IGNORED

Wright or flint

bengalcub

1 hour ago, bengalcub said:

Except I don't believe that quote is accurate. I listened to the Steve Lansdown interview with Twentyman when it went out live, and recall it more like this :

GT: what if you were offered ten million? 

SL: (grinning) I'd take that. 

A subtle but big difference. Maybe I'm mistaken though, as it would be unlike the revered Bristol Post to misrepresent the facts wouldn't it? 

17 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

Except I don't believe that quote is accurate. I listened to the Steve Lansdown interview with Twentyman when it went out live, and recall it more like this :

GT: what if you were offered ten million? 

SL: (grinning) I'd take that. 

A subtle but big difference. Maybe I'm mistaken though, as it would be unlike the revered Bristol Post to misrepresent the facts wouldn't it? 

Exactly what I heard as well.

On ‎03‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 18:24, bengalcub said:

Why does little lee keep banging on about bailey wright ? Yes he's solid enough but without doubt our strongest pairing is baker and flint , little lee has made a rod for his own back by making wright captain therefor first choice and would have to admit he got it wrong to pick flint over him. 

Which we all know he ain't man enough to do .....

wright everytime

On 9/3/2017 at 14:31, Davefevs said:

I'm still to be convinced how good Wright is, but I think I'm biased by him being poor on the ball on his left side, and I'm coming round to how decent he is now he's playing on the right. 

I think the interesting thing here is out of Flint and Wright it was Wright we felt could cope best with being on the wrong side not Flint. 

2 hours ago, Monkeh said:

made up evening post article isn't proof listen to the twenty man interview

My understanding of that piece was that although the post said 10mil for Flint, SL was actually talking about Flint and Bryan together, having turned down a 5mil bid for them.

So I agree with you the post piece is just plain wrong AGAIN.

16 hours ago, chinapig said:

Quite. The idea that it is used as a neutral term or even an affectionate one doesn't stand up. It is pretty much used as rather childish name calling by those who dislike him.

As it's been a nickname for so long your interpretation would mean he's been disliked, and had people trying to undermine him, at numerous clubs throughout his career.

I don't see that as a likely scenario so I'll leave it there.

P.S. Good luck to Little Lee for the rest of the season.

I'm convinced by Flint, and on his displays so far this season, by Baker too.

Not so sure about Wright yet, but that may come.

Certainly going by his recent interview LJ appears to see Baker/Wright as his preferred pairing going forward, and my previous posts about Flint forcing his way back in and staying there may have been a bit optimistic on his behalf.

22 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Some would see it as bad to be a shorter man in a position of management/authority. Emphasising it feels like an attempt by some to undermine his authority. Simple as that really - 'napoleon complex' etc. I'm sure you're aware of this.

I don't really care and have no desire to get drawn into a debate on minutiae (no pun intended) like this but that's my opinion on its usage by some.

The game is football, this is not like Charlie Hebdo making fun of the prophet Mohammed, footballers have really interesting nicknames like Flinty, Wrighty, Fieldy, Bryany (whoops sounds like a girls name),  footballers being such intelligent creatures tend to either add a Y or and O to the surname, Little Lee is just a perfect description of who he actually is and an understanding of the fact that he is the son of our former manager the equally little but older Gary.

You cannot differentiate between people who call him by that moniker into groups of for or against, that is pathetic, in fact I would wager that LJ would far rather be known as little Lee than some other choice names that many a BCFC manager including him has had thrown at them over the years, unless we approve the football nickname of Leeey or Johnsony or Leeo or Johno.

Pass the prawn sandwiches.

9 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

The game is football, this is not like Charlie Hebdo making fun of the prophet Mohammed, footballers have really interesting nicknames like Flinty, Wrighty, Fieldy, Bryany (whoops sounds like a girls name),  footballers being such intelligent creatures tend to either add a Y or and O to the surname, Little Lee is just a perfect description of who he actually is and an understanding of the fact that he is the son of our former manager the equally little but older Gary.

You cannot differentiate between people who call him by that moniker into groups of for or against, that is pathetic, in fact I would wager that LJ would far rather be known as little Lee than some other choice names that many a BCFC manager including him has had thrown at them over the years, unless we approve the football nickname of Leeey or Johnsony or Lee or Johno.

Pass the prawn sandwiches.

Lots of people call him Johno actually.

It doesn't bother me - I doubt it bothers Johnson either. 

It does seem to be people who don't particularly like and/or rate Johnson using the nickname though.

I should never have replied about it initially in hindsight, people on here seem determined to create an argument about it for some reason.

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

There does seem to be a trend that it's people who don't particularly like and/or rate Johnson who use the nickname but there's no way of conclusively telling.

I should never have replied about it initially in hindsight, people on here seem determined to create an argument about it for some reason.

It's overly defensive posters pulling up people and criticising them for using the phrase that seem to be looking for an argument.

There does seem to be a trend that it's people who don't particularly like and/or rate Johnson who use the nickname but there's no way of conclusively telling.

Well let me put it this way, I suspect that between all of us on OTIB, we could come up with close to a million far worse nicknames.

Johno?, could be Gary, Peter, Lyndon, Michael, Jack, Dwayne, Linton Kwesi, Robert, Don etc, etc. to name but a few and that's when confusion creeps in.

On 03/09/2017 at 19:21, Nogbad the Bad said:

Why does it worry you, he's been known as LL all his career afaik, not just at City, so it's very unlikely it bothers him one bit.

On 03/09/2017 at 20:29, Nogbad the Bad said:

People getting all uppity and offended about LJ being called Little Lee.

Seriously weird.

6 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

It's overly defensive posters pulling up people and criticising them for using the phrase that seem to be looking for an argument.

Perhaps, but I feel your posts above from page 1 of this thread (which are replies to separate posts) were the bait for someone to 'bite' and get into a debate about it. Unfortunately I took that bait!

I don't think I've been 'overly defensive' or 'criticised' people personally, just discussing it.

4 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Well let me put it this way, I suspect that between all of us on OTIB, we could come up with close to a million far worse nicknames.

Johno?, could be Gary, Peter, Lyndon, Michael, Jack, Dwayne, Linton Kwesi, Robert, Don etc, etc. to name but a few and that's when confusion creeps in.

Yeah I agree, of course anyone could come up with something worse. Don't think that's the point at hand though.

Perhaps, but I feel your posts above (which are replies to separate posts) were the bait for someone to 'bite' and get into a debate about it. Unfortunately I took that bait!

Yeah I agree, of course anyone could come up with something worse. Don't think that's the point at hand though.

And nor do I Foggo or Foggy, I am obviously not very good at the facetious.

The point is there is no point, to me it's people (and not necessarily you) being outraged on other people's behalf and the UK seem to be world leaders and now it's even crept into our beloved football, whatever next politics?.

4 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

And nor do I Foggo or Foggy, I am obviously not very good at the facetious.

The point is there is no point, to me it's people (and not necessarily you) being outraged on other people's behalf and the UK seem to be world leaders and now it's even crept into our beloved football, whatever next politics?.

Agree - virtue signalling and taking offence over just about anything has become so habitual for some people. Sad and worrying state of affairs.

14 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Perhaps, but I feel your posts above from page 1 of this thread (which are replies to separate posts) were the bait for someone to 'bite' and get into a debate about it. Unfortunately I took that bait!

Not so PF, I didn't post on the thread at all until another poster had criticised the use of LL, so if anything I took the bait.

7 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Agree - virtue signalling and taking offence over just about anything has become so habitual for some people. Sad and worrying state of affairs.

You say that but you have been putting forward a case against those who are pointing out the virtue signalling and unnecessary taking of offence. 

Do you not realise that makes you part of the problem, and you are in fact adding to the very state of affairs that you find sad and worrying?

5 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

You say that but you have been putting forward a case against those who are pointing out the virtue signalling and unnecessary taking of offence. 

Do you not realise that makes you part of the problem, and you are in fact adding to the very state of affairs that you find sad and worrying?

Not a case, just a discussion. Discussing things doesn't make anyone part of the problem, it's healthy. 

Call Johnson what you want - doesn't bother me. I was just replying to you calling people out about it.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I don't see that as a likely scenario so I'll leave it there.

What happened to this!

Archived