IGNORED

The Official Match Day Thread 6 - Reading v Bristol City

10 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

One question which may have been asked elsewhere. WTF is going on with pushing Flint up wide halfway just to play for flick ons??? Horrible tactic , at least when we did it with JB it wasn't pulling your main central defensive partnership apart.

Also frankie wasn't exactly picking him out... kept going for a throw as I remember...

1 hour ago, Rednwhiterob said:

Good to see us getting a few goals late on this season.  I wonder if we're a fitter and more accomplished squad this season.

Concentrating better and keeping discipline - all helped by being fitter.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Wanderingred said:

Looking at some of their forum posts, a lot of Reading fans are being rather ungracious in defeat and refusing to give us any credit whatsoever.

Yeah saw that myself. Also saw some comments on one of the youtube clips from one of their fans saying we are a pointless club. Always found them a very bitter bunch with delusions of grandeur.

• Like 1
On 9/9/2017 at 19:19, cidered abroad said:

You have to give youngsters time. Do you think Gerry Gow was given "legend" status in his early days. My goodness, he was raw but we could see the talent. If any Academy player can get 6-10 starts in a season early on in their career, it pays dividends later when they become established.

And ask all his team mates how Zak did today and they'll be singing his praises because they went through the sort of game he had at the start of their careers. Take the positives from it and work on the things not done so well. 

Indeed, but those of us who had already watched him regularly in that wonderful youth team that got to the semi-final of the FA Youth Cup in 1970 before losing to Tottenham knew that he, amongst others in that team, was something special - a large number from that team were instrumental in getting promotion to what was then Division 1.

My brother in law as a neutral(armchair supporting Chelski fan) went with Reading fans, while I went in the away end, I asked what he thought earlier.. said it was the worst games he's ever seen, was about the 2nd games he's seen at an actual real football league ground he also said atleast Chelsea won. Really wound me up, had an argument over dinner :grr:

16 minutes ago, alexukhc said:

My brother in law as a neutral(armchair supporting Chelski fan) went with Reading fans, while I went in the away end, I asked what he thought earlier.. said it was the worst games he's ever seen, was about the 2nd games he's seen at an actual real football league ground he also said atleast Chelsea won. Really wound me up, had an argument over dinner :grr:

Don't you mean tea ? Dinners what posh people have 

2 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Indeed, but those of us who had already watched him regularly in that wonderful youth team that got to the semi-final of the FA Youth Cup in 1970 before losing to Tottenham knew that he, amongst others in that team, was something special - a large number from that team were instrumental in getting promotion to what was then Division 1.

Totally agree that those of us who went to see the reserve and youth teams, could see what was developing. But many fans who only watched the first team struggling to survive then, were similarly minded to those present supporters who also are only concerned with the league team and demanded immediate action rather than a building slowly process.

The major difference between the two eras is that we now have social media for all to join in. In the past similar things were said in pubs, buses to and from the ground and the Saturday evening queue for the Green 'Un.

On 09/09/2017 at 04:49, Septic Peg said:

Morning all.

Glad you and others are safe @havanatopia. Hope it turns outwards back to sea to stop further destruction.

Reading 2-1. But hope the City boys and girls make a huge amount of noise in the quietest stadium in the UK.

Edit: I know @One Team In Keynsham is out near Cuba so hope him and his family are safe too.

Just spotted this Peg, thank you for your thoughts.

• Like 1