IGNORED

Concourse seating (lack of)

Rich

Do other people think that it's about time some seating was provided in the concourse areas, for those that need to sit for a while?

I asked this question on the Q&A section,after taking my brother in law to a game last season, he hasn't been since.  He has certain mobility problems but can walk with assistance and we as a family would like to include him in our and his match day experience. As it turned out, we had to take him into the seated area and leave him there, then take him back down for the toilets, then back to the stand for the game, he was not able to be part of our group. After initial contact from Mark Kelly, no more was heard.

I've just asked this question over a week ago and nobody has replied as yet.

Q: Is there any update on providing some seating on the perimeter walls for those less able bodied souls that need to sit but, still want to enjoy the experience of being with other fans, family members, or friends, enjoying a drink and a chat, prior to or even after a match?

There are several areas where drop down seating could be installed, which would not cause any more of an obstruction than somebody standing against a wall.

The drop down seating itself would not cause an obstruction, as it sits close to the wall, closer than you'd walk to the wall anyway.

The seating cannot be classed as a fire hazard, otherwise it wouldn't be used in the stadium itself. 

The lack of seating in these areas, puts off many people from going into the concourse and spending their money in the food and drink outlets.

I find it amazing that two years on from the Dolman and South Stand developments being completed, and one year on for the Lansdown stand, there is still a lack of this facility for people with the need to sit. You find seating in all communal public areas, such as in theatres and cinema complexes, why not at football grounds.

I charge the club with doing something about this, sometimes you need to look after the less well off supporter, as well as those in the hospitality areas.

3 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Health & safety won't allow it!! The club are trying to sort something out but it's really out of the clubs hands.

What about seating around the walls, benches or seats that spring back?

This would then prevent tripping, prevent blocking of gang ways, I guess this would of already been looked at, just a thought.

Health and safety is a mysterious thing. The space we have in the concourses at the Gate is considerably more than most grounds we go to or in the Premiership. Can't see how we can't do some seating - we'd still be safer than most grounds. 

It's very easy to site Health and safety as the reason. What could the reasons be?

We already have bins, pillars, taped off areas, bars in pinch points, people selling draw tickets in the concourse areas, causing obstructions. As I stated in my question, any so called health and safety issue should be easily overcome. There are many public areas with seating provided. It should not take two years to reach an agreement to provide basic facilities for those people that need to sit after a short time.

I believe it's more to do with cost and the lack of desire to get it provided.

10 minutes ago, Rich said:

It's very easy to site Health and safety as the reason. What could the reasons be?

We already have bins, pillars, taped off areas, bars in pinch points, people selling draw tickets in the concourse areas, causing obstructions. As I stated in my question, any so called health and safety issue should be easily overcome. There are many public areas with seating provided. It should not take two years to reach an agreement to provide basic facilities for those people that need to sit after a short time.

Surely with the amount of money that's been ploughed into the facilities we're not skimping over the cost of a few trestle tables? 

Seems a no brainer to implement if we are legally able to do so, so I'd imagine there's a valid reason that it's not there. Maybe @Mkelly could advise 

3 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Surely with the amount of money that's been ploughed into the facilities we're not skimping over the cost of a few trestle tables? 

Seems a no brainer to implement if we are legally able to do so, so I'd imagine there's a valid reason that it's not there. Maybe @Mkelly could advise 

If only M Kelly would respond. The question was put on the Q&A section on August 21. I know he's been on that section as he's responded to others.

It's not tables that are required, it's seating, of the fold down variety, which can go onto perimeter walls and won't cause an obstruction, or a fire hazard. Just like those we have within the stadium, they don't even need backs. At the moment there are some low window cills that people perch on, if you get there soon enough.

22 minutes ago, Toffee dog said:

This would then prevent tripping, prevent blocking of gang ways, I guess this would of already been looked at, just a thought.

See the previous post!   #2

7 minutes ago, Rich said:

If only M Kelly would respond. The question was put on the Q&A section on August 21. I know he's been on that section as he's responded to others.

It's not tables that are required, it's seating, of the fold down variety, which can go onto perimeter walls and won't cause an obstruction, or a fire hazard. Just like those we have within the stadium, they don't even need backs. At the moment there are some low window cills that people perch on, if you get there soon enough.

My point was more that cost surely isn't the issue given the vast investment in the stadium. Hopefully he can clear it up if he sees this. 

1 minute ago, View from the Dolman said:

Anyone got examples of other concourses with seating?

I've seen some on level 2 at Wembley ("Club Wembley") but not sure I've seen it in "general admission" type areas.

I was thinking the same. Other than Wembley I can't ever recall seeing a seat in a concourse. I imagine there is a barrier besides cost. 

1 minute ago, View from the Dolman said:

Anyone got examples of other concourses with seating?

I've seen some on level 2 at Wembley ("Club Wembley") but not sure I've seen it in "general admission" type areas.

Obviously the club Wembley members aren't considered worthy of health and safety concerns, in that stadium but, the general public (plebs) are.

4 minutes ago, Blagdon red said:

I don't believe post #2.

I'd heard it before when the topic came up before and it made sense. 

We all know how crowded and hectic the concourse gets on a matchday and seats around the walls would reduce what space there is even more.

17 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

There will be a reason or even two..... but whether the reason/s are VALID or not will no doubt be debateable.

4 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I was thinking the same. Other than Wembley I can't ever recall seeing a seat in a concourse. I imagine there is a barrier besides cost. 

I don't believe for one minute that health and safety concerns cannot be overcome, if there are any. While we have large numbers using the concourse facilities, there would seem less of a concern or hurry, to provide extra facilities, for people that are at present excluded.

24 minutes ago, Toffee dog said:

Do you honestly think the club haven't investigated those options? They have tried various options & all have been rejected because if there is an emergency evacuation they could cause an accident!! 

Yes it's unlikely for the need of an emergency evacuation but that is basically H&S's stance on things.

24 minutes ago, Rich said:

Do you truly believe your last sentence? Because if you truly believe that after everything that has been spent to give you & everyone else a stadium to be proud of & that after spending more than £40m on giving you that stadium that they wouldn't add a few seats in the concourse because of cost, you clearly have no idea & very little gratitude for what has been supplied for you!!

May I suggest that if you think it's because the club can't afford it, why don't you offer to pay for it to be done yourself?

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I'd heard it before when the topic came up before and it made sense. 

We all know how crowded and hectic the concourse gets on a matchday and seats around the walls would reduce what space there is even more.

People are the obstacles, if seating were of the drop down type, it would not cause an obstruction.

It's ok to have vendors trolleys blocking the concourse area, and bins plus many other things which provide income, but provide a seat for someone at a cost and H&S suddenly comes into it.

10 minutes ago, Rich said:

Obviously the club Wembley members aren't considered worthy of health and safety concerns, in that stadium but, the general public (plebs) are.

I think there are almost certainly differences between the space available (on a per person basis) in the Club Wembley concourses and in the "general admission" areas. That's certainly my experience.

8 minutes ago, Rich said:

I don't believe for one minute that health and safety concerns cannot be overcome, if there are any. While we have large numbers using the concourse facilities, there would seem less of a concern or hurry, to provide extra facilities, for people that are at present excluded.

I'm just saying if no football club in the country are doing it then there's obviously a reason that can't be overcome....

6 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Do you honestly think the club haven't investigated those options? They have tried various options & all have been rejected because if there is an emergency evacuation they could cause an accident!! 

Yes it's unlikely for the need of an emergency evacuation but that is basically H&S's stance on things.

Do you truly believe your last sentence? Because if you truly believe that after everything that has been spent to give you & everyone else a stadium to be proud of & that after spending more than £40m on giving you that stadium that they wouldn't add a few seats in the concourse because of cost, you clearly have no idea & very little gratitude for what has been supplied for you!!

May I suggest that if you think it's because the club can't afford it, why don't you offer to pay for it to be done yourself?

If you read my post I said it was just a thought & guess the club had already looked at it!

4 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

May I suggest that you take your head from out of your backside and show a little respect to a fellow supporter.

Of course I have considered all of those things you mention and yes, I do believe it's for the reasons I've stated. The ground has been developed to provide as much income as possible, That's why it's full of bars, shops and places to relieve you of your money.

Am I grateful, yes, of course I am but I'm not gullible or stupid enough to think the problem, if there truly is one, could not have been overcome by now, if there was a desire to so do.

6 minutes ago, Rich said:

May I suggest that you take your head from out of your backside and show a little respect to a fellow supporter.

Of course I have considered all of those things you mention and yes, I do believe it's for the reasons I've stated. The ground has been developed to provide as much income as possible, That's why it's full of bars, shops and places to relieve you of your money.

Am I grateful, yes, of course I am but I'm not gullible or stupid enough to think the problem, if there truly is one, could not have been overcome by now, if there was a desire to so do.

So every club in the country lacks the desire to 'overcome the obstacles' to provide can concourse seating? 

I don't know if it IS a healh and safety issue or not, but if the HSE say you can't do something, then you can't do something. Doesn't matter how much 'desire' there is. 

I don't believe for one second that the club are wilfully not installing seats in the concourse because it costs too much. 

The club are as frustrated as you are about this, it's something so basic & so easy but simply put, if the club installed seats in the concourse, it would mean no fans being allowed in the stadium as the club wouldn't get the necessary safety certificates!!

What would you prefer?

BTW, makes no difference to me as I've been unable to attend a game for 2 & a half years but I can assure you it has nothing to do with cost (although I still think you must be joking about that being a reason).

How many people do you think may injure / fall over such seating while entering / exiting the stadium? Those that then fall could get stood on & then you have a massive incident on your hands. And just imagine the legal proceedings that would be lodged against the club for injuries or worse!!

Yes it's extreme but it is very much a possibility especially when 20,000 people are all trying to exit & people are in such a rush, not everyone is 30 years old & able bodied but everyone exits the stadium at the same time.

Archived