IGNORED

Cider on CATS

DavidNoble

I have a question or two about this.

Obviously it's an offence on coaches and the like.

also makes it an offence to try to enter a ground when drunk or in possession of alcohol

So, going by the letter of the law- what should it be if someone- as happens weekly at grounds up and down the country- walks up to the ground from say a nearby bar with a plastic pint cup or just a can of beer or similar from the shops? The standard just seems to be, tell them to consume it then put it in the bin before being let in? A solution I agree with indeed.

What about drunk fans in ground? Matter of degree surely- are we seriously suggesting all fans in stadia across the country are sober?? Mass refusals of entry if this enforced to the letter surely! :whistle:

That aside, the law is pretty broad it seems. Thanks to @BobBobSuperBob for posting it in full.

So I've done it a couple of times, but going to Cardiff a few years ago my mate got a right earful for taking some booze on the CATs. The guy had a valid point. If one person gets caught then the whole coach turns around. You'd be very unpopular. For me since then it is a matter of just being a grown up as I'm more than capable of not drinking for a few hours. 

9 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

they have a license to serve alcohol and it can be consumed on route, much like planes, I don't think Coach's have the same luxury 

Not thing to do with licences as such in respect of relevance to travelling to games Monkeh (Though you are correct that if it was legal and the Coach companies wanted to operate a bar they'd need a licence)

The relevance is

'Are you travelling to a designated sporting event' 

As for trains , have to say I wasn't aware that it was an offence as below

Subsection 3 makes it an offence to be in possession of alcohol on a public service vehicle or railway passenger vehicle travelling to or from a designated sporting event.  The penalty on conviction for this offence will be imprisonment and / or a fine

As daft as it is - my understanding is that you could travel by train to London for a game 
Sitting there sipping a Can of Thatchers you would be committing an offence, where Mrs Jones sat opposite , on her way to a shopping weekend and sipping a glass of wine is not

The reality is that , sipping a drink n a train is  unlikely to ever become an issue unless behaviour of the drinker , attracts attention

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Not thing to do with licences as such in respect of relevance to travelling to games Monkeh (Though you are correct that if it was legal and the Coach companies wanted to operate a bar they'd need a licence)

The relevance is

'Are you travelling to a designated sporting event' 

As for trains , have to say I wasn't aware that it was an offence as below

Subsection 3 makes it an offence to be in possession of alcohol on a public service vehicle or railway passenger vehicle travelling to or from a designated sporting event.  The penalty on conviction for this offence will be imprisonment and / or a fine

I thought that was only on the 'specials'. Got caught out once heading back to Manchester after xmas shopping/weekend in London and the police tried to confiscate my decent brandy.  Never really understood that as it was a scheduled service and I had nothing to do with the footie.  Perhaps it was plods way of filling up their yuletide drinks cabinet.

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I have a question or two about this.

Obviously it's an offence on coaches and the like.

So, going by the letter of the law- what should it be if someone- as happens weekly at grounds up and down the country- walks up to the ground from say a nearby bar with a plastic pint cup or just a can of beer or similar from the shops? The standard just seems to be, tell them to consume it then put it in the bin before being let in? A solution I agree with indeed.

What about drunk fans in ground? Matter of degree surely- are we seriously suggesting all fans in stadia across the country are sober?? Mass refusals of entry if this enforced to the letter surely! :whistle:

That aside, the law is pretty broad it seems. Thanks to @BobBobSuperBob for posting it in full.

Luckily - common sense and disgression still has a place Mr P

It's a bit of legislation that can be used if the need arises 

42 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

That legislation seems very sweeping but the devil with these things is in the definitions.  I know for example that you can have a beer (or a cider) and watch the game at Conference South level; as The Wealdstone Raider demonstrated and I have also done.  So you'd also be able to drink in the coach on the way.

So it must be a question of what counts as a designated event. I'd have thought it was perfectly legal to tank back the ciders on a CATS coach going to a pre-season friendly for example.

You can of course drink alcohol in a moving vehicle; there's nothing illegal about that per se.

Surely if you remove one hand from the steering wheel to pick up a bottle of wine and guzzle it, that has to be illegal? 

30 minutes ago, Chivs said:

Surely if you remove one hand from the steering wheel to pick up a bottle of wine and guzzle it, that has to be illegal? 

Only under these vague rules the police sometimes apply like doing somebody for eating an apple whilst driving.

I swig from a water bottle whilst driving; I don't see what difference that would make if it was gin rather than water as long as I remained within the legal alcohol limit for driving.

This subject always opens debate, it's great the full legislation has been copied on here but again what is a regulated football match.

it is a football game played between teams of which one is currently playing at conference north/ south or above. 

The legislation does not count for trains, and coach companies also have to abide by traffic commissioners rules as well, which are similar around alcohol on board but also give guidelines as to how early they can arrive in the place where the game is taking place, notifying local police etc 

train companies use their own bye laws to make certain trains dry trains where no alcohol can be brought or consumed. It then becomes an offence under the bye law for train travel .

coach companies can face huge fines and ultimately the removal of their operators  licence if found in breach , unfortunately the driver and the company are those that are prosecuted if any offences of alcohol on board are found .

it is very confusing with 2 separate acts of legislation covering alcohol on board passenger carrying vehicles.

hopefully this helps a little. 

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

When you see a train driving down the M4, your last concern should be whether they allow drink on them..! 

The quote i was referring to was "Alcohol is not allowed to be consumed in vehicles, wherever they are going". No mention of the M4 or any other motorway for that matter, i was simply highlighting the fact that the law does not inhibit all "vehicles". 

1 hour ago, redsince82 said:

The quote i was referring to was "Alcohol is not allowed to be consumed in vehicles, wherever they are going". No mention of the M4 or any other motorway for that matter, i was simply highlighting the fact that the law does not inhibit all "vehicles". 

So if I go to Reading by Skateboard, then I can get pissed up on the way..?! :yes:

On ‎29‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 19:00, DavidNoble said:

Just wondering whether fans are allowed to take cider cans on the away coach travel service.

I'd quite like to bring a few tins to Reading away but just want to check.

CTID

you know the answer that's why you haven't responded to any of the answers. What a waste of time you are

On 29/08/2017 at 19:07, Bar BS3 said:

You'll be fine. I think they also encourage the use of flares, blunt missiles and some class A drugs. 

They are renowned for their lawless nature, especially the phsyopaths on coach one. 

"They do what they want....!"

I'm unsure of what goes into the "homemade" scones on 'coach one'....I can't seem to remember much(if anything)from that day at all.....

Archived