IGNORED

The Official Match Day Thread 6 - Reading v Bristol City

8 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Hurricanes. Magnificently destructive. Heartbreaking in their aftermath.

The entire population of Barbuda has now been safely evacuated by the Antigua government. 1600 people have left what remains of their homes behind in the aftermath of the most powerful hurricane in recorded history. In a week of unprecedented storms in the Atlantic and the Caribbean, not to mention the biggest earthquake off the coast of Mexico's Pacific coast in a century, we are returning from a fortnight hiatus in league football. Spare some serious thoughts for the remaining path of Irma, re-strengthened to a Category 5 overnight as it tears through the northern province of Camaguey, Cuba. Before that it made a direct hit for my brother in Anguilla, following its destruction of Barbuda, St Maarten/St. Martin, St Barts, the British and US Virgin Islands, the Turks & Caicos Islands and parts of southern Bahamas. Not to mention causing severe flood damage in parts of Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic and Haiti. Now it heads for Florida where a mandatory evacuation is in progress. Miraculously whatsapp still functions in Anguilla and all are well but the island is devastated as all of those mentioned are to a greater or lesser degree. Then, just to rub some more salt in and as the chain saws go silent again another category 4, near 5, approaches with landfall in about 10 hours over Anguilla. At least Barbuda, also to be hit again, is deserted and quiet now waiting to be finished off by Jose. With Hurricane Katia in the Gulf you have to go back to 1950 to find 3 hurricanes simultaneously wreaking their havoc across the Caribbean. We may look back at the record books 50 or 100 years from now and say this is when global warming smacked us in the face to wake us up.

If only 'Football Saturday', which we all love so much, could detract all of those poor souls experiencing a nightmare, again. My friends and family in Cuba are safe and sound and the island uses its Soviet era efficiency to mobilise the masses to safety; although that does sound a little like an oxymoron I admit. I think Cuba takes a more pragmatic approach to getting people to safety, probably through necessity, than does the USA. The latter tends to become whipped up, excuse the pun none intended, by CNN and Fox News showing a mass exodus north on I95, massive lines at Miami and Fort Lauderdale airports that creates not a little hysteria. While the UK Gov't is criticized by its apparent lack of response yet before Irma arrived they had Marines positioned, they are already cleaning up and have Anguilla airport open, the hospital electricity back and shelters rebuilt and they are doing the same on the BVI. Transport planes have been flying more supplies and troops in and more support is on the way. I would say its under control but like the Florida Governor says, you cannot help people during a storm. The two countries likely not to cope too well are the Dominican Republic and Haiti and they will be the last to moan. These humble people will be glad of any support and it will come. 

10 dead so far, 60+ in the Mexican earthquake in numbers that will surely rise. I thought it appropriate to say a few words about these tragedies before we, privileged to be out of harms way, can enjoy our Football Saturday' lest we always take such pleasures for granted.

Now, who are we playing? OH yes, Jaap Stam's Reading. What a poor record we have in recent times against a team which seems somewhere between Division 4 Elm Park and Steve Coppell Premiership in my mindset; I cannot remove that juxtaposition of Reading from my mind. I mean no ill will toward Reading whatsoever but they seem incongruous as a Premier League or even a Championship football team. I cannot explain it. One thing is for sure though; Stam has them on an upward spiral once more so much credit must go to him. City could turn up and blow them away with Taylor, almost like a new signing, along with the other new faces; ie City will be a real threat to Reading because of this unknown quantity. But, by the same token, we may be undone by that very fact; City may not gel if Lee Johnson gets his formation wrong, his pre match team talk too off pat and makes the wrong substitutions when it does not work. He has a very mixed record under such pressures. 

Hopefully the relatively short distance down the boring M4 motorway will swell the away bank at the Madjeski and help the club avoid a defeat and at least put on a performance worthy of the money Steve Lansdown has sanctioned in transfers. Enjoy the match you'all and say a prayer that Hurricane Jose turns north soon and avoids the Northern Leewards.

:)

Thak you for putting everything in perspective Hav, glad to hear you and yours are safe, I have been lucky enough to visit 4 of the places you mention in that report and I know how few options they have when something like this happens. At least the Floridians have the option of evacuation! Looking at the tracker, Jose does appear to be on a far less destructive course, so fingers crossed. 

I'd take a draw today, but I for one wont be defining our season off the back of any negative result.

• Like 4
24 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

The entire population of Barbuda has now been safely evacuated by the Antigua government. 1600 people have left what remains of their homes behind in the aftermath of the most powerful hurricane in recorded history. In a week of unprecedented storms in the Atlantic and the Caribbean, not to mention the biggest earthquake off the coast of Mexico's Pacific coast in a century, we are returning from a fortnight hiatus in league football. Spare some serious thoughts for the remaining path of Irma, re-strengthened to a Category 5 overnight as it tears through the northern province of Camaguey, Cuba. Before that it made a direct hit for my brother in Anguilla, following its destruction of Barbuda, St Maarten/St. Martin, St Barts, the British and US Virgin Islands, the Turks & Caicos Islands and parts of southern Bahamas. Not to mention causing severe flood damage in parts of Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic and Haiti. Now it heads for Florida where a mandatory evacuation is in progress. Miraculously whatsapp still functions in Anguilla and all are well but the island is devastated as all of those mentioned are to a greater or lesser degree. Then, just to rub some more salt in and as the chain saws go silent again another category 4, near 5, approaches with landfall in about 10 hours over Anguilla. At least Barbuda, also to be hit again, is deserted and quiet now waiting to be finished off by Jose. With Hurricane Katia in the Gulf you have to go back to 1950 to find 3 hurricanes simultaneously wreaking their havoc across the Caribbean. We may look back at the record books 50 or 100 years from now and say this is when global warming smacked us in the face to wake us up.

If only 'Football Saturday', which we all love so much, could detract all of those poor souls experiencing a nightmare, again. My friends and family in Cuba are safe and sound and the island uses its Soviet era efficiency to mobilise the masses to safety; although that does sound a little like an oxymoron I admit. I think Cuba takes a more pragmatic approach to getting people to safety, probably through necessity, than does the USA. The latter tends to become whipped up, excuse the pun none intended, by CNN and Fox News showing a mass exodus north on I95, massive lines at Miami and Fort Lauderdale airports that creates not a little hysteria. While the UK Gov't is criticized by its apparent lack of response yet before Irma arrived they had Marines positioned, they are already cleaning up and have Anguilla airport open, the hospital electricity back and shelters rebuilt and they are doing the same on the BVI. Transport planes have been flying more supplies and troops in and more support is on the way. I would say its under control but like the Florida Governor says, you cannot help people during a storm. The two countries likely not to cope too well are the Dominican Republic and Haiti and they will be the last to moan. These humble people will be glad of any support and it will come. 

10 dead so far, 60+ in the Mexican earthquake in numbers that will surely rise. I thought it appropriate to say a few words about these tragedies before we, privileged to be out of harms way, can enjoy our Football Saturday' lest we always take such pleasures for granted.

Now, who are we playing? OH yes, Jaap Stam's Reading. What a poor record we have in recent times against a team which seems somewhere between Division 4 Elm Park and Steve Coppell Premiership in my mindset; I cannot remove that juxtaposition of Reading from my mind. I mean no ill will toward Reading whatsoever but they seem incongruous as a Premier League or even a Championship football team. I cannot explain it. One thing is for sure though; Stam has them on an upward spiral once more so much credit must go to him. City could turn up and blow them away with Taylor, almost like a new signing, along with the other new faces; ie City will be a real threat to Reading because of this unknown quantity. But, by the same token, we may be undone by that very fact; City may not gel if Lee Johnson gets his formation wrong, his pre match team talk too off pat and makes the wrong substitutions when it does not work. He has a very mixed record under such pressures. 

Hopefully the relatively short distance down the boring M4 motorway will swell the away bank at the Madjeski and help the club avoid a defeat and at least put on a performance worthy of the money Steve Lansdown has sanctioned in transfers. Enjoy the match you'all and say a prayer that Hurricane Jose turns north soon and avoids the Northern Leewards.

My eldest daughter lives in Jacksonville. FL and has property on the Keys which has been evacuated, she is in touch with me by phone daily and is boarding up her house assisted by my 4 grandkids !! Son in law is US Navy and a City supporter who has gone on emergency patrol so cant help out so down to her. And we moan about a bit of rain here !!!!:badmood:

Edited by oldstandrobin
  • Like 3

Your match day post is always of interest Havana. It really does put a little game of football into perspective although I, like thousand's of other City fans will forget all of the reality for a couple of hours.

The only country that I've been to is the Dominican Republic where I spent two days inside a Unilever factory. The poverty I saw then is probably the same now so while one could say they have nothing except their lives to lose, the victims of these events will lose everything. Makes our lives seem so comfortable doesn't it.

Three points for us today? Who knows. What will be, will be.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, oldstandrobin said:

My eldest daughter lives in Jacksonville. FL and has property on the Keys which has been evacuated, she is in touch with me by phone daily and is boarding up her house assisted by my 4 grandkids !! Son in law is US Navy and a City supporter who has gone on emergency patrol so cant help out so down to her. And we moan about a bit of rain here !!!!:badmood:

Make sure you send text messages of City update scores to him!! Although that might be an unnecessary distraction as he does a very important job. 

7 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Your match day post is always of interest Havana. It really does put a little game of football into perspective although I, like thousand's of other City fans will forget all of the reality for a couple of hours.

The only country that I've been to is the Dominican Republic where I spent two days inside a Unilever factory. The poverty I saw then is probably the same now so while one could say they have nothing except their lives to lose, the victims of these events will lose everything. Makes our lives seem so comfortable doesn't it.

Three points for us today? Who knows. What will be, will be.

Haiti is far worse although the DR is poor enough. 

Yep certainly does remember going to Cuba a few times met some of the nicest people i have ever met. Little money but always had a smile. Best wishes to all the people affected and hope they can recover.

Good luck to City today bring the points back down the M4. COYR.

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Condensed Version

Reading

Family & friends all safe in Cuba ................ good news

As for football we might stuff them or they might stuff us.  LJ may not use gel.

1-1

• Like 1

Cheers Havana.

I have a project in the Dominican Republic at the moment and have been taking a keener interest than normal in these hurricanes as I am trying to send people out there. It truly is devastating.

Back to the footy - my travel plans have been disrupted by the family wanting to use the car today (bloody cheek) so I'm on the train later. Hoping for a better result than the last few trips to Reading which have been disappointing. Last year was really frustrating. COYR's

• Like 2
1 hour ago, oldstandrobin said:

While the UK Gov't is criticized by its apparent lack of response yet before Irma arrived they had Marines positioned, they are already cleaning up and have Anguilla airport open, the hospital electricity back and shelters rebuilt and they are doing the same on the BVI.

and C4 news last night were obviously gutted. Set up their piece about how badly the UK govt had dealt with it, had a representative from Angilla lined up to rip into them, who instead just praised the speed of the response, no matter how hard they tried to lead her into a moan.

So, today I am not going to moan about the speed of LJ's response to us going behind (unless we go behind and he doesn't make changes quickly enough, obviously :whistle2:).

Like to think we could surprise today, but expect to lose 2-1. Might have to bet on Reading, that should see us get at lest a draw!

• Like 2
2 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Well written as always...I have spent a few years going to Cuba and the Dominican and they are the loveliest people you want to meet and I hope and pray they all come through it ok....There will be no whingeing from them at all. 1-2 to the reds :laugh: after a tense finish..COYR ..I will miss the  game as I'm of to Bulgaria with bcfcChris for the week Bon voyage

• Like 1

Morning all.

Glad you and others are safe @havanatopia. Hope it turns outwards back to sea to stop further destruction.

Reading 2-1. But hope the City boys and girls make a huge amount of noise in the quietest stadium in the UK.

Edit: I know @One Team In Keynsham is out near Cuba so hope him and his family are safe too.

Edited by Septic Peg
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Cider_boy said:

and C4 news last night were obviously gutted. Set up their piece about how badly the UK govt had dealt with it, had a representative from Angilla lined up to rip into them, who instead just praised the speed of the response, no matter how hard they tried to lead her into a moan.

So, today I am not going to moan about the speed of LJ's response to us going behind (unless we go behind and he doesn't make changes quickly enough, obviously :whistle2:).

Like to think we could surprise today, but expect to lose 2-1. Might have to bet on Reading, that should see us get at lest a draw!

Very strange things are happening here as well..............I didnt do the post to which Cider_boy responded above . Very strange have I been hacked :ph34r: