IGNORED

Q and A tonight

Phileas Fogg

• Admin
19 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

I really don't know what your point is.

Lisa Knights had no advance knowledge of the forthcoming question. It was simply a case of raising your hand and LK coming to you with the microphone.

If AB had been walking the floor with a microphone what would the difference have been? Apart from he probably wouldn't have been wearing a skirt.

A side issue, it would have been better led by our FLO or even Rachel Lemarr if she actually exists rather than a Bristol sport "suit" 

11 minutes ago, phantom said:

A side issue, it would have been better led by our FLO or even Rachel Lemarr if she actually exists rather than a Bristol sport "suit" 

How are Lisa Knight and Adam Baker any different really?

Both Bristol Sport employees.

I think some of this criticism for Knight is very unfair.

The Q&A seemed to be an interesting event and many thanks to those who have summarised the discussion. (Unfortunately I couldn't attend due to my busy social life - I'd scheduled a cup of cocoa and chocky biscuit for 7.30 and couldn't change it). The technical side of recruitment sounds excellent and I was impressed by LJ sitting in bed looking at his laptop, though I'm not sure what Mrs LJ thinks of this. I'm sure this is what City need to focus on (the technical side not sitting in bed looking at a laptop),  as the club can't compete with the big spenders. It probably enabled LJ to get the job at his interview and it really impresses Steve Lansdown. Unfortunately, there are other unanswered questions such as is LJ a good tactician, a good man manager? Can he select the correct team / formation for each match? Can he think on his feet and react quickly during a match when things are going badly so as to change things?

These areas seem to be the weaknesses. If City are focusing on getting young players and developing them, the same should apply to LJ. He should have an experienced assistant manager who has been there, done it and got the biscuit, to help him. Dean Holden and Jamie McAllister have hardly set the footballing world alight   

2 hours ago, bristolcitysweden said:

People not really interested don't need an event.

What the **** is your agenda mate? Every post of yours is either slagging the club off, or a ******* drunken rambling? Just because you come over and watch the occasional game, doesn't make you some sort of super fan! People who went to the Q&A, have said how well LJ etc came across and how well it was presented, but,you want to slag the club off at every opportunity ! Grow up you *****!

Part Two

MA said he's not involved in talent ID / recruitment , that there was a team of people involved , with the final decision Lees , and the finances sat with him (MA) through to the board and SL and that contract negotiations were also his (MAs) responsibility and that ultimately they work as a team......

LJ then asked for some slides to be shown , from software called StatsBomb that they use & explained they can input their requirements for a particular position and all the aorta stats get analysed and said he would explain how they identified and recruited Nicholas Eliasson 

LJ explained that he was sat in bed in his lap top , looking for a Knockaert type player who he had wide right in his chosen Championship eleven

The software they use will look at Knockhart and throw up similar players (Totally football manager like) in a list with name, age, club, etc

(through the process Lee was pointing out the list that resulted and the comparative data / stats on StatsBomb and explaining what they actually mean e.g. A 'successful' dribble means he's gone past an opponent and 'delivered a chance'

Using Knockaert attributes up came (amongst a list of players in the last five years in any league in the world from their top two divisions, incl players at top European Clubs and way out our league - Robben , Pedro , Isco !!!! ) was Eliasson ( And interestingly Jamie Patterson)

Lee explains he then uses WyScout Software to call up 7-10 mins or so clips of Eliasson 

Liked what he saw, got the analysts to look at him - They go through a minimum of 15 games analysing and clipping every touch and off ball movement and they produced a Pack and said they liked the player

said for every one they like / try and sign there's probably 90 that they’ve considered and dismissed for various reasons

They then give this to Lee who consulted JM / DH etc

Lee , JM and DH all liked the look of him and LJ contacts Mervin Day to get 'eyes on'

All agree with LJ , LJ gets Eliasson watched in person five or six times , incl by himself 

Initial queries made about availability / price / would player be interested and the all the reports and opinions and the final decision, (except finances) comes back to Lee

LJ explained NE is a risk as all signings but that due diligence incl social media , does he go out , does he have a girlfriend etc are all covered

Said that they will have four or five options in each position and a final decision is made on ability , availability etc and ultimately they felt the 'risk' was worth taking 'because of his outstanding attributes' and recognises he has weaknesses in his game as well which they need to work on and develop

said that if NE had no defects in his game we wouldn't have him / get him

said that he's has cost us two goals by losing his runner but has been delighted with him in training with his quick feet, quick , can finish and goes past Joe Bryan 'which is hard to do' and is a dilemma right at this stage (Attributes v weaknesses) can he 'risk' him in Championship as the tempo of Swedish  League is vastly different to Championship

Described Eliasson as a 'Fantastic Kid ' and a 'coaches dream' as he absorbs information 'like a sponge'

8 minutes ago, St Aldhelms Red said:

What the **** is your agenda mate? Every post of yours is either slagging the club off, or a ******* drunken rambling? Just because you come over and watch the occasional game, doesn't make you some sort of super fan! People who went to the Q&A, have said how well LJ etc came across and how well it was presented, but,you want to slag the club off at every opportunity ! Grow up you *****!

:handbags:

• Admin
7 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

@Ian M any chance you could assist with type size again :thumbsup:

Part Two

LJ explained that he was sat in bed in his lap top , looking for a Knockaert type player who he had wide right in his chosen Championship eleven

The software they use will look at Knockhart and throw up similar players (Totally football manager like) in a list with name, age, club, etc

(through the process Lee was pointing out the list that resulted and the comparative data / stats on StatsBomb and explaining what they actually mean e.g. A 'successful' dribble means he's gone past an opponent and 'delivered a chance'

Using Knockaert attributes up came (amongst a list of players in the last five years in any league in the world from their top two divisions, incl players at top European Clubs and way out our league - Robben , Pedro , Isco !!!! ) was Eliasson ( And interestingly Jamie Patterson)

To clarify a bit here, LJ said that there's so many different things the package tracks so once he had selected Knockaert as the player for the position he chooses the attributes he thinks are most applicable to the way he wants his team to play (going along with signing players to fit the system as opposed to good players, hello Tomlin). These then get plotted on a wheel (and they are actual stats not ratings, such as number of successful dribbles per game, goals per game, tackles per game) and once this wheel is created you can compare that wheel to the wheel of all players (for those attributes) in the top 1 or 2 divisions in every country in Europe (or the World?) depending on strength of league.

43 minutes ago, phantom said:

Not entirely sure I see how. She didn't say much really. Unless Adam or Rachel are that much better at walking around a room carrying a microphone?

• Admin
5 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Not entirely sure I see how. She didn't say much really. Unless Adam or Rachel are that much better at walking around a room carrying a microphone?

I suspect Adam is infinitely better than her at operating the computer at the back of the room.

2 hours ago, bristolcitysweden said:

People not really interested don't need an event.

You are talking tripe. We are all interested and I for one hold my hand up to apologise for not going. Should there be another, I'll get off my backside and be there.

I'm very grateful for all those who went and the posts they have all made, Each one has a different emphasis to others and this is allowing us to see a broad picture. I still have reservations about LJ and his coaching team having the ability to get the first team performing with greater consistency. However, the club does now appear to have a structure in place for recruitment and development that should stand us in good stead in the future.

Me and me boy were very impressed with the night. So many agendas against the club and staff on here and many from those who didn't attend . I can't say if some of the moans are justified or not as I'm not qualified to say or privy to the relevant information. All I know is that it kept my lad interested for an hour and forty five minutes and has kept us talking all things Bristol City .  Can't fault the Club for trying to engage with us . 

• Admin
7 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

You did then - I thought I'd mistyped :facepalm::laughcont: and changed it !!!!

Id re-edit the edit but too late !!!

:laughcont:

Ok I've changed it back now :) 

More details about WyScout at the link below, including a free 15 day trial....how many members do we have on here, we could keep it going for years ;) 

https://wyscout.com/

1 hour ago, St Aldhelms Red said:

Breathe in. Exhale. Repeat several times.

Anyway, my question is mate, what's wrong with a drunken rambling?

I was hoping to attend this  as these things are generally good value,  but was able to at the last minute. From what people have said it sounds encouraging that the club has a direction and of course we will need to stick to this plan in the long term for it to be a success regardless of who is the manager.

It is also encouraging that a few people who attended have perhaps slightly altered their view on the current management structure after giving them a chance to explain the thought process behind the scenes. 

Less surprisingly the people who are very anti the current set  up not only didn't take the chance to attend and ask searching questions but insist on belittling those that seemed impressed with what they heard to further their agenda. . 

41 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Here's  a quick teaser for any of  you not there last night then to consider overnight 

Ravel Benitez employs , at his own expense , a member of staff / person

to do ............... what ?

Couldn't believe what I heard and had to check afterwards what I thought I'd heard

Oh you tease 

Archived