IGNORED

Luke Steele - Confirmed signing.

Phileas Fogg

Seen a few comments from others who've also seen this rumour but no thread yet and most people seem unaware

A few rumours on twitter about Luke Steele joining us. Currently playing for Panathinaikos Greece including from this guy who claims to be on the same flight.

Seems a very plausible rumour, played most of his football for Barnsley.

IMG_0728.PNG

IMG_0729.PNG

Just posted on another thread, decent age for a keeper (33 next month) loads of Championship experience whilst at Barnsley, three years in Greece with over 60 first team games there, lost his place last season but seems a logical fit.

Wonder if it would see Lucic leave today?

Played for Barnsley so we're definitely interested. 

On paper he is a good signing but hasn't played in England for awhile. Going from Greece to the English second tier might take some getting used to again. Apparently they don't want him and in the last year of his contract so would be little in terms of a fee. 32 years old though. Not awfully old for a keeper but would prefer someone a bit younger. Granted may be no such keeper available. 

13 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

'Lost his placeat Panathakios in November 2016 after some poor displays and expected to leave in the summer'

(Wikipedia)

A lot of the reason foreign players get dropped/moved on in Greek football is due to the meltdown in their economy and clubs having no money. Most have big appearance bonuses and stuff like that so they get dropped so the club don`t have to pay these. Several foreign players have left the country recently and stated this was the reason they did.

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Just posted on another thread, decent age for a keeper (33 next month) loads of Championship experience whilst at Barnsley, three years in Greece with over 60 first team games there, lost his place last season but seems a logical fit.

You'd think there'd be a high possibility of Lucic going out on loan if this is true.

I remember LJ saying last year they'd found it tough for Lucic to get domestic loans as he was an unknown quantity, that hasn't really changed and his last loan wasn't a great success in terms of first team football.

Needs regular games preferably in English football.

4 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Played for Barnsley so we're definitely interested. 

On paper he is a good signing but hasn't played in England for awhile. Going from Greece to the English second tier might take some getting used to again. Apparently they don't want him and in the last year of his contract so would be little in terms of a fee. 32 years old though. Not awfully old for a keeper but would prefer someone a bit younger. Granted may be no such keeper available. 

It's a good age for a keeper. I imagine there'd be little to no fee involved with this. If they look after themselves, many keepers can carry on until nearly 40 - that's fine for us considering the small outlay.

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I've got a feeling Lucic's time with us is coming to an end. Think he was a gamble and brought in as a bit older than our other young keepers. Thinking they hoped they could get more out of him. Think we are keeping him around so our other young keepers can get some more senior football but can see O'Leary being number 2 next season. 

Problem with a loan for Lucic is it would need to be in England but not sure many would be keen to take a chance on an unknown foreign keeper. I expect him to end up back towards Eastern Europe by this time next year. Again just my feeling on it. Doesn't look any better than last season. I thought he did ok last year but not one to make us better

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It's a good age for a keeper. I imagine there'd be little to no fee involved with this. If they look after themselves, many keepers can carry on until nearly 40 - that's fine for us considering the small outlay.

No doubt just a preference on my part. Again, we've probably looked at younger if we're in the market so no problems here. Just hope he's a worker and stays in good shape. 

2 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I've got a feeling Lucic's time with us is coming to an end. Think he was a gamble and brought in as a bit older than our other young keepers. Thinking they hoped they could get more out of him. Think we are keeping him around so our other young keepers can get some more senior football but can see O'Leary being number 2 next season. 

Problem with a loan for Lucic is it would need to be in England but not sure many would be keen to take a chance on an unknown foreign keeper. I expect him to end up back towards Eastern Europe by this time next year. Again just my feeling on it. Doesn't look any better than last season. I thought he did ok last year but not one to make us better

100% agree.

Austrian football is not of a very high standard but I wondered if he might head home.

Other alternative is that we cancel his contract today and he is then free to find a new club outside the window,

Thought it strange he didn't start for the U21s on Monday, with O'Leary & Wollacott both getting new deals this would all make sense.

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

No doubt just a preference on my part. Again, we've probably looked at younger if we're in the market so no problems here. Just hope he's a worker and stays in good shape. 

I see what you're saying, I think though that we can be a bit snobby about age. 

Some of our most effective signings over the past decade have been in their 30s - Hartley, Adebola, Wilbraham - and they were outfield players!

We've got a very young squad and could do with a few experienced heads in my opinion.

Goalkeepers in their 20s can be quite expensive because they're an investment for many years.

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

You might be right here. I've liked Lucic on the few occasions I've seen him, but he is unlikely to get any chance of a run anytime soon, as LJ doesn't believe he's ready. 

The loan market for him looks tricky in England, as we would need him to be the 1st choice keeper for a top League 1 side at the very least. If we retain him, a loan overseas looks more likely, but it would need to be Championship equivalent if we are to derive any benefit. It might be time to cut our losses and let him leave. 

Just flashed up on Facebook from Bristol City FC Supporters Page saying that we've handed him a trial.

If that is right I can only imagine his contract has been cancelled and is a free agent, otherwise he won't be signing/playing before January. Can't see why we'd be taking a player on trial on deadline day...

They're either on an exclusive, or have it wrong on there.

48 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I understand the comments on Lucic, so why did LJ select him as sub keeper in all our games so far? Why not O'Leary?

I think Lucic is around because he's a bit older than O'Leary and is taking pressure off O'Leary to be the #2 at 20 years old. Imo, O'Leary will be loaned out again to a conference side possibly for awhile to gain more experience and Lucic will stick around with the U23 and backup until a new keeper comes in. It's all my opinion though. Just don't think they want to bring O'Leary up too fast. 

Archived