IGNORED

Mixed bag of performances, but our energy was decisive.

Olé

3 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

The 4 for Diedhiou is harsh for me. After all, he is not a member of the England midfield. This point in the season I am more frustrated by him than disappointed. There are times in a game where he wins the ball, spins and shields it well before laying off. In those moments I think he has something about him. But there are oft times too when you wonder if he reads the game at all, allowing defenders to get in front of him too easily. I would have given him a 5 today. 

Really? Wow. I reckon he must have touched he ball about 6 times all game. If you score FD a 5, then you need to score Bobby a 15. 

13 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

I think it's important to not underestimate how important that 'tackle' was from Baker. The sort of thing we've been missing for years... a nasty streak. 

I did worry after , when we had him on loan he was a red card waiting to happen. Seems more mature now , maybe the full time job here has changed his attitude a little. 
There were covering defenders so I don't know what Stamm was on about saying it was a red , important yellow for the team though.

13 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

The 4 for Diedhiou is harsh for me. After all, he is not a member of the England midfield. This point in the season I am more frustrated by him than disappointed. There are times in a game where he wins the ball, spins and shields it well before laying off. In those moments I think he has something about him. But there are oft times too when you wonder if he reads the game at all, allowing defenders to get in front of him too easily. I would have given him a 5 today. 

I agree it's more frustration than disappointment and the price tag doesn't help, but we were discussing how he was struggling early in the game so were watching him closely and it became almost ironic how poor most of his key attributes were. Perhaps we had 'confirmation bias' but as well as looking lead legged most of the time and a little lost, there were plenty of times a guy of his size put up no real challenge to a defender, and if he did win the ball had ridiculously heavy first touch to deal with.

I remember watching Garita for Plymouth against Liverpool last season and thinking what a limited player we have on our books - physical but clumsy - but recognising that they at least seem to like him and he can bundle into defenders and hold the ball up. I'm not even sure Diedhiou can do that. Strength and speed are not attributes he's producing despite that looking like his "DNA", so I'm not sure what we're supposed to expect. It's bizarre that Kodjia came from a division below this guy.

I know the 'win the ball, spins and lays off' you refer to, and you're right, but it's his only contribution and often the spin is a product of a poor touch - at one point I think he had to get across 8 or 9 yards to retain the ball from his first touch. Anyone who can win and lay off the ball is an asset so I'm not knocking it, but someone on Twitter called it the Senegalese Steve Torpey and there's something in that. It's telling how once he's laid it off he's often a non-entity in the attack itself, we play round him.

He doesn't seem up to the pace. There was a point in the first half where he was in space with us pushing up, but did not read the situation quickly and his first touch was robbed cheaply for a player of his size, allowing them to break at speed. To his credit he tried to chase the length of the pitch after them, but for the following 10 minutes it left him virtually at walking pace. Best cross of the second half he wasn't sharp and crumpled to the floor as he tried to lean into a header from behind their last man.

So strength is poor, reading is poor, reactions are poor, and he can't deal with the pace of the game. Those are not the properties of a £5m player. To be clear, I'm only relating why I rated him a 4 here, I'm not writing him off altogether and hope desperately that he is simply low on confidence and struggling with the move to a new country, but the concern is that it's not simply his morale, it's the limited attributes on show that I would guess that we had all expected from a player of his physique. 

I would kill to have a Wilbraham back with us because I think if there is a player there in Diedhiou now, it's someone who needs to learn precisely from a 37 year old how to be a nuisance and get in positions to finish, in spite of a lack of acceleration. I am not seeing a player who is going to run the channels or do anything like what Bobby Reid is doing. His best chance is developing his physique to hold off defenders for shooting/heading opportunities. The Senegalese Steve Brooker rather than Torpey.

11 minutes ago, Olé said:

I agree it's more frustration than disappointment and the price tag doesn't help, but we were discussing how he was struggling early in the game so were watching him closely and it became almost ironic how poor most of his key attributes were. Perhaps we had 'confirmation bias' but as well as looking lead legged most of the time and a little lost, there were plenty of times a guy of his size put up no real challenge to a defender, and if he did win the ball had ridiculously heavy first touch to deal with.

I remember watching Garita for Plymouth against Liverpool last season and thinking what a limited player we have on our books - physical but clumsy - but recognising that they at least seem to like him and he can bundle into defenders and hold the ball up. I'm not even sure Diedhiou can do that. Strength and speed are not attributes he's producing despite that looking like his "DNA", so I'm not sure what we're supposed to expect. It's bizarre that Kodjia came from a division below this guy.

I know the 'win the ball, spins and lays off' you refer to, and you're right, but it's his only contribution and often the spin is a product of a poor touch - at one point I think he had to get across 8 or 9 yards to retain the ball from his first touch. Anyone who can win and lay off the ball is an asset so I'm not knocking it, but someone on Twitter called it the Senegalese Steve Torpey and there's something in that. It's telling how once he's laid it off he's often a non-entity in the attack itself, we play round him.

He doesn't seem up to the pace. There was a point in the first half where he was in space with us pushing up, but did not read the situation quickly and his first touch was robbed cheaply for a player of his size, allowing them to break at speed. To his credit he tried to chase the length of the pitch after them, but for the following 10 minutes it left him virtually at walking pace. Best cross of the second half he wasn't sharp and crumpled to the floor as he tried to lean into a header from behind their last man.

So strength is poor, reading is poor, reactions are poor, and he can't deal with the pace of the game. Those are not the properties of a £5m player. To be clear, I'm only relating why I rated him a 4 here, I'm not writing him off altogether and hope desperately that he is simply low on confidence and struggling with the move to a new country, but the concern is that it's not simply his morale, it's the limited attributes on show that I would guess that we had all expected from a player of his physique. 

I would kill to have a Wilbraham back with us because I think if there is a player there in Diedhiou now, it's someone who needs to learn precisely from a 37 year old how to be a nuisance and get in positions to finish, in spite of a lack of acceleration. I am not seeing a player who is going to run the channels or do anything like what Bobby Reid is doing. His best chance is developing his physique to hold off defenders for shooting/heading opportunities. The Senegalese Steve Brooker rather than Torpey.

Amazing. Also agree on the Wilbraham thing, looks like he'd be the perfect mentor for him.

17 hours ago, Ian M said:

A Reading fan was having a phone conversation behind me on the way back to my car and it was pleasing to hear him describe us as a really good side who didn't let them get their game going. :) 

not so complimentary on their fan site, hob nobs, called us crap sour grapes methinks. 

16 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

a 5 wow he will be pleased, so much better than a 4.

• Admin
15 minutes ago, pillred said:

not so complimentary on their fan site, hob nobs, called us crap sour grapes methinks. 

As usual with forums it will depend who you read. From the same forum I read the following:

"First a note on Bristol. I thought tactically they were excellent. They played the high press v. well and totally disrupted our game. If they could pass or shoot we'd have been in danger of a drubbing due to the many stupid mistakes we made."

"Bristol did well tactically,"

"Pretty much the perfect away performance from Brizzle today. Harried and harassed us all game long and put pressure on us high up the pitch"

"Overall we didn't play at all badly but agree Bristol were well organised even if their attack looked less threatening than ours"

"Brizzle (were) getting in our faces and completely disrupting our game"

As you say a few also said we were crap but we didn't play them off the park, we went away defended well and despite Reading having 20% more possession than us and double our shots, we sneaked a late goal in a stereotypical good away performance. I'm not surprised our reviews are mixed on their site.

Second half was a super away performance. You're right, Reading had chances, but they're the home team and you have to expect that. 

In terms of Frankie Fielding, he's in the form of his life! Another top class performance. Even the save in first half where he was diving low but managed to keep hold of ball were impressive. I see a lot said about his kicking; there's no doubt he's not the best distributor in football, however, I think he's massively improved. He hits the wide ball well and looks more comfortable with ball at his feet. Yesterday wasn't a bad kicking performance, he tried to play one early which went straight through to their keeper, but apart from that it was solid enough!

Plenty of encouraging signs overall.

Up the City x

Archived