IGNORED

Motty

Super

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

Motson - nice bloke but rather overrated I think. A bit like David Coleman who the BBC treated like God because he covered a lot of sports but always irritated me; Private Eye didn't invent "Colemanballs" for no reason.

Coleman was a nasty bit of work aswell. I know somebody who worked with him on occasions, his description of him  was a re arrangement of the following letters.......n c t u.

4 hours ago, john shaw number 1 said:

There was only one great voice of football, the great Rodger Malone 

images.jpg

Never forget the game when the east end were singing"Roger Malone is a manual manipulator"he calmly said"abuse from the east end!" And carried on commentating.

Motson's commentaries irritated me constantly for years (decades in fact) I'm afraid, nice chap that he no doubt is, I grew to despise him on MOTD etc.

On the Monday Night Club on R5 though he was a revelation, far more knowlegeable and interesting than the younger panellists, and away from the script and the excitement of the  commentary box he came over as an extremely genuine football fan with surprisingly strong opinions but totally unassuming in character, and what he surely is:

A thoroughly nice chap.

Good luck to him.

14 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Motson's commentaries irritated me constantly for years (decades in fact) I'm afraid, nice chap that he no doubt is, I grew to despise him on MOTD etc.

On the Monday Night Club on R5 though he was a revelation, far more knowlegeable and interesting than the younger panellists, and away from the script and the excitement of the  commentary box he came over as an extremely genuine football fan with surprisingly strong opinions but totally unassuming in character, and what he surely is:

A thoroughly nice chap.

Good luck to him.

Interesting. I felt the same as you about his commentaries - mainly because despite his research he seemed like an over excited and starstruck teenager. Barry Davies was better, or at least I felt on the same wavelength there, as with Brian Moore.

8 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Interesting. I felt the same as you about his commentaries - mainly because despite his research he seemed like an over excited and starstruck teenager. Barry Davies was better, or at least I felt on the same wavelength there, as with Brian Moore.

Maybe its because of it being a different sport and it possibly suited it better, but one of my favourite commentators away from football was Murray Walker on Motor Racing.

He was exactly the "over excited and starstruck teenager" and made loads of (often funny) errors, but F1 without his commentary was immediately more dull for me.

10 hours ago, Midlands Robin said:

My mum met him when she was working behind the bar in the Chairman's lounge at the Gate. She thought she'd recognised the voice and turned to her colleague and said 'that sounds like John Motson'. He overheard what she'd said and turned around saying 'that's because it is John Motson'. They proceeded to have a little chat and she reckoned he was an absolutely charming and lovely bloke. 

I'll miss his commentary. As has been posted above, almost all of the old guard across sport have retired or are retiring. It's a real shame as these are the voices that I always associate with sport and it sounds odd hearing other people do it. 

Never heard that before mate. Hope your mum is good. As for old guard retiring I'm not sure I miss old timers like Roger Malone or Colin "sizeable Rovers contigent" Howlett

53 minutes ago, shelts said:

Alan Green and Jonathan Pearce . Both not everyone's cup of tea, Greeners a little too blunt for some 

AG is certainly one of my favourite radio commentators, although JP runs him close and is certainly extremely (and extremely loudly!) enthusiastic.

As you say, however, AG is quite blunt.

I well remember many a commentary on a rainy midweek evening game, when I was driving on some godforsaken motorway hoping to be cheered up by his commentary only to hear him talk of the game being as miserable as the weather or some similar despondent description.

I never actually heard it, but I have heard it said that, when commentating on a Manchester City game he mentioned Sun, who was wearing shirt number 19 or 27 or similar, and saying 'Oh, that will be the chicken chow mein, then'.

Obviously not PC, but amusing if true. 

41 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Alan Green is a tremendous and honest  radio commentator - I listen to a lot games on radio five and they have a few good ones especially John Murray.

I like Alan Green as well him and Mike Ingham were fantastic together back in the day.

49 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Alan Green is a tremendous and honest  radio commentator - I listen to a lot games on radio five and they have a few good ones especially John Murray.

I do think the radio boys are much better . Martin Tyler still the best for me on tv 

21 hours ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Tyldsley makes I cuss! The worst.

20 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Certainly is up there with the very worst.

When he is on during the major tournaments I play the "how long will it be until the gratuitous mention by him of Manchester United?" game.

Even if Mexico are playing Iraq he can usually be relied upon in the first quarter of an hour to say they were linked (WTF does that mean?) with Mexico's left back about four years ago...

My wife laughs at me when England play because she knows that at least 3 times in each half, I will at some point start shouting at the screen. "There's a ******* game on Tyldesley, commentate on the ******* game!!"  It used to be a problem for Motson as well but as time has gone on I think he has improved in that respect over the years.

10 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

AG is certainly one of my favourite radio commentators, although JP runs him close and is certainly extremely (and extremely loudly!) enthusiastic.

As you say, however, AG is quite blunt.

I well remember many a commentary on a rainy midweek evening game, when I was driving on some godforsaken motorway hoping to be cheered up by his commentary only to hear him talk of the game being as miserable as the weather or some similar despondent description.

I never actually heard it, but I have heard it said that, when commentating on a Manchester City game he mentioned Sun, who was wearing shirt number 19 or 27 or similar, and saying 'Oh, that will be the chicken chow mein, then'.

Obviously not PC, but amusing if true. 

Wasn't it Alan Green who was commentating on a game when over the PA at the stadium they gave out the number plate of a car causing an obstruction outside the ground and he broke away from the commentary and said that that was his car?

As you know, sheepskin coat wearing commentating legend John Motson is hanging up the microphone at the end of the season.

We got plenty of Motty memories in our Sportsday Live special yesterday, and here's one from Aston Villa winger Albert Adomah.

The former Bristol City player credits Motty with helping him make his name in the game.

"I was sponsored by John Motson, the Match of the Day commentator," Adomah told the Birmingham Mail.

"That's his local side, Barnet. When I used to play for them he sponsored me because he liked me and I think he wanted to contribute to his local side."

Iirc back in the early 1980s they ran a competition on the BBC for juveniles to find the next John Motson. I recall the winner being about 14 and was quite impressive. I would like to think this guy would now be given his chance now JM has retired, even though he'd be making his debut at the age of about 50. I'd imagine he has been living on the streets in the interim and when people make donations into his outstretched cap he says things like, 'He's not getting much change out of his marker this afternoon,' or if he noticed a pound coin being dropped into his cap he says, 'of course, we can always expect a decent contribution from one of the players synonymous with England's golden generation.'

Failing that he could be working as a station announcer on British Rail. 'The next train arriving on Platform 4 is the Virgin Express to Edinburgh. It has ten carriages, four at the back, four in the middle and one on its own up front with a buffet car tucked just behind.'

43 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Wasn't it Alan Green who was commentating on a game when over the PA at the stadium they gave out the number plate of a car causing an obstruction outside the ground and he broke away from the commentary and said that that was his car?

I remember the story, but have no idea who the commentator was.

On 06/09/2017 at 13:59, Roger Red Hat said:

Coleman was a nasty bit of work aswell. I know somebody who worked with him on occasions, his description of him  was a re arrangement of the following letters.......n c t u.

Not surprised tbh. When the Beeb launched a midweek programme and called it "Sportsnight with Coleman" you just knew there was a massive ego involved!

Archived