IGNORED

Malaysian investors interested in City?

Inactive user

1 hour ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

I also don't buy the line about the club not being laden with debt. It is. To the Bank of Lansdown.

I'm not saying I'm not appreciative of his investment and the improvements that have been made - just that I don't see him in the same way as many others seem to.

Discuss?

He's turned actual debt (bank loans) into equity (a higher proportion of ownership of the club) and written some of it off. Neither of those actions are the same as has happened elsewhere when clubs like Bolton have borrowed hundreds of millions against physical assets or within high interest loans.

The difference with Steve Lansdown is that he has a far better financial return from Hargreaves Lansdown than any football investment would give him. A lot of UK football investors don't have that income - they are fans or ex-players. Foreign investors have very different motives such as vanity, money-laundering, tax-evasion and profile raising. SL has none of those reasons to pour money into Ashton Gate.

1 hour ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Here's an alternative view.

When SL gets whatever it is he wants he'll sell up.

i don't buy the philanthropic benefactor line. I see him as an investor. Sport and his home town are the vehicles to get him whatever he wants.

He'll have an exit strategy that when reached he'll be off. Who knows what that is?

I also don't buy the line about the club not being laden with debt. It is. To the Bank of Lansdown.

I'm not saying I'm not appreciative of his investment and the improvements that have been made - just that I don't see him in the same way as many others seem to.

Discuss?

Interesting.  He's taken a huge gamble.  Who's to say he's not entitled to get his money back one day.

Archived