IGNORED

At what level have you played football?

myol'man

Only ever played in a proper team set up about 5 times, once a year at the end of the winter term at school. I was pretty good and scored a few goals, but it was easy really as just about all of my team mates and opponents hated the game and didn't want to get involved!

All my 'skills' and the love of the beautiful game came from playing in the back lane where I grew up, all my peers were boys, for about 20 boys there were only 3 or 4 girls, we were outnumbered and so natrually the game we all played was football. Great memories.

Downs League with @Orbital for a good 20 years then a bit of 35 year old + vets before some oaf rearranged my leg going for the sort of challenge you made when you were 21 as opposed to 45.. 

Won 3 league titled plus a cup on the Downs. 

Loved playing on the Downs - no pretension there at all.  Anyone giving it the big I am soon quietened down.  Developed loads of friendly rivalries with other players and teams.  The refs loved it there too.  A real reflection of Bristol.

Also loved regularly going away in the GFA cups and hammering various sides who thought we were just a load of cloggers.   The standard was better than ever given credit for but the pitches were crap...

I grew up in Guernsey and played for a local league club and for Guernsey as an u21.  Matt Le Tissiers brothers Kevin and Karl were in the senior team when I was there along with ex city player Shaun Rouse who came to the island to work as a hairdresser if I remember rightly.  

Did my PCL at the age of 19, got a job and moved to London.  Just played a bit of Sunday league since.  

8 hours ago, myol'man said:

A question has been asked in another thread by one poster to another

" Have you played football at any level? 

So my question to you all is " Have you played football at any level? If so, which?"

For myself, I had a couple of seasons in Somerset County League, but mostly Sunday League pub teams.

*nb*  Dolly is excused from this question :whistle:

Similar to you mate and my younger years on the Downs 

5 hours ago, Chris_Brown said:

I am the third best footballer in my house.

Off topic reminds of one of the best cricket sledges:

Mark Waugh to Ed Giddins: Giddins you can't *******bat!

Giddins to Waugh: at least I'm the best batsman in my family!

on topic: Kingsholm Rangers as a kid in Glawster inthe 80s, Tedburn St Mary in Devon Senior 1 in the. 90s. Gave it up for 5 a side as couldn't put up with the stick from people taking it too seriously (bloody prima Donna ....)

Well since you ask it would be rude not to reply. My......ahem ..... illustrious CV as a failed centre back is as follows:

Luckwell primary school - school team played once (possibly twice).

St Aldhelms 229th cub scouts (HQ Raynes Road opposite AG) - we won the league one year :winner_third_h4h: - career highlight.

Ashton Park - school team played once but subbed at half time :sad26:I always maintain that I was one for the future and bloodied too soon. I should have had a period on loan to a school in Cheltenham first :whistle:

Geology team at university - don't remember much apart from one match I had to referee. Jeez was I diabolical - the experience has haunted me ever since - anyone with counselling skills please get in touch.

Company team in the "Engineers league" in Hong Kong. Good height advantage over the locals made me look better than the reality !!

One claim to fame - I played in a charity match in Portsmouth and the central defence was me and Alan Ball. My abiding memory though is of an old Kodjia in a wheelchair* on the touchline calling me ****ing crap for the whole match.  It was a career breaking moment and I have never played since ;).

* Any old codgers in wheelchairs reading this rubbish - no offence intended^

^I think I've covered the possible offence criticism :me?:

Was decent in my younger days and got scouted for Rovers until I was the only lad in a group of 30 to raise my hand 'if you are a City fan'. Mind you I was far from the best and none of the others made it.

Found alcohol and played on and off until 28, then joined an over 35s team and was the worst on the pitch.

Now retired.

6 hours ago, CityFarAndWide said:

At least you reached 31 man!

Was at QPR with stint with Aldershot before deciding it would be fun to Rupture my ACL/tear my LCL and meniscus cartilage (same knee) when jumping for a header and landing wrongly.

Tried to make a comeback of sorts training with Reading Town but so many complications with more operations and physiotherapy (mentally gone as well at this point) that I was forced to stop playing at 19. Haven't kicked a ball competitively of any sorts since then (7 years). 

I did mine jumping for a header unopposed.  Came down and my right knee ended up at right angles.  I think I'd severely strained it, foolishly tried to play the following week, and we'll and truly ruptured it that time.  I also damaged the cartilage in that knee.

Bummer for you.  You had potential.

5 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

A bit of crap Sunday pub league stuff for me and I played for Downend as a youngster but, after going to St Brendans College, it was always going to be egg chasing for me. Played at a decent level, Bristol schools, South west counties colts but was a dreadful footballer. I was so bad that, after recuperating from a knee op years ago, I used to train with my neighbours football side. They were short for one pre season game so I made up the numbers. I was so bad they took me off and played with 10. I was told I even run like a rugby player! :facepalm:

I was at St Brendan's too.  In fact our football side took the limelight from the Rugby boys, we won everything.  We had a lad who played for English schools who went on to play top flight and another for GB Catholic schools.

51 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Downs League with @Orbital for a good 20 years then a bit of 35 year old + vets before some oaf rearranged my leg going for the sort of challenge you made when you were 21 as opposed to 45.. 

Won 3 league titled plus a cup on the Downs. 

Loved playing on the Downs - no pretension there at all.  Anyone giving it the big I am soon quietened down.  Developed loads of friendly rivalries with other players and teams.  The refs loved it there too.  A real reflection of Bristol.

Also loved regularly going away in the GFA cups and hammering various sides who thought we were just a load of cloggers.   The standard was better than ever given credit for but the pitches were crap...

We (Rockets) played in the GFA v Downend 5, who had a load of Billy Big Balls playing for them.  We won 4-1....massive shock.

I loved all the levels I played at.  Good mates, good times, and when any of us meet up or bump into each other it's like we've never been apart.  Same with opponents too.

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I was at St Brendan's too.  In fact our football side took the limelight from the Rugby boys, we won everything.  We had a lad who played for English schools who went on to play top flight and another for GB Catholic schools.

You must have been after me Dave, there was no such thing as a St Brendans football team in my day. That started with the 6th form college I assume?

I was going to post this in the 12 year old Dortmund prodigy thread but can do it here. I played in high school in America in Philadelphia. We played a school that had quite a few players who were from African countries. We had a couple in our squad as well. All of them looked older than 15-17. 

Anyway, that's the highest level I've played. My last year there before I moved we made it to the semi finals for the city for quite a large city. Lost 1-0 in the last few minutes. That was the last time I've played in a proper XI a side match which is a tough way to go out. Played and play in various 5 a side teams here but I'm not in great shape and team I'm on now tends to lose most weeks. 

I once played for England in my back garden.  At the same time, I was managing England (also known as "me"), and commentating on the game.

I therefore could have been England's all time top scoring forward, Brian Clough or John Motson.

I like to feel I bring a bit of each talent to the forum.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Our coach was Rod Wesson....think he was an art teacher....who was heavily involved in Rovers Academy, might still be?

He wasn't there in my day bud. Quite a bit changed from the old college to the 6th form. A few of the college teachers stayed I think but Wesson wasn't there when I was at Sancti Brendani.

Wasn't Bas Phillips something to do with the football team there?

Primary and Secondary School teams - later making the Pepsi Nationals - then another Downs Leaguer. Sneyd Park then 'transferred' for a pint and packet of crisps (Walkers) to Conham Rangers. 

When 'up country' played for local pub side, the highlight of which was a cup match beating the off-side trap, sprinting from the halfway line, cutting across the full back, and unleashing a 35 yarder into the top corner beating the then Tamworth first team keeper. I still dream about that goal some 30 years on.

Ah, for all those stinging footballs smashed into the bollock areas on cold, wet, windy miserable matchdays, that one memory makes it all worth it. I love football.

Once played in a cup game that was refereed by a guy called Lester Shapter. ( south devon )

He was famous for sending George Best off when he was at Southampton.

Anyway we drew 4/4  So Shapter who I think was a speed cop at the time  had to give his next football league game up to do our replay!!!

He was one of the first look at me Refs!!!!

6 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Once played in a cup game that was refereed by a guy called Lester Shapter. ( south devon )

Anyway we drew 4/4  So Shapter who I think was a speed cop at the time  had to give his next football league game up to do our replay!!!

I went to school with his niece.

Roger Milford ref'd us a few times.  I thought he'd be full of himself, but he was really good.

23 minutes ago, JustinCider said:

Premier League, over 200 appearances, FA Cup & Champions League winner, and full international............

.......but I don't like to talk about it.

Oh, and Manor Primary School, Coalpit Heath, and Raysfield Primary, Yate.

I went to Manor, a very, very long time ago!

Played my first ever competitive game at the age of 8 against Highcroft! 

Loved that school, very fond memories. 

Bristol boys . Westside Athletic . Bristol Manor Farm. Imperial Courage .Yate Town.  Clifton Rockets. Saltford. IML. Long Ashton. Bedminster cc. Sundays, Avon Packet, Hanham Sunday , Miners, 3Lions. Had a trial at Southampton and my brother showered next to Alan Walsh who was in his City pomp. 

Some of these sides I have managed . Injuries gave me a lack of talent!!! 

17 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

I played (Sunday Pub league) with a speed cop on the Sunday who had arrested our ref, on the Saturday, for speeding .  Awkward.

In fairness, the ref was just as useless as usual.

Archived