IGNORED

England v Slovakia Matchday Thread

wendyredredrobin

So after the boring experience of watching paint dry during the Malta game (other than the last 10 mins), Anyone looking forward to Slovakia tonight.

Gareth Southgate has apparently told his team to play more exciting football, so that should make a difference.

Can't really understand why he felt the need to be so cautious against Malta, but tonight will be a different type of challenge, but we can easily beat them with an attacking set up, though a cautious approach will likely lead to a dull 0 - 0 outcome.

It's set up to be an interesting game.

The excuse that always gets trotted out in defence of the English team after games like Malta, is that it's very difficult to break down a team that supposedly don't want to play football and just want to not concede. 

Slovakia have an enormous opportunity to put themselves into pole position and will surely be intent on winning the game. 

No excuses tonight for me.

13 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

So after the boring experience of watching paint dry during the Malta game (other than the last 10 mins), Anyone looking forward to Slovakia tonight.

Gareth Southgate has apparently told his team to play more exciting football, so that should make a difference.

Can't really understand why he felt the need to be so cautious against Malta, but tonight will be a different type of challenge, but we can easily beat them with an attacking set up, though a cautious approach will likely lead to a dull 0 - 0 outcome.

Given up watching England after the Iceland debacle at the Euros. No passion or pride. My old man watched the Malta game and said bar the last few mins it was utterly dreadful. Can't see tonight's game being far different, despite Southgate's promises.

12 minutes ago, Gazred said:

As bad as we were the other day, France failed to beat Luxembourg at home yesterday, how's that for an underwhelming result.

Shouldn't be too hard for England to put in a better performance tonight as they were so poor on Friday.

The players on field reactions was akin to as if they'd lost the world cup finals.

I'm a patriotic individual but dare I say it, international games absolutely suck. Bore the pants off of me and it seems many friends both home and abroad feel the same.

@SARJ

Each to their own, but I've seen a number of quite interesting, intriguing International games. Not many at all involving England which was kinda unfortunate- England-Wales and England-Scotland in the last year or so were decent, but beyond that I agree. At least about a lot of England games.

Specifically about England games, most have IMO been very tedious for a number of years now. Tonight could be interesting as Slovakia won't see us as unbeatable and will know that if they can somehow beat us they will probably win the group. Which should make for a more open game than usual! 3-1 England my prediction.

Honestly can't stand Southgate. It's like having Roy Hodgson all over again. 

No real identity to the team mirroring the coaches lack of personality. 

We really could've had something special with Big Sam, you just get the feeling he understood what it was all about. 

Next manager for me has to be one of the best in football, just because Capello didn't work it doesn't mean we shouldn't go down that route again. If we stick with English and don't give Sam another chance, I'd honestly go Dyche, what he's done at Burnley is impressive. 

Still, onto tonights game, England 1-0. Kane. 

1 hour ago, SARJ said:

The players on field reactions was akin to as if they'd lost the world cup finals.

I'm a patriotic individual but dare I say it, international games absolutely suck. Bore the pants off of me and it seems many friends both home and abroad feel the same.

Englands youth sides are quite refreshing to watch. 

I think the last time we had side worth bothering with was about 2004 and they only achieved as much as anyone else in the last 50 years. 

I just follow England with zero expectation these days, easier that way.

I've given up watching internatiopnal football outside of a major tourny, there just isn't much point,

Its the same boring game every time regardless of who's manager and which ever next big thing is being bigged up in the press waiting for the fall from grace to sell some more copies 

3 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

Honestly can't stand Southgate. It's like having Roy Hodgson all over again. 

No real identity to the team mirroring the coaches lack of personality. 

We really could've had something special with Big Sam, you just get the feeling he understood what it was all about. 

Next manager for me has to be one of the best in football, just because Capello didn't work it doesn't mean we shouldn't go down that route again. If we stick with English and don't give Sam another chance, I'd honestly go Dyche, what he's done at Burnley is impressive. 

Still, onto tonights game, England 1-0. Kane. 

Reckon we'll go full circle and go for Mourinho eventually. 

Don't really understand why we went for Southgate. Not achieved much at all to warrant the England post, Tony Pulis even has a far better case!

Can't really be bothered with England at the moment. Too many horribly average midfielders - 10-15 years ago we had a fantastic midfield to choose from.. now look.

Perhaps in 5 years time we'll have a better side, a few good young players coming through.

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Don't really understand why we went for Southgate. Not achieved much at all to warrant the England post, Tony Pulis even has a far better case!

Can't really be bothered with England at the moment. Too many horribly average midfielders - 10-15 years ago we had a fantastic midfield to choose from.. now look.

Perhaps in 5 years time we'll have a better side, a few good young players coming through.

1. Yes Man

2. We've said this every 5 years since the 70s

25 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

The FA has been unable to do the right thing for decades: cast your mind back to 1977 and we should have gone for Clough. Hell, I reckon an urn of his ashes could pick a squad no worse than our current offering.

England haven't lost a qualifier for 7 years which is quite remarkable. 

One thing we are good at is these types of games however we never seem to have a proper plan/system when going into the tournaments. 

I'm looking forward to the game, it seems to the cool thing right now to be apathetic towards England but we are who we are no point in being gloomy about it! 

7 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

England haven't lost a qualifier for 7 years which is quite remarkable. 

One thing we are good at is these types of games however we never seem to have a proper plan/system when going into the tournaments. 

I'm looking forward to the game, it seems to the cool thing right now to be apathetic towards England but we are who we are no point in being gloomy about it! 

We also last won a finals knock-out game in 2006. Which is equally remarkable.

Archived