IGNORED

When to accept your 5m striker is misfiring?

Fordy62

I've seen good things in him, that encourages me, but as I've only seen the home games I get that he's been disappointing away.  Looks like he's taking time to settle.  He might be doing lots of unseen work to create space for Reid etc.  Sometimes partnerships look a bit one-sided.  Turner didn't get many goals in comparison to Taylor, but you can bet yourself Taylor appreciated his big-partner.

4 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Now, let me start by saying that I hope this thread goes down in fokelore alongside "Matt Smith is awful". I suppose part of me decided to write it at half time because I'm hoping it might come back to bite me on the arse. 

However, I'm into watching my third or forth game this season and I've seen Fammy do nothing. Nothing at all. It's almost like we're playing with ten. 

Now I know it's going to take time for him to adapt to the Chamionship, but we can't just keep playing with essentially 10 men. Someone else has got to have a go at starting. He isn't effecting the game at all. He's not doing the running that Taylor does, or being a big lump like Đurić (I do accept they're both injured!). 

So he big question is... a storming second half versus Reading aside, when will LJ have the balls to rest him?

by the way, I'm certainly not writing him off, merely suggesting he's earned the right to be dropped. 

He looks a split second away......

Watch this space

He reminds me of Wayne Allison when he first arrived at city. Could see that he had a physical presence but at times looked gangly and akward. The Cheif grew in effectivenes over his time with us. At the start he was neither as prolific as Bob Taylor or as canny an operator as Nicky Morgan. These 2 moved on and were replaced by Rosenior, Cole and Jacki all of whom it could be argued were more technically gifted than big Wayne.....but he was still an important part of the squad....must have scared the shit out of opposing defenders. He went on to be a very effective operator at this level for many years (with us, swindle, tranmere, blades etc). Always looked ungainly but eventually very effective at what he did.

Hope Famara can be similar

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I guess people will always wonder whether it was good VFM when we could've got someone like Clayton Donaldson for a lot less. Already experienced and proven, similar skill set and scores goals.

Granted, about 10 years age difference.. but considering he broke our record he'll always come under scrutiny.

Apparently Clayton Donaldson scored his first goals today from open play since August 16.....that's 2016 :blink:

He works hard, but today he was not friend with the ball. The way we are playing at the moment dont think the way he was used to in Angers. He is strong can shoot and good with the head. Maybe Eliasson or the new WBA guy can make him Come in better positions. He was a good player in France and sure he is now. He is fw and offcause he has to score soon. Some of our scores he has had to do with this season. Really hope he find the net soon,

His record last season suggested as another poster put it, that we had signed another Wayne Allison rather than another Kodjia.

The good news is we appear more defensively resilient, no matter who plays at CB.

Results dictate we can afford to take our time bedding him in and can use Leko, Woodrow or Đurić when fit to take some of the load.

4 minutes ago, NorwichbasedWurzel said:

When LJ took him off we lost all our momentum and more importantly our shape.

It came good in the end but he does more than you might think

Wasn't there today but that also seemed the case against Villa when he came off. 

That said, Woodrow hasn't come here for the season for 5 minutes here and there and it may not be a bad idea to give Diedhiou a break. Wouldn't surprise me if that was on Tuesday.

5 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

Sadly it's become an all to familiar story with this manager. He has wasted so much money on players it's hard to believe. He has to be the most well supported manager financially in our history and he has done absolutely nothing to improve this squad.

He really is a poor forward. Even players who need time to bed in show some signs of making an impression...

I've seen nothing so far from this guy that says to me he will become a player worth £5

What a load of bollocks 

2 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Very disappointing display today. Couldn't trap a bag of sand and never even tried to make a run over the shoulder. Thought he'd be quicker but kept being left behind by the ancient Paul McShane.  Needs time obviously but for a man carrying such a massive price tag he needs to improve pronto. 

Ancient Paul McShane? You're not getting him confused with Paul Shane are you?  Paul McShane is 31.  Ted Bovis is god knows how old! :P

Seriously though, I thought McShane was one of those 'nothing' kind of CBs that was good as a kid, but let go by Man Utd as he didn't develop.  Not over tall at 6'0", not over quick, not nothing.  And then I saw him at the start of 15/16 season at AG.  God, he was good, positionally - tick, strong - tick, good in the air - tick.  I'd massively under estimated him.  I often use McShane and Liam Moore as a CB pairing comparison as neither are the pre-requisite tall, but are still good defenders.  Can't be bad to have got Reading to the PO Final last season.

IMG_1148.JPG

I've seen all the games bar Watford away and before today have bought into Famara at least offering some good link play and holding the ball up well, apart from at Brentford where the setup was hopeless and he got no service whatsoever. However, he really was poor today, ball seemed to be bouncing off him.

Perhaps if Eliasson played instead of COD or Pato, and we actually saw decent crosses coming in from wide it might suit Famara more.

Have to say Leko appeared to offer quality touch, pace and looked a real threat when he came on. For me it would be a no brainer to start Leko and drop Famara to the bench for the next game.

31 minutes ago, Redtucks said:

So he does it from time to time.........but you don't see it?????

:dunno:

I would hope he does it from time to time as a striker. If he never did it then he'd be completely written off. Basically my point was that people say he holds it up well and plays people in. So I've said that because he has done it but he doesn't do it well or often enough. He must've tried chesting the ball down 4-5 times and ball went 2-3 yards away losing possession. He's got lots of work to do

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think there are a few - and I stress a real minority - who actually quite enjoy the possibility of Diedhiou being a bad signing because it would be £5m worth of stick to beat LJ with.

where on earth did you get that idea from, every manager at one time makes a mistake with a signing, maybe more than one, overall we seem to be going in the right direction, to say we take delight in his signing of diedhiou failing is blatantly wrong at least in my case it is, and I am one of famaras biggest critics. You cant twist every criticism of things as bashing the manager. 

Very much early days yet at the games I've seen I'm unsure what he is as a centre forward. Not great in the air, not your hold up the ball sort of centre forward, doesn't run in behind, not a fox in the box - unsure of his moulds at the mo. Hopefully comes good, but at the mo a little bit lost as to why we've spent 5m on the chap. 

Archived