IGNORED

Hinds, Moore and Morrell join Cheltenham

View from the Dolman

We are IMO following a sensible strategy of developing a group of young and promising players, they will inevitably reach a stage where they are not going to be in our  first team and need more challenge and experience than reserve of under 23 games can offer. Although one could argue about the pros and cons of these three heading to Cheltenham they certainly need regular football at a level higher than they'd get if they stayed at AG. Personally, I see the benefits of all three heading to Cheltenham, they will be able to support each other, are just up the road which means it's less disruptive for them and easier for the club to monitor their development and the Johnson link is not a bad thing. Good move in my view.

5 hours ago, spudski said:

It's only for 4 months.

Don't knock where they are going to. I think it will suit all parties, more so us tbh. It will be easier to keep an eye on their progression, not just through match's, but in training as well.

Plus the relationship with manager will be more trustworthy, I should imagine.

For what it's worth, I was really impressed with Plavotic last night....his development has come on leaps and bounds since joining Cheltenham.

They'll get plenty of game time and better development at Cheltenham, than some random club we've got no 'affiliation' with imo.

Spudski, as always, hits the nail on the head.

Maybe GJ is helping us out?! Maybe no one else wanted them in L1?

Can see the advantage of this as LJ will get a complete insight into the players from someone he really trusts. Don't think we'd get that from any other clubs in L1 or L2

EDIT: also location is perfect as they can stay with our first team/trainers for part of the week and not need to 'up sticks' and move

2 hours ago, Show Me The Money! said:

Sorry, maybe my misunderstanding of how loans work. I'd have thought the players would be training with their new team mates and building those playing relationships than coming back to us to train.

With a lot of loans, especially short term and where locality allows, players will spend at least some time with their parent club training, with a season long loan or for example Moores loan to Bury they will train 100% of the time with that club, so they will not train 100% with us as obviously that would make it somewhat difficult to work on tactics etc, but most clubs don't train on that for the whole of their time, they may have a Monday session where they review the previous game and a couple of days where they prepare for the next game but there will be some "dead space" in the week where they are just training, be it gym work or general fitness where the player can come and spend time back with us. 

Which would allow them to spend some of that time with us, it may only be a couple of afternoons or maybe 1 day but that would not be possible with anything further afield.

Taylor Moore by all accounts was ok on his spell at Bury, he didn't pull up any trees so it may well be that Cheltenham were the only team that wanted him, or maybe there were league 1 sides that did but wern't prepared to give him the game time that we wanted, or we weren't happy with their plans for them, or any number of reasons, or maybe they wanted him for the full season but we only wanted him to go out until Jan.

So there are many, many reasons other than the standard of the side they have gone to that come into the decision, just as you can pretty much guarantee that there were better clubs than us after Tammy.

16 minutes ago, Spud55 said:

With a lot of loans, especially short term and where locality allows, players will spend at least some time with their parent club training, with a season long loan or for example Moores loan to Bury they will train 100% of the time with that club, so they will not train 100% with us as obviously that would make it somewhat difficult to work on tactics etc, but most clubs don't train on that for the whole of their time, they may have a Monday session where they review the previous game and a couple of days where they prepare for the next game but there will be some "dead space" in the week where they are just training, be it gym work or general fitness where the player can come and spend time back with us. 

Which would allow them to spend some of that time with us, it may only be a couple of afternoons or maybe 1 day but that would not be possible with anything further afield.

Taylor Moore by all accounts was ok on his spell at Bury, he didn't pull up any trees so it may well be that Cheltenham were the only team that wanted him, or maybe there were league 1 sides that did but wern't prepared to give him the game time that we wanted, or we weren't happy with their plans for them, or any number of reasons, or maybe they wanted him for the full season but we only wanted him to go out until Jan.

So there are many, many reasons other than the standard of the side they have gone to that come into the decision, just as you can pretty much guarantee that there were better clubs than us after Tammy.

At least one of last years promoted sides tried to get Tammy, Brighton I think.

The effort LJ and MA went through to secure the loan was brilliant and a big part of him joining us.

I seem to recall Chelsea weren't interested in Tammy coming to us, until they did a presentation to a number of the high up people to convince them.

Then there was LJ going to Tammys house to convince him we would be a good club for him to join.

2 minutes ago, brizzlelou said:

Would've preferred them to go to Plymouth.

What if Plymouth didn't want them? A lot of people on this thread seem to think there were other options on the table. I've seen no evidence of that whatsoever and with the window closing tomorrow the deal would seem to suit all parties

1 minute ago, Big C said:

What if Plymouth didn't want them? A lot of people on this thread seem to think there were other options on the table. I've seen no evidence of that whatsoever and with the window closing tomorrow the deal would seem to suit all parties

Pretty sure there were better loan offers for Talyor than Cheltenham 

Where's the evidence? I'm sure Moore has a representative, do you honestly believe if there were better offers on the table then he would have let him go to Cheltenham?

5 minutes ago, brizzlelou said:

What makes you so sure? Taylor has to agree to move as well and I bet if a League One club was interested then his agent would be aware so it's not as if we can say there wasn't an offer. Maybe he chose to go there because he wanted first team football rather than bench time at a League One club. 

1 minute ago, JamesBCFC said:

At least one of last years promoted sides tried to get Tammy, Brighton I think.

The effort LJ and MA went through to secure the loan was brilliant and a big part of him joining us.

I seem to recall Chelsea weren't interested in Tammy coming to us, until they did a presentation to a number of the high up people to convince them.

Then there was LJ going to Tammys house to convince him we would be a good club for him to join.

Yea, Brighton rings a bell with me as well.

Thats the things with Loans, they are for the players development, we have to do whats best for their development, which does not necessarily mean giving them to the best team to play, they need to go where they are going to play the most, and with modern loans clauses are usually written into the deal that stipulates playing time, so it could well be that Plymouth were interested in Moore, but weren't willing to give him the game time that we wanted while Cheltenham were willing to say he will basically start every game he's available.

So before people jump off at the deep end it is worth remembering that many, many other factors come into these decisions than a simple who's the best team, the 3 of them playing 20 games at league 2 will do far more for their development than playing a few games at league 1 or 5 minutes here and there, U-23 football is not even close to comparable with competitive football, look at how many Prem under 21 sides got comfortably beaten by league 1/2 sides in the JPT.

There's no evidence but I would be flabbergasted if Cheltenham were the only ones

So you believe that Moore's representative would let him go to Cheltenham just to help out Lee's dad instead of going to a better side that had made an offer?

6 hours ago, spudski said:

It's only for 4 months.

Don't knock where they are going to. I think it will suit all parties, more so us tbh. It will be easier to keep an eye on their progression, not just through match's, but in training as well.

For what it's worth, I was really impressed with Plavotic last night....his development has come on leaps and bounds since joining Cheltenham.

They'll get plenty of game time and better development at Cheltenham, than some random club we've got no 'affiliation' with imo.

Plavotic will be pushing for the first team in the next 18 months. Has a certain something about him that makes him stand out from the other defenders. Reminds me a bit of Harry McGuire.

the three that have gone to Cheltenham are to get game time and experience of mens football, win win for a short loan and GJ keeping an eye on them for his boy

2 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Plavotic will be pushing for the first team in the next 18 months. Has a certain something about him that makes him stand out from the other defenders. Reminds me a bit of Harry McGuire.

the three that have gone to Cheltenham are to get game time and experience of mens football, win win for a short loan and GJ keeping an eye on them for his boy

Plavotic is slower than Flint

Major over reaction to the trio going on loan to cheltnham !

Game time in professinal football is the most important thing . Not which team it is !

close to bristol and also surely good all three play together ?

hopefully all do well then maybe a bigger and better team in January ?

6 hours ago, spudski said:

It's only for 4 months.

In general, I agree with most of your post.

In respect of the highlighted section, however, and given your obvious local knowledge/contacts, why do we never seem to loan players to Forest Green?

15 minutes ago, INCRED said:

He's certainly composed, very languid in style. Seems to have loads of time, his distribution is very good too. Picks a pass well. He covers ground in the same way Hegeler does, looks slow, but has a massive stride.

Archived