IGNORED

Motty

Super

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

At least five years too late, his highlights commentary (much of which sounds to me suspiciously like it has been added on afterwards these days) has become embarrassing.

I thought he was good on 5 live in recent years is he still doing that?

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

At least five years too late, his highlights commentary (much of which sounds to me suspiciously like it has been added on afterwards these days) has become embarrassing.

Yeah, Motson is/was very old school. That said he was one of trailblazers from when football was in it's infancy on tv along with the late Brian Moore and Barry Davies.

Sensible decision to hang his sheepskin coat and microphone.

My mum met him when she was working behind the bar in the Chairman's lounge at the Gate. She thought she'd recognised the voice and turned to her colleague and said 'that sounds like John Motson'. He overheard what she'd said and turned around saying 'that's because it is John Motson'. They proceeded to have a little chat and she reckoned he was an absolutely charming and lovely bloke. 

I'll miss his commentary. As has been posted above, almost all of the old guard across sport have retired or are retiring. It's a real shame as these are the voices that I always associate with sport and it sounds odd hearing other people do it. 

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Don't disagree with the comment, but I supposed you could have just been complimentary then about the previous 45 years?

33 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

I feel sorry for the young uns wholl think of Gary Neville and Michael Owen as the voice of football in 40 years

They're pundits... not commentators. 

They'll have Martin Tyler to look back on. That's not too bad. 

Brian Moore was great.. when Micheal Thomas went through on goal to win Arsenal the league in 89 (I think).. brilliant. 

Barry Davies for me was the best though! 

1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Great commentator and will miss him.  Didnt he retire a few years ago and came back because he missed it so much?  Legend in my book.

Chucked in live commentary at Euro 2008. Focused on recorded comms from around the grounds for MOTD.

31 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

I feel sorry for the young uns wholl think of Gary Neville and Michael Owen as the voice of football in 40 years

Help us. 

I miss good old Jim Rosenthal and his mate Clive Tyldesley. Clive still does commentaries but Jim does boxing presenting now. Jim Rosenthal always reminded me of Grandpa from The Munsters...

.... how has this thread got this far with no mention of Kenneth Wolstenholme and David Coleman? Certainly the whole art of commentary seems to have gone down in quality over the years, moving away from broadcasters to 'experts'. Maybe I'm just getting too old....

12 minutes ago, Calculus said:

.... how has this thread got this far with no mention of Kenneth Wolstenholme and David Coleman? Certainly the whole art of commentary seems to have gone down in quality over the years, moving away from broadcasters to 'experts'. Maybe I'm just getting too old....

Agree K W was excellent, no shouty nonsense. DC, not so sure. Who can forget the Spitting Image David Coleman's excitable quote, "And Everton are sinking"!

38 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Chucked in live commentary at Euro 2008. Focused on recorded comms from around the grounds for MOTD.

Help us. 

I miss good old Jim Rosenthal and his mate Clive Tyldesley. Clive still does commentaries but Jim does boxing presenting now. Jim Rosenthal always reminded me of Grandpa from The Munsters...

Tyldsley makes I cuss! The worst.

44 minutes ago, Cunnyfunt said:

They're pundits... not commentators. 

They'll have Martin Tyler to look back on. That's not too bad. 

Brian Moore was great.. when Micheal Thomas went through on goal to win Arsenal the league in 89 (I think).. brilliant

Barry Davies for me was the best though! 

Yes I loved that.......

50 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Tyldsley makes I cuss! The worst.

Certainly is up there with the very worst.

When he is on during the major tournaments I play the "how long will it be until the gratuitous mention by him of Manchester United?" game.

Even if Mexico are playing Iraq he can usually be relied upon in the first quarter of an hour to say they were linked (WTF does that mean?) with Mexico's left back about four years ago...

Archived