IGNORED

Joe Bryan

Whale Eye Beef Hooked

15 minutes ago, Whale Eye Beef Hooked said:

Just out of interest, do people on here still think he can't cut it as a full back

Until the beginning of the season, I was still unconvinced. After closely watching his positioning against Barnsley and Plymouth (and Villa the other night) - I'm convinced.

Hardly put a foot wrong in any of the games I've seen this season (don't see as many now due to living in Essex), and is looking more comfortable every time I've seen him play.

What with Bobby Reid being moved up top, you could argue that Johnson has seen things, stuck to what he believed, and the rewards are beginning to show.

Still need convincing that Johnson is the  man to take us forward though, however I'll be more than happy to have to say he's changed my mind on that subject as well!!

52 minutes ago, Whale Eye Beef Hooked said:

So rated best left back in the division last year and so far this year he is highest rated Fb again 

Just out of interest, do people on here still think he can't cut it as a full back 

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/stats-show-bristol-city-defender-394341

I like Joe, but this nonsense is based on just 5 matches in the season - all of which have been played against teams that haven't started very well. In fact, all 5 are below us and their highest position is 15th. Let's wait a bit longer and see how he goes against the top sides before getting too carried away....

34 minutes ago, Taz said:

Until the beginning of the season, I was still unconvinced. After closely watching his positioning against Barnsley and Plymouth (and Villa the other night) - I'm convinced.

Hardly put a foot wrong in any of the games I've seen this season (don't see as many now due to living in Essex), and is looking more comfortable every time I've seen him play.

What with Bobby Reid being moved up top, you could argue that Johnson has seen things, stuck to what he believed, and the rewards are beginning to show.

Still need convincing that Johnson is the  man to take us forward though, however I'll be more than happy to have to say he's changed my mind on that subject as well!!

How closely did you watch him against Plymouth then? :whistle:

Joe Bryan had started this season well and good for him and us .. But let's have a reality check last season quite a few games his defending and fitness was found wanting. He was well overdue to be dropped but for whatever reason seemed to be the first name on the sheet. Pack , smith , Paterson ... The list goes on all spent time on the bench but not Bryan ? 

Long may his good form continue but let's not have the blinkers on.. We are allowed to criticise our own!  

1 hour ago, Taz said:

I agree Taz . He is blossoming into the position but I still feel he is a little bit wasted there and would prefer to see him play further forward . 

It worked for Bobby Reid ,so knickers to you lot that want blood . 

20 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Joe Bryan had started this season well and good for him and us .. But let's have a reality check last season quite a few games his defending and fitness was found wanting. He was well overdue to be dropped but for whatever reason seemed to be the first name on the sheet. Pack , smith , Paterson ... The list goes on all spent time on the bench but not Bryan ? 

Long may his good form continue but let's not have the blinkers on.. We are allowed to criticise our own!  

His game is not about defending. He is a full back = Working the full length of the pitch keeping the ball moving and providing width. He was not dropped due to that versatility which saw him play four positions last season. He was excellent at times going forwards. That is his game. 

People have blinkers on regarding how football has moved on. Once the weaker links played left and right back, now they can be very offensive as this is where space is due to the way teams set up, these full backs have to be skilled to take advantage of that space. Defending is part of the role, not its primary function.

Joe Bryan gets criticised because he is a local lad who has come through the academy his well rounded ability is over looked by those who think modern football is about slide tackles, getting stuck in ... A game that is long gone.

1 hour ago, Calculus said:

I like Joe, but this nonsense is based on just 5 matches in the season - all of which have been played against teams that haven't started very well. In fact, all 5 are below us and their highest position is 15th. Let's wait a bit longer and see how he goes against the top sides before getting too carried away....

No , my point was more that he took a lot of stick last year but was apparently the best left back in the division , this year seems to be a carry on from that 

41 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Why drop the best left back in the division.  Ok he had the odd bad game but imo I thought he was a shining light in a poor defence 

7 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

His game is not about defending. He is a full back = Working the full length of the pitch keeping the ball moving and providing width. He was not dropped due to that versatility which saw him play four positions last season. He was excellent at times going forwards. That is his game. 

People have blinkers on regarding how football has moved on. Once the weaker links played left and right back, now they can be very offensive as this is where space is due to the way teams set up, these full backs have to be skilled to take advantage of that space. Defending is part of the role, not its primary function.

Joe Bryan gets criticised because he is a local lad who has come through the academy his well rounded ability is over looked by those who think modern football is about slide tackles, getting stuck in ... A game that is long gone.

When you are picked as a full back in a team that was in the bottom three for a long while last season I suggest that defending was part of the reason he was picked as a left back?

To be honest he wasn't effective enough going forward either last season to justify his pick in the team.

I must say so far this season he's improved in every area I thought he lacked a bit last season. 

And for me personally I enjoy seeing joe in the team as a local lad especially as he's a backwell boy! 

3 minutes ago, Whale Eye Beef Hooked said:

Why drop the best left back in the division.  Ok he had the odd bad game but imo I thought he was a shining light in a poor defence 

Thing we have different opinions on joe Bryan last season. He was not the best left back in our league last season!

This season however so far so good! Enjoying watching him play.

14 minutes ago, Whale Eye Beef Hooked said:

No , my point was more that he took a lot of stick last year but was apparently the best left back in the division , this year seems to be a carry on from that 

Where does it say he was the best left back last year? That article is about this year only. Didn't think Joe was all that good last year, but he was part of a very poor defence and Lee did move him about a lot. Am very optimistic about Joe but we'll know more by Christmas - at least Lee's stopped mucking him about...

1 hour ago, cheshire_red said:

Excellent from Joe, Marlon needs to pull his socks up though

I am all for a close team spirit but surely players should be capable of dressing themselves. Why can't Joe pull his own socks up? Who the hell sorts out his underpants? Yeuch.

27 minutes ago, Calculus said:

Where does it say he was the best left back last year? That article is about this year only. Didn't think Joe was all that good last year, but he was part of a very poor defence and Lee did move him about a lot. Am very optimistic about Joe but we'll know more by Christmas - at least Lee's stopped mucking him about...

That article doesn't.

But no one said that article did.

There was an article on the BP website at the end of last season ( http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/stats-say-bristol-city-need-70884) which said it got its data from whoscored.com who had said Bryan was the best/among the best from the data they had gathered.

Then you have other stuff too.

http://soccersouls.com/2017/06/26/who-is-this-promising-bristol-city-defender-that-burnley-are-monitoring-everything-you-need-to-know/

http://www.winnersports.co.uk/sunderland-afc-target-best-full-back-championship-36491

http://www.90min.com/posts/5404923-newcastle-turn-to-bristol-city-s-joe-bryan-after-losing-paul-dummett-to-injury

37 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Thing we have different opinions on joe Bryan last season. He was not the best left back in our league last season!

This season however so far so good! Enjoying watching him play.

Uhhh read the article 

In fact, Bryan is the top ranking full-back in the entire league, following on from ranking as the top left-back last season.

33 minutes ago, Calculus said:

Same reply 

In fact, Bryan is the top ranking full-back in the entire league, following on from ranking as the top left-back last season.

look, I am not saying he was the best in my opinion, that wouldn't be possible as I don't obviously watch every game every week,  personally the guy at Fulham was the best I saw ..sseignon or however you spell it .   My point is the stats say he was one of the best yet people on here were saying he was really poor , I was just asking for people's thoughts on that 

Archived