IGNORED

Merchants Arms Hotwells

The Red Planet

38 minutes ago, The Red Planet said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-41146176

This is sad news and it looks so bad it may never re-open. 

Me and my City buddies always use this pub pre-match.

Thoughts are with Mike - the excellent landlord. 

Well, you'll be glad to know RP that, according to their FB page, the Merch. 'mostly reopened' at 4 pm.

"Engineers have been assessing the safety of the remaining structure and dealing with a gas leak. The driver walked away with minor injuries. The incident happened at 04:20 BST. No-one has been arrested, police said".

Driving without due care and attention at the very least surely?

20 minutes ago, 22A said:

"Engineers have been assessing the safety of the remaining structure and dealing with a gas leak. The driver walked away with minor injuries. The incident happened at 04:20 BST. No-one has been arrested, police said".

Unless it was "The Super". at the wheel !

22 minutes ago, 22A said:

Depends. Could have been a mechanical failure. 

17 minutes ago, City Cat said:

Cos you drive down it if your destination is ultimately south?

So if I am going south on the A38 or A370 or going south on the M5, I am going south even if I am going in opposite directions.

Because of where the accident was, I assume that the eastbound carriageway was actually the one closed.

The entire A4 runs west to east from Avonmouth to London.

Walked past the Merchants last night. Was all open and full by 4.30PM. Punters having to use the side door rather than the usual front door for obvious reasons.

For those who've never been in, thoroughly recommend it, nice little pub.

Hotwells is great for pub crawl. Sesh on.

2 hours ago, Bassagogo said:

I've fallen into the Merchant's Arms a few times.  Top class pre match Scotch eggs.

Used to have "interesting" home made pickled onions there when John Lansdown was landlord. It was best not to ask what was in the vinegar with the eggs

42 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Used to have "interesting" home made pickled onions there when John Lansdown was landlord. It was best not to ask what was in the vinegar with the eggs

was that Bath Ales John? - he ran the Hare on the Hill for a bit too.

originally met him when he took on the Swan with two necks down in St Judes - it became a decent pub for a while(our local) - always thought it an odd place for Bath Ales to try out their first pub - always was a bit lairy round Little Ann St.

Archived