IGNORED

At what level have you played football?

myol'man

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I went to school with his niece.

Roger Milford ref'd us a few times.  I thought he'd be full of himself, but he was really good.

Anyway  Dave how about a thread, the best team you ever played against!?

Was a team in Torquay called Upton  Athletic. Played on a council pitch, but if they could have come to Bristol in the 70s,80s to play whold have give anyone a game.

Played against them many times but by **** thry were good.

At one time they had 6 players in the county side,won the league and the county cup so many times.

Many teams have surpassed them now even Buckland 2nds  but as you know Dave even at this level money talks.

17 minutes ago, winterbournered said:

I went to Manor, a very, very long time ago!

Played my first ever competitive game at the age of 8 against Highcroft! 

Loved that school, very fond memories. 

Blimey, Highcroft....there's a blast from the past! I was at Manor mid to late 70's, then went to The Ridings from 79 to 85.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I loved all the levels I played at.  Good mates, good times, and when any of us meet up or bump into each other it's like we've never been apart.  Same with opponents too.

When we had to go to the register office to register our son's birth, I was delighted to find out that the official was an ex-team mate of mine. We shared lots of old banter in front of the wife, including how we'd been chased naked around the streets of Temple Bar on tour many years ago. Good times then, good story now.  

1 hour ago, stephenkibby. said:

Anyway  Dave how about a thread, the best team you ever played against!?

Was a team in Torquay called Upton  Athletic. Played on a council pitch, but if they could have come to Bristol in the 70s,80s to play whold have give anyone a game.

Played against them many times but by **** thry were good.

At one time they had 6 players in the county side,won the league and the county cup so many times.

Many teams have surpassed them now even Buckland 2nds  but as you know Dave even at this level money talks.

Best Opponents:

Bristol City :P Frys Cup Final.  Amankwah and Odejayi were playing.  We beat Rovers in the semi on pens.

Tiverton Town probably mid 90s.  Anyone remember Martyn Grimshaw (ex-Bath)?  I went through the back of him (not in a really bad way).  He picked himself off the deck and just laughed at me.  It was probably the smallest I ever felt on a football pitch!

One thing that stands out in this post is "The Older We Get, The Better We Were" or "The More We Drink The More We Achieved", seriously though there must have bee some some great memories & friendships made. I didn't have the skills for football but loved rugby & was invited to trials at Bristol Boys & Western Counties, unfortunately a motor cycle accident put paid to all that.

Long may it continue :clapping:

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Our coach was Rod Wesson....think he was an art teacher....who was heavily involved in Rovers Academy, might still be?

Rod Wesson used to take goalkeeping summer schools at St.Brendans, I went on a few of them.

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Best Opponents:

Bristol City :P Frys Cup Final.  Amankwah and Odejayi were playing.  We beat Rovers in the semi on pens.

Tiverton Town probably mid 90s.  Anyone remember Martyn Grimshaw (ex-Bath)?  I went through the back of him (not in a really bad way).  He picked himself off the deck and just laughed at me.  It was probably the smallest I ever felt on a football pitch!

Best opponents:

Truro City. Fantastic ground, superb pitch and gave them a run for their money both home and away, before beating them in the Les Phillips (subsequently being chucked out for fielding an ineligible player!). Felt odd seeing grown men wearing Truro shirts in the crowd. Stuart Yetton up top for them. Top forward at that level. 

Played for DRG and Pucklechurch Sports in The County League, Avon Prem and Bristol + District between '87 and '98, nearly won it with Puckle in 96-97, but Cadbury Heath were a great side and beat us 1-3 at home to go clear and ran away with it after that (Geoff Britton, Ian Day etc).

Was selected for the Avon Prem representative side while at DRG, but contrived to get sent off 2 weeks in a row and missed the game through suspension :facepalm: 

Best memory is coming up against Ian 'Jocky' Alexander when he played for Wooton Rovers, and leaving one on him that produced a stream of non-complimentary Glasgow growls and threats, followed by him limping off for some magic sponge.

Great times with great people. I had to pack it in at 26 in 1998 with Achilles trouble, still miss the buzz of the changing room and the smell of Ralgex.

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Best Opponents:

Played for Soundwell in the Suburban League ( I think) then Hailsham and East Grinstead in the Sussex County League.

Best opponents - Crystal Palace. While at East Grinstead we played a charity match at the end of the season against Palace. Steve Kember was the manager , and he played, along with Vince Hillaire  one Kevin Mabbutt and a load of other first team players. Our pitch was Sussex clay and at the end of the season it was like playing on corrugated iron, but they pinged the ball about as though they were playing on a bowling green. It showed the difference between top pros and us choppers.

9 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

My career was spent in the Church of England Junior Leagues, even though I'm an atheist.

The absolute height of my career, was a game for Sneyd Park in the Downs League. It was probably Div Four but in the side were two Gloster cricketers, David Allen and Tony Brown.

I then retired disgracefully.

Playing for Sneyd Park is a disgrace :whistle:;):thumbsup:

13 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I did mine jumping for a header unopposed.  Came down and my right knee ended up at right angles.  I think I'd severely strained it, foolishly tried to play the following week, and we'll and truly ruptured it that time.  I also damaged the cartilage in that knee.

Bummer for you.  You had potential.

I was at St Brendan's too.  In fact our football side took the limelight from the Rugby boys, we won everything.  We had a lad who played for English schools who went on to play top flight and another for GB Catholic schools.

We (Rockets) played in the GFA v Downend 5, who had a load of Billy Big Balls playing for them.  We won 4-1....massive shock.

I loved all the levels I played at.  Good mates, good times, and when any of us meet up or bump into each other it's like we've never been apart.  Same with opponents too.

I had to give up when I did my prostate . 

How about ...The most 'physically intimidating' team played against?

For me....Bristol Dockers.  I still have the physical and mental scars as a reminder.

As  I lay on the floor in a crumpled, battered heap I can still remember the words....

You even think about sending me off ref and I'll kick yer effin head in!

I didn't quite hear the refs hushed response, but I think it went along the lines of...... Ok, but don't do it again then. (Wise man).

That was the sign for....Ok lads, we can do it as much as we want!!!    And they did. :facepalm:

50 minutes ago, 42nite said:

For me....Bristol Dockers.  I still have the physical and mental scars as a reminder.

As  I lay on the floor in a crumpled, battered heap I can still remember the words....

I didn't quite hear the refs hushed response, but I think it went along the lines of...... Ok, but don't do it again then. (Wise man).

That was the sign for....Ok lads, we can do it as much as we want!!!    And they did. :facepalm:

Peasedown....after I bladdered the ball from point blank range into some of their supporters. I could've just knocked it into touch, but don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Not my greatest decision, but all of their players focus was on 'doing me' and I just went wherever the ball wasn't, often with two or three players giving me verbals and threats! But that left loads of space for my team mates. 

Got gobbed on by a Barnstaple supporter whilst warming up once. Nice!

1 hour ago, 42nite said:

Was that the PBA team? If so my Old man played for them circa 50 year ago.

Archived