IGNORED

Matty Taylor's Having a Party

redordead1

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Young footballers, most footballers except for those right towards the end of their career in fact shouldn't be doing that during season IMO.

No way can footballers who do that- especially if recovering from injury- be in physical condition. They are paid well- professional athletes. About time they started acting like it. If this is true of course.

It's one reason why they- and the club- won't amount to what they should. I'm no puritan, I like a drink but then they should be better than that.

Edit- just seen the post about water. That's ok then...OP seemed to intimate more than water?

I actually think it's pretty healthy for the team to have a few nights out and drink.

The Cotterill double winning team were often out on the town. The bonding element is probably more beneficial than the physical toll of a hangover.

LJ organised a team night out in Tenerife too so I think he'd agree.

Obviously footballers shouldn't be drinking all the time, but a couple of nights out every so often is probably quite a good idea.

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Young footballers, most footballers except for those right towards the end of their career in fact shouldn't be doing that during season IMO.

No way can footballers who do that- especially if recovering from injury- be in physical condition. They are paid well- professional athletes. About time they started acting like it. If this is true of course.

It's one reason why they- and the club- won't amount to what they should. I'm no puritan, I like a drink but then they should be better than that.

Edit- just seen the post about water. That's ok then...OP seemed to intimate more than water?

It was definitely only water they were drinking. 

7 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

It was definitely only water they were drinking. 

That's excellent to hear- I retract my post. I read it and feared the worst.

@Phileas Fogg I just can't agree. Alcohol, the binge effect...don't agree with it with football. Team bonding though is excellent, but the game is so uber competitive now, so well competitive at many levels. Especially this division, that marginal gains...all play a part. LJ organised that, but I don't agree with it.

4 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Well this news has certainly shattered my previous belief that all of our squad spent their time off drinking cocoa and reading works by Jane Austen and Anthony Trollope.

They'd be Happy to know "War and Peace" is on the telly vsoon,so they won't have to read that.......

9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

@Phileas Fogg I just can't agree. Alcohol, the binge effect...don't agree with it with football. Team bonding though is excellent, but the game is so uber competitive now, so well competitive at many levels. Especially this division, that marginal gains...all play a part. LJ organised that, but I don't agree with it.

LJ arranging a night out is very different from LJ taking the players out on the piss & given free reign to drink whatever they want. I suspect that intake was strictly limited and adhered too. 

Interestingly GJ doesn't drink and SL doesn't drink, so I'd imagine the club & LJ are both pretty strict on alcohol allowances. 

9 hours ago, redordead1 said:

Matty Taylor returns from pre-season and gets told by management he's not fit enough to play. No mystery injury.

Does he; 

a) Knuckle down in an effort to get back to the required level of fitness?

or

b) Allegedly spend the Bank Holiday weekend off his trolley (on God knows what) at an all-day party at Motion, telling everyone he doesn't give a **** about his current predicament.

Wos reckon?

Would love to know where you got your information on Taylor doing "The Tomlin",and returning to preseason in the mould of a budding 'Mr Blobby....???

13 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

LJ arranging a night out is very different from LJ taking the players out on the piss & given free reign to drink whatever they want. I suspect that intake was strictly limited and adhered too. 

Interestingly GJ doesn't drink and SL doesn't drink, so I'd imagine the club & LJ are both pretty strict on alcohol allowances. 

UK football has traditionally- and I stress traditionally as it's changed so much, had more of a drinking culture than other places.

I am sure there were strict limits adhered to with the LJ one. Interesting to learn about LJ and SL not drinking- I'm just unconvinced about alcohol in football by professional players generally but I guess it won't be got rid of.

Even if they or he had a few beers . Who cares. I'm sure they are aloud a social life outside of football. And have to stick to a certain amount of alcohol. I really can't see the problem. Always such an overreaction on what people do these days. And it might not even be true. Could be worse. Could be the ex England captain and record goal scorer getting caught drink driving with another woman in the car . 

1 minute ago, Red Army 75 said:

Could be worse. Could be the ex England captain and record goal scorer getting caught drink driving with another woman in a VW Beetle . 

Sorry Red Army but I had to edit your post to make your point a lot stronger. 

10 hours ago, redordead1 said:

Not particularly bothered if you'd class this as shit stirring. Like most of us, my family have supported this club for over 40 years and paid good money that contributes to this clown's wages. 

I don't have any time for a second rate player to be taking the p**s in public like that. He needs sorting out and was lucky he didnt bump into some less forgiving city fans.

Ahh so you have a motive for all this!

5 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Well this news has certainly shattered my previous belief that all of our squad spent their time off drinking cocoa and reading works by Jane Austen and Anthony Trollope.

He spends his time off with an antique Trollope? Is this Rooney we're talking about?

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I can see what you're saying. Obviously if an athlete wants to be at maximum capacity for peak performance - I'm talking 0.5% factors - alcohol would affect this.

I think coaches would weigh up the team bonding impact which counteracts that. I think the occasional boozy night out will help the 'marginal gains' in a team bonding sense.

Interesting dilemma for coaches to deal with.

51 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I can see what you're saying. Obviously if an athlete wants to be at maximum capacity for peak performance - I'm talking 0.5% factors - alcohol would affect this.

I think coaches would weigh up the team bonding impact which counteracts that. I think the occasional boozy night out will help the 'marginal gains' in a team bonding sense.

Exactly, whilst alcohol would have a negative effect on a personal level, football is a team sport. 

As long as its handled appropriately of course (i.e. a couple of beers and not out too late on a bank holiday weekend in the middle of an international break), it could definitely be argued that the positive effects of team bonding through a night out could result in a net gain for the team. 

Think I'd rather not go on an LJ sponsored night out.  Undoubtably Uncle Steve and his new friend Mark would be there, too.  Not to mention Grampa Gary.  

It'd be like one of those really awkward work functions with the governors or share holders where everyone, if they're honest, would rather be somewhere else - free buffet or not.   

11 hours ago, redordead1 said:

Not particularly bothered if you'd class this as shit stirring. Like most of us, my family have supported this club for over 40 years and paid good money that contributes to this clown's wages. 

I don't have any time for a second rate player to be taking the p**s in public like that. He needs sorting out and was lucky he didnt bump into some less forgiving city fans.

I'd imagine he'd have a lot more to worry about if he bumped into some Rovers fans, although there's obviously much less chance of that happening.

15 minutes ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

Think I'd rather not go on an LJ sponsored night out.  Undoubtably Uncle Steve and his new friend Mark would be there, too.  Not to mention Grampa Gary.  

It'd be like one of those really awkward work functions with the governors or share holders where everyone, if they're honest, would rather be somewhere else - free buffet or not.   

You can just picture Mark Ashton's choice of outfit. Textbook smart casual; Jeans and Sheux.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/fashion-and-style/10777966/Jeans-and-Sheuxsss-the-killer-combo-that-can-go-so-wrong.html

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I can't remember who said it but it was claimed that footballers, athletes generally should have a body like a boxer. No drink, no pissing about, no bad diet- peak physical condition while an active top athlete. Words to that effect anyway.

Occasional boozy night out...assuming it's the whole team, then wouldn't that have that knock on effect on all of them fitness wise, thereby possibly equalising, cancelling out the 'marginal gains' in the team bonding sense?

It's certainly an interesting dilemma. I err on the side of caution with it tbh. Ronaldo for example he's teetotal, has been for 14 years. I know he's the best of the best of this era alongside or possibly above Messi. On a more relateable level, Defoe doesn't drink too apparently.

• Admin

There was some reference on here a while back about taking on the cycling mentality, that 0.1% of gains are worth doing and if you can stack them up, that then does start to become an advantage.  I'm sure the coaches, physics and team Dr have the latest thinking on alcohol affecting performance (or not).  If there is any proof it does affect performance, then it makes taking on the cycling philosophy of every 0.1% gain is worth having, fairly pointless unless players ate teetotal.

12 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

Nowt wrong with that. He's on the international break alongside his teammates.

In fact, I'm glad he was out with 4 or 5 others in the squad as I was of the opinion that he had struggled a bit to settle. It's good that he now has a bond with some of the others, outside the day to day stuff. 

Look at Wilbs. He was well known for being Mr Social, organising team bonding stuff and nights out. He didn't make many mistakes did he? Ever the professional he was.

Nothing to say Matty can't be the same.

Oh and you say he was 'on God knows what'. You know that for definite do you? When drugs tests can determine stuff taken 6 months previous, I highly expect it was just alcohol he was 'off his trolley' on...

Even so, I'd imagine a one-off use of some substances would cause less damage than an alchohol binge. Not that I'm particularly pro-drug use

Honestly, talk about social coercion and the nanny state.  

Here's an idea to counteract the problem of losing fine margins and  that 0.5%: Every club gets a ration of beer, fags and kebabs vouchers they're to use each season as, how and when they want.  All must be used.  

It could be an added column on the league table and a new feature for Sky Sports.  "Here's Matty Taylor taking 10 for the team; an extraordinary effort by the boy Rooney there".  

Honestly, I'm flabbergasted by some of you lads - in your 20's some of you?

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy, indeed.

29 minutes ago, Murraysrightplum said:

If I was a pro footballer with nothing to do on intentional weekend I'd be doing something to make sure I was playing on international weekend!

What, like going to Somerset House and trying to find any ancestors that might've been born in Liechtenstein or Andorra?:whistle:

13 hours ago, redordead1 said:

Matty Taylor returns from pre-season and gets told by management he's not fit enough to play. No mystery injury.

Does he; 

a) Knuckle down in an effort to get back to the required level of fitness?

or

b) Allegedly spend the Bank Holiday weekend off his trolley (on God knows what) at an all-day party at Motion, telling everyone he doesn't give a **** about his current predicament.

Wos reckon?

Did you make that bit up?

As to going out on the lash.

Royal Marines, Paras et. al., strangely, are not barred from getting rat arsed, yet they are likely to be as fit as any professional footballer and are acknowledged as being some of the best fighting units in the world. It appears that footballer's, now-a-days, have to be wrapped up in cotton wool and their lives micromanaged to the point that they could have joined some religious order.

If a player is kicking the arse out of drink before matches, can't make the grade, etc. they take the criticism.
On the odd occasion, I personally have no problem with any of our players going out and par-taking in a drink or two.
It's called doing things in moderation.

Archived