IGNORED

Four years...Do we miss the Bristol derby?

Mr Popodopolous

Bristol derby  

248 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A mate just showed me at work- and it had completely slipped my mind, but 4 years ago today was City-Rovers last competitive meeting...JPT Evening game.

And what an evening it was! Best atmosphere for a JPT game I reckon...probably right up there with attendances early rounds for one also!

Dunno if it's a popular view on here, but I miss the Bristol derby competitively speaking. Maybe not League but an annual Cup game would be great. Not so bothered with friendlies tbh.

I don't miss it. Saw enough games during the 80's when we battered the hell out of them only to lose to some flukey strike which on another day would have landed in the car park. Having to listen to them crow on like they were Real Madrid in work the following Monday was embarrassing. Hope they drop back to where they belong soon.

I think Cardiff can be quite good and was always bit of edge when they were at Ninian, but I agree, nothing like same city derby rivalry, the buildup in 2013 was excellent likewise.

FWIW, I don't really know any City or Rovers fans at work maybe a handful Do from school though, but on a general observational point about how support patterns changing 6 people from my work went to Arsenal-Chelsea Community Shield game than go to either Bristol side. :no: 

Overall though, do I miss the derby? Absolutely! 2013 was great- helped by the fact we won of course, but generally...great atmosphere all round, good buildup and not a bad game either!

Long time ago, I loved the atmosphere at local derbies with the Rovers.

No segregation, just a whole lot of banter, some great football, even more crunching tackles and things like the Ginger Peacock v Jackie Pitt punch up where they trudged off the pitch together after the inevitable sending off.

The Geoff Bradford offside goal in the FA Cup, City winning 5-0 at Eastville in the Gloster Cup, FA Cup wins at Eastville in 1968 or 69 and again in 1982-3.

But the fun went out of it a long time ago and so I'm glad that we don't have to play them with all the related aggro.

Now if we were both in the Premier, without any nastiness between fans, what a great day that could be. Dream on, I hear myself saying.

no i don't miss it, i don't miss their fans causing trouble then trying to blame us, i don't miss that god awful irene song and I don't miss the underwhelming games tat derby matches normally turn into,

the last great game between the two clubs was the 3-2 win at ashton gate when Beadle came on and changed the game with Millen as captain, 

We can all have the Derby games back, easily. We just need them to actually "come for us" as they keep promising. 

We've tried spending time in League one, just to give them a chance and the best that resulted in was a JPT fixture. 

Cup ties are unlikely as they continually fail to get past their non league opponents in rounds 1 & 2. 

They cant be relied upon to recreate the Derby fixtures, so until they sort their act out and get themselves to the level that their sprinkler system deserves, then we just need to go about our business and wait on them. 

I loved the derbies.  But for them to become a regular occurrence it would either mean that they had either a) caught us up in the Championship or b) we had slipped down to League 1 again or lower. Neither are palatable thoughts, especially the latter and so I'm quite happy to do without them on that basis. Wouldn't mind them in the cup though, we should never be worried about playing them! 

I loved and hated the derbies in equal measure but I wouldn't want them back.

Yes, the atmosphere was great but having watched a lot of them in the 80's, there are very few worse feelings in football than losing to that shower and hearing their fans crow about it afterwards. This happened far too much back then for my liking.

Ironically, my favourite City game was the Donowa derby. Mainly for the hair-raising atmosphere and to finally put one over them after years of getting beat.

Comparing ourselves to them has held this great club back for years. While it would be nice to batter them every now and again, it would be their cup final now, a bit like County playing Forest.

We've moved on to a different level so balls to them. It's been beneficial not playing them IMHO and our crowds are decent now so we don't really need the attendance money.

It's a NAH for me.

Wonder if there'll be a bit of a generational split here as longer term supporters have probably had their fill! I've only been watching since 05 so have only been supporting long enough to see 2 competitive derbies. 

The atmosphere can't be beaten and I genuinely feel the Bristol Derby must have one of the best atmospheres nationally. There's genuine dislike between the two clubs which I'm not sure is the case between say Liverpool and Everton.

Not even games with Cardiff come close. Would love to have more Derby games.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

A mate just showed me at work- and it had completely slipped my mind, but 4 years ago today was City-Rovers last competitive meeting...JPT Evening game.

And what an evening it was! Best atmosphere for a JPT game I reckon...probably right up there with attendances early rounds for one also!

Dunno if it's a popular view on here, but I miss the Bristol derby competitively speaking. Maybe not League but an annual Cup game would be great. Not so bothered with friendlies tbh.

Electric atmosphere, genuine hostility and everyone taking half days to get on the Source early, yes there is nothing like it.

But reason for the atmosphere is because it's a rarity these days. Make it a regular occurrence and you'll lose what makes the Bristol derby special. Look at the Old Firm: they seem to play each other 4 times a season at going rate. Takes the edge away from it.

Being from Wiltshire and not knowing many Rovers fans (as they've been below us for all the time I've supported them) i dont really feel the Rovers rivalry. Swindon has always been bigger for me, as I grew up around a lot of their fans and obviously them being better than us for a few years in the 90s. I dont look forward to the games though as we never do well against them, that beautiful 3-0 hammering aside.

I wouldn't want the derby back. We've moved on considerably.

If we played them again [other than a cup match] it would mean that we've gone backwards. Games against them at their 5hithole of a ground would be like going back to the 1980's. You might as well include lower league Swindle in that scenario as well.

Having said that one of the great memories I can recall is seeing Aaron Brown leaving three of the saddoes for dead with his pace before crossing the ball for TonyTonyTony Thorpe to head home emphatically in the 3:2 "Beadle" match, quality.

3 minutes ago, Swede said:

I wouldn't want the derby back. We've moved on considerably.

If we played them again [other than a cup match] it would mean that we've gone backwards. Games against them at their 5hithole of a ground would be like going back to the 1980's. You might as well include lower league Swindle in that scenario as well.

Having said that one of the great memories I can recall is seeing Aaron Brown leaving three of the saddoes for dead with his pace before crossing the ball for TonyTonyTony Thorpe to head home emphatically in the 3:2 "Beadle" match, quality.

Donowa for me . Unbelievable scenes 

• Admin

Be happy if we never play them again, the best reason would because they've gone bust and disappeared, next best reason would be that always stay below us, in our shadow.  Terrible games, win and it's expected, lose and those half witted inbreds are crowing like they've beaten the Brazil team of the early 70's.  

I guess losing a game to them and seeing their stupid, grinning faces, hearing their ridiculous anthem and seeing them gloat is the nearest I have come to understanding football violence.......

6 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Be happy if we never play them again, the best reason would because they've gone bust and disappeared, next best reason would be that always stay below us, in our shadow.  Terrible games, win and it's expected, lose and those half witted inbreds are crowing like they've beaten the Brazil team of the early 70's.  

I guess losing a game to them and seeing their stupid, grinning faces, hearing their ridiculous anthem and seeing them gloat is the nearest I have come to understanding football violence.......

:clap:

52 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Donowa for me . Unbelievable scenes 

Yup that's my greatest Derby memory too. Great games. Before the interweb was even thought of you'd have weeks of excitement and anticipation, plenty of banter in schools, workplaces and neighbourhoods. I think back then I could name as many of their players as our own such was the rivalry, now I could name perhaps one or two as they have sunk so low.

Fantastic if you win but an absolute gutter if you lose, only a playoff final defeat can come close to the feeling football wise. It would be great to have a Derby in the City again, but it would have to be on equal terms, and no way would I want them thinking they were our rivals, leave them to swill around the lower divisions and hopefully they will go down the plug hole soon and I won't be shedding any tears. 

As an aside, I keep reading about banter in workplaces...

Where are these mythical workplaces about Bristol derby and general City-Rovers banter? Is it a thing of the past- across the several workplaces I've been in, me aside, there have been less than 10 fans of either City or Rovers. There were more in school but again not exactly overwhelming numbers. :dunno:

6 minutes ago, RedM said:

Yup that's my greatest Derby memory too. Great games. Before the interweb was even thought of you'd have weeks of excitement and anticipation, plenty of banter in schools, workplaces and neighbourhoods. I think back then I could name as many of their players as our own such was the rivalry, now I could name perhaps one or two as they have sunk so low.

Fantastic if you win but an absolute gutter if you lose, only a playoff final defeat can come close to the feeling football wise. It would be great to have a Derby in the City again, but it would have to be on equal terms, and no way would I want them thinking they were our rivals, leave them to swill around the lower divisions and hopefully they will go down the plug hole soon and I won't be shedding any tears. 

Spot on . And they we're use to beating us in that era . And Holloway missed that penalty. Football just isn't the same. But I still don't want to play the pikey ***** 

Archived