IGNORED

Joe Bryan

BCFC Grim

1 hour ago, BCFC Grim said:

I was one of his biggest critics last season, but he has been fantastic so far. Defensively improved massively ( Macca effect? ) and his composure on the ball is night and day compared to last season.

Keep up the good work Joe.

I would agree totally with that. His vast improvement coincided with Jamie`s arrival so the two must be connected.

1 hour ago, CiderHider said:

I've been trying to find an old article on Joe from a couple of years back, pretty sure it was the BBC talking about him with the then gaffer ...was it SOD or DMC?  i just dont know, but saying he was the hardest/toughest player he has known.

I remember that. Think it was Cotts who said it.

Wasn't there today, but he is becoming one of our most important players.  Throughout some of his bad performances it's usually been about him being poor with the ball, and usually in the final third.  I can't really remember a game where he's been a liability defensively.

1 hour ago, CiderHider said:

I've been trying to find an old article on Joe from a couple of years back, pretty sure it was the BBC talking about him with the then gaffer ...was it SOD or DMC?  i just dont know, but saying he was the hardest/toughest player he has known.

It was SC, said he was the bravest player he had ever worked with I think. COYR

2 hours ago, BCFC Grim said:

I was one of his biggest critics last season, but he has been fantastic so far. Defensively improved massively ( Macca effect? ) and his composure on the ball is night and day compared to last season.

Totally agree. I was worried about him last season, switching off  and lack of concentration which resulted in his poor positional play. Whatever LJ , Jamie Mac has taught him during the pre season has stuck. I wasn't there today but have seen most games this season and he seams a very different player. We'll struggle to keep hold of him next summer but at least we have Lloyd Kelly behind him. The lad looks quality. Hope he gets in the squad soon as his co commentary was worse than terrible :laughcont:

2 hours ago, CiderHider said:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/31927967

This one? 

2 hours ago, BCFC Grim said:

Makes you wonder what was the gig with him last season-often wearing lead wellies..looking fitter for one thing.

He's joined the tattoo gang and this has been the making of him!

Seriously he looked in a lot of pain today when he pulled up and fluffed the cross, but got up and finished the match. Would worry about him for Tuesday and against Wolves will be a big miss but you can't give them an inch so no unfit players can start. Get in the ice bath Joe and rest up.

15 hours ago, BCFC Grim said:

12 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Totally agree. I was worried about him last season, switching off  and lack of concentration which resulted in his poor positional play. Whatever LJ , Jamie Mac has taught him during the pre season has stuck. I wasn't there today but have seen most games this season and he seams a very different player. We'll struggle to keep hold of him next summer but at least we have Lloyd Kelly behind him. The lad looks quality. Hope he gets in the squad soon as his co commentary was worse than terrible :laughcont:

Interesting chatting to JMc the other evening about Joe Bryan - Asked him if he had been working with JB and whether some noticeable aspects and Joes form were down to / partly down to him (JMc) 

He said he does work with Joe but humbly played down what part he may have played in any improvement

He clearly highly rates Joe and mentioned one interesting point (As an example) that I'd never really considered

Said that because Joe is so quick and his pace / sprint / acceleration can get him out of trouble , his positioning could sometimes be less than perfect , because , if I understood him correctly , (And I won't try and quote JMc with any confidence of accuracy) Joe has never had to think about it so much or be concerned as his pace has always been there to (normally) get him out of any trouble or problem

Thought it was a simple but interesting observation - as for me Joe has all the assets you need to be a top top full back but as we'd all agree can be frustrating on occasions with his positioning often having been raised as an issue on occasions.

He explained he had been talking to / working with Joe about his positioning , trying , for example to get Joe to be in a position where he threatens (Positionally not physically !!! ) his wide man to deter the ball being passed to him in the first place

Was also chatting 'characters' with him , and those who can cope physically and put their 'foot in' etc where necessary and he highlighted Joe as being one of those tough with a definite edge when he needed to

Personally , despite playing it down , I have no doubt that JMc has been good for Joe 

Tbf JMc is probably not the only one of the coaches to have done so and Joe has the intelligence and apparent desire to keep on improving

As @ZiderEyed said - I think he will go onto play at a higher level , probably without us unfortunately , but I hope we can appreciate what he does a little longer yet 

Archived