IGNORED

When to accept your 5m striker is misfiring?

Fordy62

He was superb today. He came on against a defence that had been run ragged for 65 mins and to then be up against his strength and power must of been a nightmare. Great confidence boost for the lad. Great sub by LJ and the finish was top drawer. 

16 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

He was superb today. He came on against a defence that had been run ragged for 65 mins and to then be up against his strength and power must of been a nightmare. Great confidence boost for the lad. Great sub by LJ and the finish was top drawer. 

Aside from his very first involvement, which was a very heavy first touch followed by an awful hospital pass, he was really excellent, providing an assist for Paterson's free kick and then scoring a superb goal.

As an aside I liked Woodrow's contribution, too, he did a lot of hard running, held the ball up very well and scored a good goal. He looked a very useful alternative to our clear first choice front pairing of Diedhiou and Reid..

23 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Definitely the best we have seen from him. He won several balls in the air and laid them off neatly on almost every occasion.

What I really liked was yhe way he was celebrating on the bench when Woodrow scored.

45 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Definitely the best we have seen from him. He won several balls in the air and laid them off neatly on almost every occasion.

What I really liked was yhe way he was celebrating on the bench when Woodrow scored.

• Admin

To be fair, if we were introducing a youngster into Championship football, we'd start off with sub appearances, we wouldn't want to just chuck them in at the deep end ideally. Why should we treat Fam any differently just because he cost a huge fee? 

I'd be happy for him to be a second half sub for the next few games where his physicality should outweigh his deficiencies whilst he gets used to our league.

47 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Aside from his very first involvement, which was a very heavy first touch followed by an awful hospital pass, he was really excellent, providing an assist for Paterson's free kick and then scoring a superb goal.

As an aside I liked Woodrow's contribution, too, he did a lot of hard running, held the ball up very well and scored a good goal. He looked a very useful alternative to our clear first choice front pairing of Diedhiou and Reid..

I completely agree. I thought he had a terrific game and really deserved his goal. If that flicked back heel had gone in we`d be thinking we`d signed a gem.

20 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

Very true. Everyone wants the guy to do well. Today he's been benched. Not surprised. Interesting to see how Woodrow performs 

Benched?  Rotated with the fact that Woodrow can't play Tuesday. 

19 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

After scoring on Tuesday ! 

Indeed. Good call from LJ. Players chomping at the bit to play well in the hope of getting more minutes or establishing themselves as first choice. Players needing a bit of a recharge. 

Somehow he seemed slimmer when he first came on.  Can't believe he's lost a few pounds in a few weeks since I've seen him play?!?

And, he definitely got better after his goal.  That is, his confidence was much improved and defenders bounced off him.

I expect he will start against Stoke.

5 minutes ago, Chivs said:

Somehow he seemed slimmer when he first came on.  Can't believe he's lost a few pounds in a few weeks since I've seen him play?!?

And, he definitely got better after his goal.  That is, his confidence was much improved and defenders bounced off him.

I expect he will start against Stoke.

I hope he does. He looked full of energy, lively, a definite improvement on a few weeks ago. First touch could use a bit of work still, but he ran their defence ragged. He really impressed me yesterday, I hope he continues in the vein.

I said when he signed and not changed my opinions - think he will score some eye catching / spectacular type of goals rather than be a regular / poacher type of scorer , but get us the odd goal from nothing

A good compliment to Bobby in many ways

Still think the best is yet to come and despite some of his product to date, when settled and up to the pace and physicality of the Championship ,  I still have a strong suspicion he's going to be exciting and a big hit 

I would imagine that the pace and physicality of the championship are completely different than what he experienced in French football.

Accordingly, you would expect him take a little time to adjust and find his feet. If the last couple of months have been his period of adjustment, during which time he has contributed to a very good start to the season by the team, then I am not unhappy with his progress.

Others have commented that he seemed to get more confident after scoring the pen at Wolves, and hopefully yesterdays scoring cameo will give him a further boost. Strikers thrive on confidence - see Bobby Reid for proof - so lets hope a confident Fammy and Bobby ill go on to cause problems for opposition defences throughout the season.

15 hours ago, GrahamC said:

And we've still got Đurić to come back. 

Genuine options! 

I think you have to put to one side his price tag. Strikers are the most overvalued players in a ridiculously overvalued marketplace.

When he came on yesterday, he held up the ball and released it for Bobby, worried their defence and made good runs - dragging men with him to give space to our attacking midfielders. His first touch is, frankly, poor, but his goal against Carson and the penalty he took, show he has a cool head when he can see the net. 

I think he's an asset to the team, particularly in the absence of Đurić, who fulfills a similar role.

i'll leave debating over whether we should have paid £5.2m for him, to hindsight.

3 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I think you have to put to one side his price tag. Strikers are the most overvalued players in a ridiculously overvalued marketplace.

When he came on yesterday, he held up the ball and released it for Bobby, worried their defence and made good runs - dragging men with him to give space to our attacking midfielders. His first touch is, frankly, poor, but his goal against Carson and the penalty he took, show he has a cool head when he can see the net. 

I think he's an asset to the team, particularly in the absence of Đurić, who fulfills a similar role.

i'll leave debating over whether we should have paid £5.2m for him, to hindsight.

I'm probably the only one but he reminds me of Harry Kane. Not exactly like him but similar size and strength. Think his goals come in similar fashion. Not one to create loads of space but when he does have space will find the side netting often. Watching him after the goal, his touches got a bit better. A few more goals behind him I think he'll really start feeling up for it. Don't think we utilise him the way he'd prefer but was really useful yesterday. Hope he keeps it up 

12 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I'm probably the only one but he reminds me of Harry Kane. Not exactly like him but similar size and strength. Think his goals come in similar fashion. Not one to create loads of space but when he does have space will find the side netting often. Watching him after the goal, his touches got a bit better. A few more goals behind him I think he'll really start feeling up for it. Don't think we utilise him the way he'd prefer but was really useful yesterday. Hope he keeps it up 

Indeed. He's always tired a bit over 90 minutes, so bringing him on as a super sub was just what the doctor ordered. It kept Derby on their toes at a time when they'd started to push up.

Between Reid, Taylor, Fam, Woodrow and Đurić we have a nice range of strikers to test opposition defences with, and across the course of the season I think all of them will have their part to play.

Be interesting to see what happens Tuesday, as would imagine we might see Taylor and Fammy up top to start; could be quite an industrious combo.

48 minutes ago, samo II said:

Between Reid, Taylor, Fam, Woodrow and Đurić we have a nice range of strikers to test opposition defences with, and across the course of the season I think all of them will have their part to play.

Be interesting to see what happens Tuesday, as would imagine we might see Taylor and Fammy up top to start; could be quite an industrious combo.

... and not one of them a proven championship goalscorer.

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

.....and ironically we are the leagues top scorers after 8 games!!!

I commented last season about Tomlin, that the best team is not necessarily made up of the best players.

This season, without arguably the most talented player we've had for a few seasons, we look a far better team.

Individually our strikers might not be on paper the best in the division, but as part of the team LJ has put together, and the way we are now playing, they all work well.

5 minutes ago, downendcity said:

... and not one of them a proven championship goalscorer.

Yes, people were demanding we signed one as if there are loads around or one of the few there actually are would sign for us.

The answer to replacing Tammy was always a combination of conceding fewer goals and more players contributing to us scoring.

Though by the end of the season Bobby could be a proven Championship goalscorer in his own right.

Archived