IGNORED

Malaysian investors interested in City?

Inactive user

NO THANKS AT 1000 Decibels.  If foreign investors become owners at Ashton Gate then I will seriously have to consider my position. I'm committed to a 180 mile round trip for home matches for a club I've supported for 60 years.  Bristol City is a proper Bristol club.  A magnificent stadium that brings tears to my eyes as I walk down from The Robins.  And currently a great squad of players.  The thought of it being owned by people who are just business focussed saddens me greatly. Mr Lansdown has some serious wealth. Perhaps he could consider a trust fund arrangement that would ensure that Bristol City remains in UK ownership.  What a legacy that would be.  

Have the Malaysians done their due diligence?

They must be getting us mixed up with Moron FC.

Championship sprinklers. Loyal fan base the world loves. Unique kit. Massive potential. Billy Fackin Bodin. Their manager loves dogs ... For more than eating

#WeWannaBeCarriedDownGwosterLoad

5 hours ago, Rednwhiterob said:

Did anyone else hear anything about the possible Malaysian investors tonight?

Apparently it's a group who already have sporting interests in other clubs.  Not sure if this would be a good thing or not but perhaps it's a sign of intent to push on and make a real bid to get to the Premier League.

It's not Vincent Tan is it?

How do we improve upon a Bristolian owner who is not ladening the club with debt?

I calculated that the gas will have fully drawn their debt facility of £10m secured upon the ground by March at which point, with all the assets mortgaged, the owners would need to start putting their own cash at risk.  So I'd expect them to be sounding out potential buyers already and this may be the source of the OP.

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

How do we improve upon a Bristolian owner who is not ladening the club with debt?

I calculated that the gas will have fully drawn their debt facility of £10m secured upon the ground by March at which point, with all the assets mortgaged, the owners would need to start putting their own cash at risk.  So I'd expect them to be sounding out potential buyers already and this may be the source of the OP.

The club is in debt. Mr Lansdown could clear that debt and still be in total control of BCFC etc.

Im sure that foreign investors could help if the deal was right.  A foreign takeover, no way.

However, nobody is ever going to make any money out of a football club, so the word investor is a bit of a misnomer

Equally, money alone does not always bring success.  Quite a few Champonship clubs have spent an awful lot and are still Championship clubs, yet how much have Huddersfield and Burnley spent?

8 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Im sure that foreign investors could help if the deal was right.  A foreign takeover, no way.

However, nobody is ever going to make any money out of a football club, so the word investor is a bit of a misnomer

Equally, money alone does not always bring success.  Quite a few Champonship clubs have spent an awful lot and are still Championship clubs, yet how much have Huddersfield and Burnley spent?

Oh they are Wendy - albeit only a few

There was an interesting radio piece the other day when the foreign ownership was discussed from a business perspective

I can't remember the figures quoted but, in essence buy a Championship Club , invest to get promoted , get promoted to the Prem and your shares / Club / investment is suddenly worth x your investment

I do think Chinese / Malaysian type investors must have looked at us - we'd be ripe in theory to be bought

However , listening to MA speaking about SL , as a English , Bristolian , last night as the Clubs biggest asset , I can't see SL selling to a foreign owner (Could see him allowing some investment but can't see him ever relinquishing a majority shareholding)

I've not heard of this rumour before and I'm not really sure what to think . From what I've heard last night it wouldn't suit our current model . Would love to see us throw shed loads of money at it and what a giddy ride that would be . Is it in the evil post yet ?

3 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

We can't. 

I dread the day we ever get taken over by an owner who couldn't give two hoots about our beloved club. Hopefully, that day will never come.

Too many foreign owners are destroying so many of our football clubs. Although it's by no means just foreign owners. There have been/are some truly dreadful British owners.

2 hours ago, Raging_Robin said:

SL has stated in the past, the only way he would sell this club is if the buyers were credible and would benefit the club more than he would. If someone were to buy the club, I'm sure they wouldn't be cowboys and that they would invest heavily. 

I would welcome anything that would push this club forward, however, I can't see anyone pushing this club forward more than SL (in a sustainable way). 

David Moores said that same and then sold Liverpool to Hicks and Gillett. I'm sure he had the right intentions given his family's history with the club but he ended up selling to two guys who didn't benefit the club at all, quite the opposite. If that can happen to Liverpool it could absolutely happen to us.

Think this is bullshit.

SL has created and funded BS with City and the Rugby and all the other factions for one reason only. A legacy.

We all know JL will take the reins one day. It will become his baby and one he will nurture until it passes onwards.

Any future owners would come after Jon.

I know I am repeating myself, but would investment be in Bristol City or Bristol Sport? I am not enough of a businessman to work out whether these are two separate entities or whether they are so tightly knit now, that any investment could not be ring fenced into the football side. My impression from previous interviews etc, that part of the development of Bristol Sport was to negate any hostile takeover of the football club by foreign investors.

55 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I know I am repeating myself, but would investment be in Bristol City or Bristol Sport? I am not enough of a businessman to work out whether these are two separate entities or whether they are so tightly knit now, that any investment could not be ring fenced into the football side. My impression from previous interviews etc, that part of the development of Bristol Sport was to negate any hostile takeover of the football club by foreign investors.

Close but no cigar

No one is going to "invest" without some aspect of "ownership", otherwise their "investment" is effectively just a "loan".

To be an investment they would want an equity stake, so they make money if the share value goes up (i.e on promotion). That of course means by selling some of the shares SL would make less as he would have diluted his holdings. Bearing in mind what he has invested so far I can not see him doing this now , after he has completed the new stadium, bought the training ground and put money in to the team. If he was going to sell some of his shares it would have been before all that not after.

Americans buy purely to make profits, Russians to get a higher profile and therefore les likely to suffer "an accident", Chinese to get in with their leader and Arabs for International recognition.

Me, I prefer SL everyday of the week.

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Bristol Sport own Bristol City FC plus the others, therefore Bristol Sport as a whole could be sold, or Bristol Sport could sell Bristol City FC to someone else and retain the rugby etc

Archived