IGNORED

BCTV (Merged)

Redmycolour

On the subject of VPNs, a friend of mine uses HOLA which used to work wonderfully, including with the BBC.

Recently, however, the BBC appear to have tightened up and my friend now receives messages, especially on 'Player', saying that the site is only available within the UK.

Does anybody know if this is only relevant to HOLA?

I use PIA (Private Internet Access) which is VPN for a variety of reasons however the market is tightening up on these, Netflix and IPlayer will still restrict access when using it. I`m hoping the BCTV+ will not be quite so wise to it but there are no guarantees. I cannot vouch for other VPN providers though so there may still be ones out there that can bypass the blocks.

14 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

On the subject of VPNs, a friend of mine uses HOLA which used to work wonderfully, including with the BBC.

Recently, however, the BBC appear to have tightened up and my friend now receives messages, especially on 'Player', saying that the site is only available within the UK.

Does anybody know if this is only relevant to HOLA?

That's because to access iPlayer you now have to have a tv license. So I'm guessing anyone outside the UK can't get a tv license and so therefore can't access iPlayer. 

3 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

That's because to access iPlayer you now have to have a tv license. So I'm guessing anyone outside the UK can't get a tv license and so therefore can't access iPlayer. 

Thanks Dolly.

That would explain the problem with 'Player', but sporting highlights are also 'blocked'. SKY and other sites don't pose a problem, so I wondered if it was just the BBC who have tightened up. 

30 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Thanks Dolly.

That would explain the problem with 'Player', but sporting highlights are also 'blocked'. SKY and other sites don't pose a problem, so I wondered if it was just the BBC who have tightened up. 

Yes they have. But it's a constantly moving game. They block some VPN IP addresses and a VPN will move elsewhere. They aren't actually enforcing TV licenses, you just have to say you have one at the moment.

2 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

Exactly. It's a daft set-up and needs amending (Adam B has been told) but it works!

I'll check this thread before ko to see if you're still having problems and will do my best to help you. Just remember once you know you're logged on so does the site but it doesn't acknowledge it. Get out of your update details screen and click back onto the audio broadcast pop up. This time you'll see a pic of a microphone plus equipment now there's a red arrow box in the centre. Click on this and your audio feed will start after a few seconds of loading.

What could possibly go wrong......

I might need your help, having the same problem. Paid my dosh but haven't managed to listen to any games yet! 

46 minutes ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

I might need your help, having the same problem. Paid my dosh but haven't managed to listen to any games yet! 

No probs. I'll check here from 7 as broadcast should start by then. 

If you follow my last post, it's bound to work subject to usual t&c!

1 hour ago, Dollymarie said:

Given the frequency I hear the Eastenders and Casualty theme-tunes playing in our bedroom, I would say my wife has managed to bypass iPlayer's attempts to restrict access from outside the UK.

11 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Given the frequency I hear the Eastenders and Casualty theme-tunes playing in our bedroom, I would say my wife has managed to bypass iPlayer's attempts to restrict access from outside the UK.

Or she's using someone from the UK who has a tv licenses log in? Ask her cos I'm genuinely interested how she's doing it?

23 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

She's probably listening to B*witched and S Club 7  but wants you to think she's normal. . . 

23 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

Or she's using someone from the UK who has a tv licenses log in? Ask her cos I'm genuinely interested how she's doing it?

It's just a VPN and when it asks if you have a licence the correct answer is 'yes'.  No other details needed.

Even if you have a licence and you're outside the uk you can't watch iPlayer without a VPN.

18 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

If she is watching the same Bewitched as I watched in the 1960/70s, I was so much in love with Samantha :whistle:.

Wow! Could she twiddle her nose or what!!!

What was her husbands name? What was wrong with him?   I'd have let her do her magic......Just imagine.................

2 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

When you say 'they block some VPN IP addresses' are you referring to, e.g. HOLA itself, or the address of the computer that is trying to see the site? 

The IP address(es) of the VPN itself (i.e. Hola or any other VPN provider). If the VPN is working effectively, it'll be hiding the IP address of your computer.

30 minutes ago, 42nite said:

Wow! Could she twiddle her nose or what!!!

What was her husbands name? What was wrong with him?   I'd have let her do her magic......Just imagine.................

29 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

She was my first girlfriend so there!

How disappointing. 

I understand I was probably quite naive at that time, but reading your comments she sounds as if she was a bit of a 'loose woman'.

11 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

Read other posts on another thread. When you do log on, having subscribed, you'll be taken to your account details! 

Scroll back up to the top and on the right hand side you'll see a 'back to bcfc.co.uk' box. Click on this. The site now knows you're a subscriber BUT you have to do everything again re selecting bctv.

Daft? Yes.

It works though. 

Well done Norn.

Signed up today for the new Audio and with very limited internet skill it's working.

Thanks to your post!!

Archived