him and git really mugged off by Leko. He needs to learn what to do when he hasn't got the ball but on the ball he is something else.

i hope it works out for him and yourselves, will be keeping a close eye on his progress, he will get targeted by defenders when they realise what he can do to them.

Thank you-where's his best position?

1 hour ago, Baggiemad said:

As we very much play 'defending from the front' tactics here - any idea if he puts in a shift in that respect?

Current agendas can be worth reading.

Old agendas should just be binned.

Very old agendas ( in football that's probably 6 months or older) are tiresome and irrelevant 

No one minds current comments  / constructive criticism of City's manager but this Lj negativity should stop. Young manager, learning fast, developing players well ok results since end of Feb, team spirit generally good, performed well against recent managers with vast experience and pages of football success ( Rednapp, Bruce)

Managing window pretty well and his signings / releases look pragmatic and sensible

Tough games coming and club needs all the positive support it can find. Please let's start now and make old agendas a thing of the past on this forum.

26 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

Very old agendas ( in football that's probably 6 months or older) are tiresome and irrelevant 

No one minds current comments  / constructive criticism of City's manager but this Lj negativity should stop. Young manager, learning fast, developing players well ok results since end of Feb, team spirit generally good, performed well against recent managers with vast experience and pages of football success ( Rednapp, Bruce)

Managing window pretty well and his signings / releases look pragmatic and sensible

Tough games coming and club needs all the positive support it can find. Please let's start now and make old agendas a thing of the past on this forum.

It's a football forum, it's hardly of earth shattering importance if people have or have not got an 'agenda' regarding the head coach or anyone else at the club - as long as there is no personal abuse.

Last time I looked freedom of speech was still allowed in the U.K. 

2 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

Agree on your points about agendas, but I'd have to take issue with the affirmation that he's done well against Bruce (1 point isn't earth-shattering) and definitely not against Redknapp (we lost both games! Meekly! And were totally out-done tactically in the second half of the second game!). Also, I'm still struggling to see many players who have improved under Johnson, although that is subjective. He's been given a clean slate from me since the summer and maybe one or two lessons have been learnt from last season, fair enough. 

All that said, this is a thread about Leko and I have to say I was drooling at the thought of some incisive comment from the Baggies fan, starting with words like 'perspective' and wot knot. I was most disappointed - I haven't learnt anything about him on here, even from a WBA fan who has (presumably) seen him play. I wouldn't call learning that he's fast and can go past a player anything to shout about - he's 18 and a winger/forward and clearly athletic so that's two attributes minimum I would expect. Maybe there's something more to learn about him on the other thread...?

5 hours ago, numbeast said:

And if LJ starts changing the line up he'll be accused of not knowing his best 11. Just out of interest who should he drop to make room given we've only lost once so far?

Put Brownhill in the centre of the park in place of Smith and then put Leko on the right, I reckon

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

What about Eliasson?

Perhaps we're going to try a version of a 433 - we've got the personnel I think. 4 defensive minded central midfielders mean we should have the balance.

Good to have it as an option, glad we've got some pace and trickery in the side.

Maybe Leko came available recently and it was too good an opportunity to miss..

I think we've got about the right amount of wingers now. Strictly speaking we've only got 3 who's preferred position is a 'winger'.. I see Paterson as a equally comfortable as a no 10 or a wide attacking midfielder/winger 

5 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

Wingers? Never seen it yet under LJ. Everything goes through the middle. About time we saw some wing play and something for big Wayne to get his head on.

I think that's because we haven't had the personnel. We've invested heavily in wingers this window - £2m on Eliasson and whatever 6/7 figure loan fee we would've paid for Leko.

I can't imagine LJ setting up 442 with wingers though. Perhaps a 4231 with 2 wingers and Reid behind the striker.

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Perhaps we're going to try a version of a 433 - we've got the personnel I think. 4 defensive minded central midfielders mean we should have the balance.

Good to have it as an option, glad we've got some pace and trickery in the side.

Maybe Leko came available recently and it was too good an opportunity to miss..

I think we've got about the right amount of wingers now. Strictly speaking we've only got 3 who's preferred position is a 'winger'.. I see Paterson as a equally comfortable as a no 10 or a wide attacking midfielder/winger 

Yes, just reminding those who suggested Eliasson replacing Brownhill are those now suggesting Leko.  I suspect, most, including me, have never seen the lad play.  Fickle bunch.

Brownhill hasn't done anything wrong yet to deserve losing his place.  Although that can be achieved by him moving inside and replacing Smith either regularly or where it suits.  Not sure Smith has reached the heights yet this season, but we need to be careful that we don't miss the stuff he does quietly and goes unnoticed.  Little things like when Pack went off v Millwall we lost our 'screen' in front Morison (against Baker and Wright).  Does Smith set the tone for our high press?  Could easily upset the balance.  That's sometimes why a manager picks a player that none of us can fathom out.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, just reminding those who suggested Eliasson replacing Brownhill are those now suggesting Leko.  I suspect, most, including me, have never seen the lad play.  Fickle bunch.

Brownhill hasn't done anything wrong yet to deserve losing his place.  Although that can be achieved by him moving inside and replacing Smith either regularly or where it suits.  Not sure Smith has reached the heights yet this season, but we need to be careful that we don't miss the stuff he does quietly and goes unnoticed.  Little things like when Pack went off v Millwall we lost our 'screen' in front Morison (against Baker and Wright).  Does Smith set the tone for our high press?  Could easily upset the balance.  That's sometimes why a manager picks a player that none of us can fathom out.

Yeah I'm a big fan of Brownhill. Think he's got serious potential so hope he doesn't lose his spot.

Feel we're a bit too heavy in central midfield now - can't imagine Pack or Smith leaving.. O'Neil seems the obvious one to go if any but he's on big wages and I think Johnson values his experience.

Yeah Smith has his limits but he's valuable. He can also play right back (assuming Moore and/or Vyner go on loan) which is useful cover. I get the impression he's the sort of player Johnson would trust. I've met Korey and he's a lovely guy, a good influence around the squad - the opposite of Tomlin.

6 hours ago, numbeast said:

And if LJ starts changing the line up he'll be accused of not knowing his best 11. Just out of interest who should he drop to make room given we've only lost once so far?

Does he know his best 11?

Only won 1 league game, but rang the changes big time and handsomely won 2 cup games!

BUT we struggled to one loss and 2 draws with the "settled" 11 - how many mid season games did we struggle with almost the same eleven last season?

FGS lets have some management!

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

What about Eliasson?

Whatever fans think of Johnson it can't be denied that he's putting an attacking squad together.

All the signings young, and it appears hungry.

The thought of at some stage for some home games at least, Eliasson and Leko wide with Brownhill in front of Pack seems quite appealing.  With the way Reid is playing and the thought of some quality balls coming in for our new striker to show people he isn't crap things might not be to bad.

That's plus two attacking full backs that we have now and things might not be to bad.

With what iv said Pats don't make the line up who was great Friday night.

A center back pairing that looks solid as a rock and the always under pressure Fielding looking the part.

Still a lot will pick fault with that. Why have we brought in the under 21 international from Fulham they don't want him he must be crap.

Anyway win or loose with the 3 or 4 academy pushing for the first team squad for me it has to be the most potential weve had in, well dare I say it since Dicks!

11 hours ago, Baggiemad said:

Presumably being fast and able to go past defenders at will is why he's be loaned to us. Loan moves for Jay Rodriguez and Rondon can't be far behind in order for Pulis to play his dream team of a keeper and ten defenders. 

From Pack , Patterson , Smith and Brownhill ,who seem to be our current favoured midfield four I think it is Smith who has seemed the least effective (sadly), therefore replacing him with Leco and moving Brownhill to the middle makes sense. That then leaves Elliason and O'Dowda to cover the wide positions and Smith , O'Neil, the centre.

Simples ( l hope), as a  settled midfield to go with a settled back four might just be the answer after last seasons constant juggling

35 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

My fanatical Baggies buddy has it as 'a great loan signing for you guys' 

Seems a great move for all concerned; let's hope it turns out that way.

I'm sure it will turn out well, let's just not sign him at the end. :fear:

Archived