IGNORED

Rory Holden

EmersonsRed

3 hours ago, EmersonsRed said:

Thought his interview deserved its own thread. Highly recommend watching it. Never seen a young player so happy to be here!! Certainly done his research too.

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/bctv/

What a lovely, well spoken young man. Welcome to the club.

Whilst I am sure your comments concerning Rory Holden are correct and well justified, the link would appear to be to the interview given by the young man who signed from Luton, Tyreek Bakinson :whistle:.

Tyreeq seems pretty excited to be here too.

I'm impressed with how all of our recent signings come across, including Steele.  Seems like the club are staying true to their Dna mantra, and interesting to hear LJ talk about players being first and foremost 'good people' as well having talent. 

8 minutes ago, Red Army Faction said:

I'm impressed with how all of our recent signings come across, including Steele.  Seems like the club are staying true to their Dna mantra, and interesting to hear LJ talk about players being first and foremost 'good people' as well having talent. 

Can only think of one footballer we've had recently who's not been a "good person"...

9 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Whilst I am sure your comments concerning Rory Holden are correct and well justified, the link would appear to be to the interview given by the young man who signed from Luton, Tyreek Bakinson :whistle:.

Nope... You can't link to direct interviews, they don't have their own URLs... So I linked to the web page where they all are :)

4 minutes ago, EmersonsRed said:

Nope... You can't link to direct interviews, they don't have their own URLs... So I linked to the web page where they all are :)

Indeed, and please accept my apologies!

When I clicked on the link earlier this morning it went straight to the TB interview, so I thought I would just let you know.

I didn't have time to listen to any of the interviews earlier, but I have now heard all three and can only reiterate your comments about RH and, indeed, say that both the new goalkeeper, Luke Steele (especially) and TB also seem warm, articulate and decent young men.

With only one notable exception that I can think of, recently departed across the Bristol Channel, there does seem to have been a conscious decision taken by the club to pay special attention to the characters of their new signings, and I can only hope this leads to a warm atmosphere within the club and the players' changing room.  

12 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Indeed, and please accept my apologies!

When I clicked on the link earlier this morning it went straight to the TB interview, so I thought I would just let you know.

I didn't have time to listen to any of the interviews earlier, but I have now heard all three and can only reiterate your comments about RH and, indeed, say that both the new goalkeeper, Luke Steele (especially) and TB also seem warm, articulate and decent young men.

With only one notable exception that I can think of, recently departed across the Bristol Channel, there does seem to have been a conscious decision taken by the club to pay special attention to the characters of their new signings, and I can only hope this leads to a warm atmosphere within the club and the players' changing room.  

There is mate. City have turned down players in the past because of their 'personality'. The Scouts do a lot of detective work finding out about them as people, family life, background etc. This is what the staff mean when they talk about 'fit' and 'dna'.

19 minutes ago, spudski said:

There is mate. City have turned down players in the past because of their 'personality'. The Scouts do a lot of detective work finding out about them as people, family life, background etc. This is what the staff mean when they talk about 'fit' and 'dna'.

And still signed Tomlin!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Bedred31 said:

My link connected to a 20 interview with LJ. Really interesting and in fairness to LJ he came over very well. Impression is of a fairly cohesive, united squad, with some excellent young players coming through. 

Indeed. Anyone who actually listened to Johnson speaking in-depth about the way he wants City to play, train and behave would struggle to say that he's "clueless". Naive, maybe, in the case of his tactical decisions, but certainly not an idiot.

8 hours ago, Red Army Faction said:

Genuine question RAF. I understand the need for signings to be good lads as its a squad game and we dont want any bad apples, although of course players can end up that way if they feel they are being poorly treated. What due dilligence though, do you think is done on the strength of character? I'm asking because from the outside looking in, it seems like Engvall hasn't settled here and was homesick People can think what they like about the Swedish league, but he is doing pretty well back home and will play against good opposition on a fair few occasions so is clearly talented.

It must be difficlut to gauge how someone from elsewhere will cope with a move, but you would like to think a northern european would handle it better than most.

As I say, a genuine question.

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Any examples of that? I know we did with Jermaine Easter a few years back.. would be interesting to know who else!

2 hours ago, Bedred31 said:

My link connected to a 20 interview with LJ. Really interesting and in fairness to LJ he came over very well. Impression is of a fairly cohesive, united squad, with some excellent young players coming through. 

Yep very enjoyable interview. Really like all those in depth ones. I do enjoy listening to LJ.

8 hours ago, Loon plage said:

Genuine question RAF. I understand the need for signings to be good lads as its a squad game and we dont want any bad apples, although of course players can end up that way if they feel they are being poorly treated. What due dilligence though, do you think is done on the strength of character? I'm asking because from the outside looking in, it seems like Engvall hasn't settled here and was homesick People can think what they like about the Swedish league, but he is doing pretty well back home and will play against good opposition on a fair few occasions so is clearly talented.

It must be difficlut to gauge how someone from elsewhere will cope with a move, but you would like to think a northern european would handle it better than most.

As I say, a genuine question.

Wish knew the answer.  I do recall LJ talking about a player (not sure which one) being highly regarded within the game so I guess that'll be anyone that may worked with him in the past or scouted him.

Family background, I guess would count.  So going to see Tammy's family may not just have been about convincing them about Bristol City but also finding out more about their values and how Tammy was with his family.

I'm sure I read an article someone posted on here about checking out a potential players' social media profile.  Does he have picture of flash cars and nights on the lash or holiday snaps with his girlfriend and or family?

As I say I don't know how they check this out, but I have been impressed with how genuine alot of our recent signing have been and how well they come across. 

As far a Engvall goes, I dont think anyone could foresee he would find it difficult to settle here.  Most Scandinavians seem to settle well in the UK, though he's supposed to be from quite a small community. Any foreign player carries this risk but I would not in any way see being homesick as being a character flaw in itself.

11 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

He's driven me round the twist in last 12 -18 months with a lot of his media stuff

BUT

Totally Agree - Another good interview by LJ

Sounded calm and confident again

I think he's learning.. still interesting and eloquent but without any hyperbolic or naive statements that may come back to haunt him.

9 hours ago, Red Army Faction said:

As far a Engvall goes, I dont think anyone could foresee he would find it difficult to settle here.  Most Scandinavians seem to settle well in the UK, though he's supposed to be from quite a small community. Any foreign player carries this risk but I would not in any way see being homesick as being a character flaw in itself.

I`ve thought this right from the start and it`s not something anyone could be expected to know no matter how much research and due diligence you do.

I equate it with someone who leaves home for the first time to go to university at the other end of the country and drops out because they can`t cope with being away from their comfort zone. I know many people that have had that happen with their kids.

Archived