IGNORED

Eliasson

Kingswoodactor

Heard from the midweek Q&A session that the management team really rate this guy. Surely it can't be long before he's our go to left winger?

Really looking forward to seeing what he can do, as COD isn't quite up to it at this level for me.

Also Eliasson looks like he can whip a corner in with pace, something we desperately need instead of Pato's dreadful floaty style which makes it so much harder to attack. 

For those there at Reading, should COD have come off earlier or was it literally horses for courses today against one of the stronger Championship sides? 

Said it in another thread, would've been a terrible decision to play Eliasson in front of Vyner. The club do rate NE but have said numerous times they want him well drilled in what he needs to do off the ball defending. With the experienced Pisano I think NE will play more but today it was the right call. Callum didn't have a bad game and I'm not quite sure why he's getting picked on today. He's a big reason why we didn't concede today. His end product only gets better with game time. We can afford to play him because we know he won't make mistakes tracking back. I'm all for him playing and he's definitely up to this division.

Go read the Reading forum about Barrow. Disappointed with his defensive work. He also didn't pick out any passes or get any good shots off. He cost 3 times as much as O'Dowda and I'm sure more in wages. Eliasson will play his part but perhaps there will be easier games to give him a bigger role in. 

7 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Said it in another thread, would've been a terrible decision to play Eliasson in front of Vyner. The club do rate NE but have said numerous times they want him well drilled in what he needs to do off the ball defending. With the experienced Pisano I think NE will play more but today it was the right call. Callum didn't have a bad game and I'm not quite sure why he's getting picked on today. He's a big reason why we didn't concede today. His end product only gets better with game time. We can afford to play him because we know he won't make mistakes tracking back. I'm all for him playing and he's definitely up to this division.

Go read the Reading forum about Barrow. Disappointed with his defensive work. He also didn't pick out any passes or get any good shots off. He cost 3 times as much as O'Dowda and I'm sure more in wages. Eliasson will play his part but perhaps there will be easier games to give him a bigger role in. 

Thought Eliasson is predominantly a left winger though, so would be backed up by Bryan.

Get what you're saying, but you don't see many clubs spend a few million on a player at this level, only for the manager to then publicly state that they have things to work on, faults to their game, before they've even been given a proper run out in the league?! 

4 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Thought Eliasson is predominantly a left winger though, so would be backed up by Bryan.

Get what you're saying, but you don't see many clubs spend a few million on a player at this level, only for the manager to then publicly state that they have things to work on, faults to their game, before they've even been given a proper run out in the league?! 

Paterson has been playing well and been productive (another assist yesterday). You probably wouldn't play O'Dowda AND Eliasson in a game like yesterday's. 

He's not publically stating his faults as such, just discussing the player at a QnA. Some fans would be wondering why a ~£2m player isn't playing, LJ is explaining why. 

He was actually incredibly positive and excited by Eliasson at the QnA, but he's one that has to be broken in gradually to be as effective as possible.

8 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Don't really see why this is being perceived as an issue. Would appear to me to be entirely consistent with our stated policy of signing young, promising talent and improving it. I don't recall anyone saying the lad was 100% Championship ready. 

17 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Think he can play from either side but a lot of clips / footage of him in Sweden shows him operating on right which I suspect may be where Lee uses him - he's mentioned his goal threat / finishing a few times and NE will always be a bigger goal threat operating off the right

In fairness to LJ he has thrown him in and as he highlighted the other evening , his qualities and quick feet got us a goal at Watford but has also cost us two goals with his positional / defensive 'naivety'

He explained that in a brutal Championship that's a real dilemma atm pluses v minuses

I think , understandably , he wants new recruits to know / understand our system and their role in the team , as the team and system is , IMHO the major component in his ethos / way of playing and IMHO our performances and success or otherwise is reliant on each player performing their role within that ethos / system 

Just one simple example is that we press high and with a high press, if one player , one cog , doesn't understand or partake correctly the press fails and can leave us exposed 

LJ is clearly excited about the potential of NE and will unleash him as soon as he and the coaching staff think he's ready for Championship 

Think we may get a full chance to see him against Stoke ;)

9 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

You might want to read the Q&A thread. As LJ pointed out, if he already had all the required attributes we would not have got him. The point is to build on what is already there.

And in the current market the money really isn't big, especially spread over the length of the contract. Compare and contrast what Reading paid for their wingers.

15 hours ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Heard from the midweek Q&A session that the management team really rate this guy. Surely it can't be long before he's our go to left winger?

Really looking forward to seeing what he can do, as COD isn't quite up to it at this level for me.

Also Eliasson looks like he can whip a corner in with pace, something we desperately need instead of Pato's dreadful floaty style which makes it so much harder to attack. 

For those there at Reading, should COD have come off earlier or was it literally horses for courses today against one of the stronger Championship sides? 

Totally agree,for me COD is not good enough at this level,can't see how he is an international,gives the ball away far too often,is very inconsistent and doesn't contribute enough in creating chances,I am concerned that LJ really does rate him highly and that could hinder the chances of Eliasson who at the moment seems like is getting the Engval treatment and not getting any game time.

3 minutes ago, 6hobbsy66 said:

Totally agree,for me COD is not good enough at this level,can't see how he is an international,gives the ball away far too often,is very inconsistent and doesn't contribute enough in creating chances,I am concerned that LJ really does rate him highly and that could hinder the chances of Eliasson who at the moment seems like is getting the Engval treatment and not getting any game time.

He's been with us for under a month having never played in the country at all, it's obvious that defensively he is poor and he has to work on that before he can get into the team but still people have a go at LJ for not playing him....

8 minutes ago, 6hobbsy66 said:

Because he is one of the best in his position for his country.

Being an international player doesnt mean your good it just means your one of the best in your country.

Rógvi Jacobsen is the all time top scorer for his country but played most of his carear at semi pro level and failed to secure a pro contract at Carlisle!

19 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

He's been with us for under a month having never played in the country at all, it's obvious that defensively he is poor and he has to work on that before he can get into the team but still people have a go at LJ for not playing him....

I think the issue is if he cant be trusted to play, like several others, why was he signed in the first place. We might not have got him if he was the finished article, but for the cost of him engvall and taylor moore, we might have gotten the finished article who might have some positive impact on our season instead of filling the bench/ playing for other teams.

3 minutes ago, simon uk said:

I think the issue is if he cant be trusted to play, like several others, why was he signed in the first place. We might not have got him if he was the finished article, but for the cost of him engvall and taylor moore, we might have gotten the finished article who might have some positive impact on our season instead of filling the bench/ playing for other teams.

For 5.1 mill you could definitely get somebody who is the finished article I agree, but I'm happy with the club buying in young players for not much (1.3 mill on engvall isn't a big risk in todays market) and then seeing how they develop. If Elliasson turns into the player that LJ says he could be we may have a real gem on our hands, but if he doesn't we will get the 2 million back no issues.

6 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

For 5.1 mill you could definitely get somebody who is the finished article I agree, but I'm happy with the club buying in young players for not much (1.3 mill on engvall isn't a big risk in todays market) and then seeing how they develop. If Elliasson turns into the player that LJ says he could be we may have a real gem on our hands, but if he doesn't we will get the 2 million back no issues.

Whatever the fee was for engvall, i would say we would struggle to get half of that back at the moment as there is only limited money in the swedish league for transfers. If elliason doesnt settle here then its quite feasible that something similar could happen with his transfer value too. Hope im wrong obviously, elliason looked really promissing at watford.

3 minutes ago, simon uk said:

See my post #9. The position seems clear enough and has been explained by LJ. 

The reason we can rarely compete for the finished article was explained by MA, wages being a key part.

See Bob's superb posts in the Q&A thread for the detail.

The idea that we can go out and sign complete players is wishful thinking.

8 minutes ago, chinapig said:

See my post #9. The position seems clear enough and has been explained by LJ. 

The reason we can rarely compete for the finished article was explained by MA, wages being a key part.

See Bob's superb posts in the Q&A thread for the detail.

The idea that we can go out and sign complete players is wishful thinking.

Different ponds!!

Archived