IGNORED

Q and A tonight

Phileas Fogg

26 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Thanks - no problem - glad it's of interest benefit to otheres

What the best of the forum is about

Wasn't sure about going but thought it might be interesting and the number of people who were interested but unable to go made my mind up that it would be worth going and to take full notes 

Glad I did as I found the evening very interesting - thought you could get a good feel for those answering in that environment , and really glad I made all the notes as going back through them I remembered lots of bits I'd forgotten and I found it doubly interesting going back through , with the added benefit of others knowing exactly what was said and discussed 

Id highly reccomend people going to the next one , if we are lucky enough that they continue them occasionally - for me it was not just what was said but for the feel / impression you got of those speaking

Wish i had gone now. Will definitely go to the next one, sounds very interesting

Part Seven (Final Part)

The next question from the floor (And I'd better get this accurate / right eh @Dollymarie !) to Lee concerned Aden Flint and whether with the window now closed had Lee sat down with AF to discuss how things were looking forward and if so how did the conversation go

LJ said that he hadn't , but it was on his list of things to do, ,as things had been hectic , and that he'd been meaning to , and that he probably would do so the following day but said that he thought Aden would 'be alright'

Lee said it was difficult when clubs were offering a hefty wage increase and that Aden was 28 , had come from non league and had maybe 60 pay cheques to try and maximise ,and that times had changed and the ever increasing wages offers in the game were substantial and the huge sums that players could be offered were bound to turn anyone's head , and so it was difficult, particularly with agents, and there were so many agendas , involving the buying club / selling club / agent / player and 'within that dynamic' there 'always going to be shenanigans' and 'fun and games' as could be seen in the public spat between himself and Redknapp

Lee said he didn't  like people talking about our players , that he wouldn't and doesn't think it's right and doesn't do it himself and didn't like the fact that he felt Birmingham tried to bully Bristol City publicly, and it put him in a difficult position as to whether to select Aden who was training well and showing no attitude toward the club or anyone , but when HR was suggesting publicly that AF wanted to go to Birmingham , and at point it becomes difficult as he cannot keep it under the radar with the fans or the rest of the squad

Lee pointed out that Aden was still here and would be until at least January and he would continue to assess every game , and what's right for the Club , and said he had been really pleased with BW this year and thinks NB is an 'unbelievable signing' for us and is 'one ready made' and the fact he was the fifth best centre half in Championship last year , to get him for the fee they did , he felt was 'unbelievable recruitment' and pointed out he was approaching his prime

LJ pointed out the quirk as such that NB wasn't 'allowed' to make mistakes (As he's an established Championship player) but that Elliason is as he's younger and still developing 

Lee was then asked by a supporter what he felt the biggest learning points were from last season

Lee said the first thing was that you never stop learning ,and pointed out that he was a young coach learning his way in a division of 'top top managers' and said that at Newcastle last season Benitez employs somebody just to watch the opposition manager and that LJ said he was just about to make a substitution when this information was relayed to Benitez so LJ (laughing) said 'I'm not going to make it then'

And this was the sort of thing and detail he was learning against with Newcastle bringing on players on £60/70000 a week off the bench

LJ pointed out that the upcoming game at Reading provided another challenge for the coaches tactically as Stamm he regarded as a top coach / manager and was a challenge he was excited to take on

LJ said coming back to the lessons learnt , he said recruitment was an interesting one , and not so much they got it wrong ,but maybe on a couple of occasions signed players who maybe didn't fit into his philosophy

He also said he felt 'Setting the rules' is really important in terms of culture and they thought they'd 'set the rules' but maybe they hadn't , and the coaching staff had since done an awful lot of work setting the culture and setting the rules

He also said he possibly over coached a little bit last season 'trying to find the formula ' after the good start fell off and they probably looked for the formula too hard and did too much on the training ground trying to 'find the answer'

LJ also said that they definitely had 'issues' last year internally , none of which was anyone's fault in particular and they hoped they didn't have such issues moving forward and sometimes stuff doesn't come out and that he and the staff took punches on the nose  to protect the players as it was the right thing to do

A supporter then addressed MA and said that as someone big in accountability and someone who by his own admission had a lot of experience in and getting out of  the Championship , and with Bristol thriving and needing a Premier League Club 'What's your commitment to make sure we get into the Premier League' pointing out Lees statement of getting into the top 6/2 in 3 or 4 years he found a bit underwhelming

LJ interjected and said that they were trying to fast track but the truth was they weren't on a level playing field financially , but that 'We will die in a ditch trying to get into the Premier League this season' and will be trying to win every game they go into

MA said that his commitment started in moving to Bristol which he had done because he needed to be in the City and understand the culture and community and hear what people were saying and that it wasn't a job to him but 'a way of life' and the only thing he could do was to get up every morning and give it all he had

MA said one of the biggest Club strengths was the owner and English and Bristolian ownership and somebody who really passionately cares, as does Jon Lansdown who works in the business on a day to day basis and that they (SL/ JL) were very careful who they recruited, and he didn't think they would have asked him to come back to the Club , knowing how he operated / worked if they didnt trust him

MA said his staff knew he led by example. He said he didn't think he could physically or mentally give any more than he did and would be here as long as he is wanted and will do everything he could to get the Club in the premier league

MA was asked if he had a five year business plan but stated that this was impossible in the business of a Football as the industry was constantly changing and that he worked on a two year basis because beyond that it's worthless 

Asked what his target was for the next two years MA replied 'Progression' and that each time he'd got out of the Championship it was built on progression and that if you 'kept progressing , keep moving forward, keep moving forward , you will get there'  but football was not a widget making company and in football 1 + 1 doesn't necessarily equate to two because by the width of a post you are relegated , are promoted and all you can do is to do everything you can every single day is work hard to reduce the risk and move forward and 'if you keep moving forward you will get promoted' and that has been the philosophy right throughout his career

MA pointed out that he had been promoted twice at WBA , once at Watford and had two other unsuccessful Play Off campaigns and the methodology gasped stayed exactly the same and 'I won't move from it' 

MA said that one of the mistakes they'd made last year ,and he held his hands up to this ,was they thought they had 'set the rules ' to the staff and players, but they hadn't 

He said they'd  'set the rules in our heads' but had not 'communicated effectively'  and that he had to take responsibility for that and this excuse has been removed this season 'right across the board' and everyone 'across the organisation knows their jobs, top to bottom'

MA said the Club were very fortunate to have the owner and board of directors that we have , we have a wonderful stadium and in the midst of  developing the  training ground with more information that will come out quite soon

MA pointed out that they had secured Category Two status for the academy and were looking to move forward with that and were recruiting for the U23s and needed to get better and better and better and conceded that we needed to do better on recruitment and we won't get it right all the time but his commitment will be relentless in the pursuit of excellence

LJ and Lisa Knights pointed out that contrary to the belief not all Clubs were doing this methodology in recruiting with LJ stating that we were the only Club doing what we are doing and Lisa Knights commented that coming in as an outsider the Club was unique in what they were doing

MA said Clubs used variations of what we use / how we use it but it was about understanding the ponds we were fishing in and that they were learning and needed to win football matches whilst they did so but this was ok as they understood it but we needed to be brave and used Elliason as an example where a collective decision was made to 'go for it' with the backing of SL , and had we waited, probably another two weeks we probably wouldn't have got him

From the floor a supporter then pointed out that they had said they did not want to sell their best players , but that AF had been one of our best players for the last three years and so why had we marketed him and also pointed out that Lee had said in the press that day , he would have no problem 'using him' if he'needed him'

MA said at no point had the Club 'marketed' AF and had turned down every offer they had received for AF

MA reiterated that AF had not been a minutes trouble and had been as 'good as gold' but whilst all the uncertainty was going on , it was very hard for LJ to play him , so as a group , to protect themselves they decided to bring in NB who we had an opportunity to bring in on  'a really good deal if we did it quickly' and there was no pressure from SL to sell AF and reaffirmed at no point had they marketed him

MA made it clear that at no point had AF said 'I want to leave, I don't want to play for this football club' as they had had with JK and said that at that point it was their job to get the maximum amount of money for the player but that they had not got to that point with AF

MA was asked if they had said to AF ', if we get offered  a certain amount we'd accept it ' and MA said he'd never had such a conversation with AF as it's irrelevant because 'we never got to that point'

MA pointed out that they had not wanted to or needed to sell JK the previous summer but the money offered had got to a stage where they said 'Blimey this is a lot of money' and at that point the player drove the deal by saying 'I want to leave' and at that point they had to do what was best for the Club

The final question was posed to MA with a supporter pointing out the dreadful run last season and that he was personally pleased that the board had stuck by this group of coaches but that although he didn't think it would , if this happened again 'Would you distant firm and  how did you stand firm through the 'fanfare' wanting Lee removed last season'

MA said in 30 years in the industry it was the most difficult season he had encountered on and off the pitch and things went on that no one could plan for and they went through a period where they were punched on the nose , punched on the nose,  punched on the nose, and this went back to the ownership and the stability.

He said that SL has a vision for the football club and had employed them to deliver that vision, that he knows that will take time and that there will be ups and downs ,and the good thing with SL is that he's done MAs role and as amreult , with SL you get consistency and he doesn't get massively up and he doesn't get massively down but you get a logical,conversation that you may not get with a foreign owner from who'you may get a more  emotional reaction or decision

MA said that they knew that with the coaching team they had , that believed in the philosophy  , that if they could get through that period ,they would be stronger for it

MA said in the past the Club had recruited managers in the past who had told a great story at interview of what they would do , but once in ,did the opposite and 'these guys (LJ/JM/DH) don't , they do what it says on the tin' and they had to stand by them , and said the strength of character that LJ showed was unbelievable , and the only way Lee would have been changed last season , would have been if Lee had gone to the board and  said 'you need to take me out , I can't do this' but that was never on the cards

MA said LJ was relentless and JM and DH 'stepped forward' and in the end the players stepped forward and we ended up ok.

The q&a session concluded at this point 

Ta for all the admin / text changing @Ian M 

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

@BobBobSuperBob did Lisa Knights really pass comment on our recuitment strategy?! 

Yes , in such she said the media set up was different at other clubs and in her experience what we were doing  with analysis / recruitment was pretty unique

A passing comment Tbf , but she did make a comment

8 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Yes , in such she said the media set up was different at other clubs and in her experience what we were doing  with analysis / recruitment was pretty unique

A passing comment Tbf , but she did make a comment

Get rid of Tim.

Mute the in-ground audio so no one can hear a thing.

Amazed this isn't standard.........

#Poor

7 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

"MA pointed out that he had been promoted twice with WBA"

Er  his roles in his time at WBA are listed as 'community officer' 'youth team coach' 'commercial executive' 'community director' and finally 'director of youth, community and new projects'.

Doesn't suggest he was massively involved in first team affairs!

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

;) :whistle2::nono:

10 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Er  his roles in his time at WBA are listed as 'community officer' 'youth team coach' 'commercial executive' 'community director' and finally 'director of youth, community and new projects'.

No-one checks a CV / LinkedIn profile......

....do they :whistle:

17 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

He was part of the synergy ffs.. I thought everybody knew this

Bob, thank you so much for that.

It made much more sense in full, and I now understand the context which 'Up The City" (thanks anyway to him) had failed to add.

In entirety, it seems much more genuine than corporate deep-throat.

I'm not sure we will be pushing for the top 2 in a year or three but it's great if the management are genuinely aiming for this, and it's not platitudes to silence the critics.

Time will tell, but perhaps genuinely, things are actually as they should be off-field, and the nepotism of the old days has gone.

On Sunday, September 10, 2017 at 00:33, WTFiGO!?! said:

Ah, fair play.

There's words that strike 1000 times deeper than Mark Ashton ever can and they are Reading 0-1 Bristol City.

My understanding of LJ is that he has gone down the road of 'evidenced based research',  cyclically used in the education of nurses and teachers.  

My experience of evidenced based research is that it is all good in theory, as is it's nature.

What the reality is, when trendy young students come in on placement armed from their universities with evidence based research (I was one) and a patient is screaming in their face, being spat at or are head butting a wall - their evidence based research is fast forgotten.  Their actual instinct kicks in and they learn a damn lot from the incident.  

The revelation that Paterson is being convinced to occupy the  front or back post because it makes statistical sense - because knoekart scored 15 goals last season for Brighton and we sign the likes of Ellision and Engvar on the basis that they fit with current theory is an expensive and certainly experimental way to go.

And who should score the winner? A no-nonsense centre half.

Paterson had a really good chance exactly in the area LJ asked him to get into. It narrowly went wide.

17 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

His best chance yesterday was from getting into the kind of positions LJ wants and being picked out by Bobby Reid. He pulled that one wide, but it shows that he is trying want the coach wants.

4 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Paterson had a really good chance exactly in the area LJ asked him to get into. It narrowly went wide.

Echo? Or great minds :) ? 

4 hours ago, Up The City! said:

The thread has developed considerably since that post was written but for the sake of argument, if for example there's a 65% chance of achieving the desired result if we take action A and a 35% chance of the same result if we take action B is it sensible to take action A 100% of the time?

What if everything other than the statistics are screaming at us to take action B?  Do we still opt to take action A because the evidence tells us it gives us a greater statistical chance of success?

Is football and life in general not far more nuanced than statistics?

But we've been through all of this in quite some detail already.

11 minutes ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

The thread has developed considerably since that post was written but for the sake of argument, if for example there's a 65% chance of achieving the desired result if we take action A and a 35% chance of the same result if we take action B is it sensible to take action A 100% of the time?

What if everything other than the statistics are screaming at us to take action B?  Do we still opt to take action A because the evidence tells us it gives us a greater statistical chance of success?

Is football and life in general not far more nuanced than statistics?

But we've been through all of this in quite some detail already.

The old saying is that madness in management is doing the same things but expecting a different result.

What LJ seems to be advocating is the opposite i.e. if statistical evidence shows that course of action A results in the desired outcome in an overwhelming number of occasions then it would be madness to ignore it.

My take is that sitting in the office and planing for the forthcoming game, LJ will probably make his selection and tactical choices using a lot of statistical input. The nuance consideration, as you put it, is what is more difficult to factor in, e.g. how individual players perform on the day and , probably more importantly, how the opposition set up and perform, or even how the opposition manager changes things during the game , both tactically and with substitutions.

I would imagine that LJ's in game management will be where he will make these more intuitive decisions.

I would imagine the hope is that as we get stronger, the better the  coaches game plan better each game and the more players are able to apply all of this , then the onus falls on the opposition to counter us, rather than the other way around.

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Gotta say, that's a superb write up by @BobBobSuperBob

So much detail. Thanks so much, gives those of us who couldn't make it a real full picture.

Thanks Mr P  - and others who've expressed their enjoyment / thanks - You are more than welcome 

no biggie - nothing clever , just a bit of typing with fat thumbs !!

The time it took was more than worth it , with the number of people interested  , and who appear to have got value of it

Found it interesting going back through it myself and the evenings content gives us all more idea and a bigger picture of what goes on and the  work being  done, and the  philosophies and reasons 

I can promise that the exact quotations and contentt are all very accurate and very little has been omitted (Two small bits of info that the Club didn't want doing rounds on social media - but not jaw dropping stuff and fairly irrelevant and uninteresting really  in comparison to the rest of the evenings content )

I

11 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Thanks Mr P  - and others who've expressed their enjoyment / thanks - You are more than welcome 

no biggie - nothing clever , just a bit of typing with fat thumbs !!

The time it took was more than worth it , with the number of people interested  , and who appear to have got value of it

Found it interesting going back through it myself and the evenings content gives us all more idea and a bigger picture of what goes on and the  work being  done, and the  philosophies and reasons 

I can promise that the exact quotations and contentt are all very accurate and very little has been omitted (Two small bits of info that the Club didn't want doing rounds on social media - but not jaw dropping stuff and fairly irrelevant and uninteresting really  in comparison to the rest of the evenings content )

I

Did they mention whether these would be a regular thing? Shame if it's just annual. I think there would be enough interest to justify having one every 3 months or so of the season.

One at the beginning, in the middle, and one at the end.

50 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Did they mention whether these would be a regular thing? Shame if it's just annual. I think there would be enough interest to justify having one every 3 months or so of the season.

One at the beginning, in the middle, and one at the end.

They,didn't PF -

I hope the poor attendance won't put them off

I hope  that the fact that content gets widely discussed , sprread and digested by word of mouth , and on the forum etc and people's interest in what was discussed , will encourage them to continue - it's a very good thing IMHO to explain some of the work that goes on 

One of the reasons I didn't attend was I wasn't sure how long it went on for, didn't fancy spending 2 hours in the car for something that may have lasted 45 minutes. From what I've read, if there's another at a time when I'm free then I'll be attending the next one. 

39 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

They,didn't PF -

I hope the poor attendance won't put them off

I hope  that the fact that content gets widely discussed , sprread and digested by word of mouth , and on the forum etc and people's interest in what was discussed , will encourage them to continue - it's a very good thing IMHO to explain some of the work that goes on 

Judging by your reports it's a very good thing for them to do and all sounds very positive.  

It means we have to speculate less and that can only help to improve relations between club and us.  'Us and them' dynamics are less likely to arise if us actually know what them are doing, within reason.  There is so much crap spoken in press conferences, pre and post match interviews that I barely listen to them.  This sounds as though it was indepth and transparent.  I'm not sure I liked all I heard but at least I had the chance to hear it.

I only realised it was on, on here, on the day itself which was too late.  I imagine numbers would be higher next time due to the positivity surrounding this.

I prefer questions of a Jeremy Paxman nature to those of a David Garmston of BBC Points West nature i.e. the club officials to be put under proper scrutiny, not  mere pleasantries between guest and talk show host.

Cheers for feeding back!

4 minutes ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

Judging by your reports it's a very good thing for them to do and all sounds very positive.  

It means we have to speculate less and that can only help to improve relations between club and us.  'Us and them' dynamics are less likely to arise if us actually know what them are doing, within reason.  There is so much crap spoken in press conferences, pre and post match interviews that I barely listen to them.  This sounds as though it was indepth and transparent.  I'm not sure I liked all I heard but at least I had the chance to hear it.

I only realised it was on, on here, on the day itself which was too late.  I imagine numbers would be higher next time due to the positivity surrounding this.

I prefer questions of a Jeremy Paxman nature to those of a David Garmston of BBC Points West nature i.e. the club officials to be put under proper scrutiny, not  mere pleasantries between guest and talk show host.

Cheers for feeding back!

Nailed the benefit of the session for Club , and supporters , for me  :thumbsup:

Cracking write up Bob, and some really interesting information coming out, it really seems to me that the club as a whole is heading in the right direction for the first time I can remember in my time supporting City, I just hope that LJ can bring the success that we are clearly gearing towards, however equally even if he doesn't i'm confident that if we do part ways the path will still be set and followed even as managers change.  

On 08/09/2017 at 21:40, BobBobSuperBob said:

Part Two

MA said he's not involved in talent ID / recruitment , that there was a team of people involved , with the final decision Lees , and the finances sat with him (MA) through to the board and SL and that contract negotiations were also his (MAs) responsibility and that ultimately they work as a team......

LJ then asked for some slides to be shown , from software called StatsBomb that they use & explained they can input their requirements for a particular position and all the aorta stats get analysed and said he would explain how they identified and recruited Nicholas Eliasson 

LJ explained that he was sat in bed in his lap top , looking for a Knockaert type player who he had wide right in his chosen Championship eleven

The software they use will look at Knockhart and throw up similar players (Totally football manager like) in a list with name, age, club, etc

(through the process Lee was pointing out the list that resulted and the comparative data / stats on StatsBomb and explaining what they actually mean e.g. A 'successful' dribble means he's gone past an opponent and 'delivered a chance'

Using Knockaert attributes up came (amongst a list of players in the last five years in any league in the world from their top two divisions, incl players at top European Clubs and way out our league - Robben , Pedro , Isco !!!! ) was Eliasson ( And interestingly Jamie Patterson)

Lee explains he then uses WyScout Software to call up 7-10 mins or so clips of Eliasson 

Liked what he saw, got the analysts to look at him - They go through a minimum of 15 games analysing and clipping every touch and off ball movement and they produced a Pack and said they liked the player

said for every one they like / try and sign there's probably 90 that they’ve considered and dismissed for various reasons

They then give this to Lee who consulted JM / DH etc

Lee , JM and DH all liked the look of him and LJ contacts Mervin Day to get 'eyes on'

All agree with LJ , LJ gets Eliasson watched in person five or six times , incl by himself 

Initial queries made about availability / price / would player be interested and the all the reports and opinions and the final decision, (except finances) comes back to Lee

LJ explained NE is a risk as all signings but that due diligence incl social media , does he go out , does he have a girlfriend etc are all covered

Said that they will have four or five options in each position and a final decision is made on ability , availability etc and ultimately they felt the 'risk' was worth taking 'because of his outstanding attributes' and recognises he has weaknesses in his game as well which they need to work on and develop

said that if NE had no defects in his game we wouldn't have him / get him

said that he's has cost us two goals by losing his runner but has been delighted with him in training with his quick feet, quick , can finish and goes past Joe Bryan 'which is hard to do' and is a dilemma right at this stage (Attributes v weaknesses) can he 'risk' him in Championship as the tempo of Swedish  League is vastly different to Championship

Described Eliasson as a 'Fantastic Kid ' and a 'coaches dream' as he absorbs information 'like a sponge'

As an after thought Super Bob, was Famara Diedhiou brought into discussion at all?  Point me to the post if I missed it, or was our record £5.3m signing not mentioned? I've only gone back three pages to look.

To be fair, were the tens of millions  spent on transfer fees over the last three windows mentioned at all?

I stand to be put right if they were.

4 hours ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

As an after thought Super Bob, was Famara Diedhiou brought into discussion at all?  Point me to the post if I missed it, or was our record £5.3m signing not mentioned? I've only gone back three pages to look.

To be fair, were the tens of millions  spent on transfer fees over the last three windows mentioned at all?

I stand to be put right if they were.

Not individually WTFIGO - The question of  recruitment was more general and answered in depth

IIRC the only specific mention of FD was LJ pointing out that he was only 24 and had to adapt from French Football and the role required of him here

Archived