IGNORED

Spain?

stephenkibby.

To be fair to England the other night, as dreadful a performance as it was overall, some of the movement, especially by Rashford was top notch. Our problem was the guy with the ball either missed it or wasn't confident enough to make the pass. Every midfielder in the Spanish side would have seen it and played the pass. Interestingly when Vardy made a good run Rashford did see it and make the pass but Vardy just couldn't wrap his foot round the ball!! Better coached or more talent.....or both!!

14 hours ago, stephenkibby. said:

Then when they receive the ball, being closed down is no problem. The confidence to not welt the ball forward while under pressure is a joy to watch. The movement off the ball is there for all to see.

Many coaches at junior level in this country despair when parents turn up to watch games. All too often a lad will get the ball deep in his own half. If he tries dribbling the ball forward before seeking out an unmarked team mate, all the parents will be yelling out "Boot it upfield"!

2 hours ago, 22A said:

Many coaches at junior level in this country despair when parents turn up to watch games. All too often a lad will get the ball deep in his own half. If he tries dribbling the ball forward before seeking out an unmarked team mate, all the parents will be yelling out "Boot it upfield"!

I know I'm an old un but in my day playing for the school team or the boys club you rarely saw a parent on the line and to get to matches we either caught the bus or rode our bikes. I know times have changed with regards to road traffic and it is likely parents take kids to matches due to this and the Safe Gaurding issues these days.

It's good parents take an interest in their childrens activities but if I were running a kids team, and yes I have managed senior teams, I would insist that if parents wish to stand on the line then they should only give encouragement and hopefully to all the kids playing, and never give advise. Should they not adhere to this then either they do not attend or if they do then their child/children do not get picked to play. Hopefully this would take pressure of the kids, let the teams play how the coaches require and prevent some of the horror stories we hear about with regards to altercations etc with officials, both match and club, players and other supporters.

If it was a choice between City doing unbelievably well, or England, it's the City for me. And I think I'd give Raheem Sterling a miss. 

2 hours ago, 22A said:

It was the coaches telling my lad to "get rid" when he tried to play it out from the back, not the parents. I think the standard of coaching is still the problem. My lad's playing rugby now.

3 hours ago, Cowshed said:

When England reached the semi finals of Italia 90 and Euro 96 the top division was overwhelmingly filled with English players.

Other than the two home tournaments we have held, Italy 1990 is the only time we have ever got as far as a semi final in International competition history, which started in 1930. 

It really is a piss poor record for supposedly one of the Worlds top football nations, I don't see t changing for a long time either.

7 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Other than the two home tournaments we have held, Italy 1990 is the only time we have ever got as far as a semi final in International competition history, which started in 1930. 

It really is a piss poor record for supposedly one of the Worlds top football nations, I don't see t changing for a long time either.

England also reached the semi finals of the European Championships in 1968. 

1 hour ago, Portland Bill said:

has dwindled Other than the two home tournaments we have held, Italy 1990 is the only time we have ever got as far as a semi final in International competition history, which started in 1930. 

The poster made a point regarding foreign players. Since the inception of the EPL which was supposed to be of benefit to the national team the number of foreign players in the top division has exploded, and the number of English players to sometimes nil in English(?) clubs (?) XI's.

The reverse is true in what should be England's peers as a top European footballing nation.

The EPL as pointed out to another poster holds back the development of players in the Country not only at senior level, but from nine. England's development model for kids to youths and on would be unacceptable in other nations.

Spain's football players do not get that good on the ball by accident, and neither do Germany's.

Cause above. Effect getting beat by Iceland, looking laboured on the ball v Malta and decades long failure at International level.

The thing is the FA will never be able to copy the German or Spanish set up whilst most of the EPL is owned by foreign interests. Why would any of these non indigenous owners care about the competitiveness of the England team, all they care about is getting a return on their investment; and as soon as the money making circus leaves town they'll be following it. I think history will show that the Premier League has been the downfall of English football and not the making of it.

8 minutes ago, yardy said:

Was depressing looking at our lineup vs Malta, watching us struggle to beat them then watch France and Spain over the weekend....Really hit home we are miles behind the elite teams in every possible way.

France are currently drawing 0-0 at home against Luxembourg with only 7 minutes remaining. 

I guarantee they'll get a late winner now I've typed that!

2 minutes ago, North London Red said:

France are currently drawing 0-0 at home against Luxembourg with only 7 minutes remaining. 

I guarantee they'll get a late winner now I've typed that!

Haha funnily enough i noticed they was playing and the score 2 mins after typing that :)

They have a very very exciting crop of youngsters coming through, they will be very dangerous in the World Cup

2 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

The one incredible stat from this qualifying is that Switzerland have a 100% record up to now, 8 from 8. Who would have bet on that.

The international break isnt that bad at all. I actually quite enjoy the international scene, as I have become very neutral about England over the years and enjoying seeing other underdogs qualifying. 

It's great to see the small countries are finally getting some shock results and it seems they are slowly catching up with the pretty average teams. Luxembourg tonight drawing 0-0 in France IMO is no fluke, they have beaten Switzerland before and have come close to beating others on many occasions.

Faroes beating Andorra and Andorra beating Hungary a few months back was great to see as well. Also, if we werent English we would all love seeing Wales do better than before. Always love seeing Northern Ireland do well against the odds. Switzerland winning 8 out of 8 is mad really, they arent a bad team at all though.

9 hours ago, North London Red said:

So...France drew at home against Luxembourg. Imagine the outcry if England did that! And France have a much stronger squad of players than England do. Just goes to show it isn't always easy against teams who put ten men behind the ball. 

Doesn't change anything regards the state of English football unfortunately!

10 hours ago, North London Red said:

So...France drew at home against Luxembourg. Imagine the outcry if England did that! And France have a much stronger squad of players than England do. Just goes to show it isn't always easy against teams who put ten men behind the ball. 

that is a surprise England being slow pedestrian lacking in passing range and flair is not and has not been for a long time. kids approaching their teens have never seen a  good England team.

2 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Doesn't change anything regards the state of English football unfortunately!

France had 34 shots on goal.

I think denial doesn't change anything.

The Germans post Euro 2000 unrolled a massive technical programme and regional football centres to coach kids and educate coaches throughout the Country. There are now 100 of these centres to complement the a club academy system.

The FA and the EPL were loathe to launch the FA technical directors (Brooking) skills programme - He had to get a supermarket chain to sponsor it.

On 03/09/2017 at 08:57, Robbored said:

England are essentially way too conservative and have been ever since Bobby Robson was the main man. 

As both an Englishman and a football fan I feel I have to watch England whenever they play and I always expect to see something different but the first half against Malta was just as it's been for 20+ years - dreadfully boring..............:sleeping:

No idea how to break down a team intent on defending and England only won the game after Malta had tired in the last few mins.

With the FA man, Mr Dull in charge it won't get any better.........:facepalm:

You missed Venables and Hoddles reign did you ?

:facepalm::facepalm:

And some of our performances under Bobby Robson were dire btw

Lovely bloke suddenly immortalised because we played well a couple of times in Mexico tripped and stumbled to the semis of Italia 90

(And I went to all England games through these eras)

Your football understanding is laughable at times

:yes:

9 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

You missed Venables and Hoddles reign did you ?

:facepalm::facepalm:

And some of our performances under Bobby Robson were dire btw

Lovely bloke suddenly immortalised because we played well a couple of times in Mexico tripped and stumbled to the semis of Italia 90

(And I went to all England games through these eras)

Your football understanding is laughable at times

:yes:

Old guard has gone. trying young players, promoting from the U teams. get called conservative. not sure what Southgate is supposed to do. could bring in Carrick get him to grow a proper beard and tell him he is Pirlo!!!!

Archived