IGNORED

"Training ground moves"

Olé

The Weasel at Crystal Palace obviously has legendary status among City fans, and it looks like Johnson junior likes to try a few things too, presumably as a feature of having more time to prepare during the international break. Yesterday at our first corner Flint and Baker stayed on the halfway line as our covering defenders and Korey and Bryan went into the box. As faintly ridiculous as it looked, it was pretty obvious what would happen, and sure enough just as we took it, they all ran in opposite directions to swap positions. 

For large parts of the game, Flint went out to the right wing for goal kicks, trying to win the first ball out on the touchline beyond the halfway line. The initial reaction was it was some contingency to try and keep Fielding's routinely wayward kicks in play, but I'm starting to think that perhaps Fielding can't really be THAT bad at kicking that all his kicks are flying out for throw ins, and perhaps we're asking him to put them out there for some innovation - perhaps shifting the odds from 50-50 in open play to win it or sacrifice a throw in?

I actually like the logic on that second one, but as the first time I've seen Flint out there, I do wonder about the novelty. The question is, do 'trick plays' (as they call them in NFL) have any merit or are they just a bit of fun? The Weasel was a master-stroke, but I'm always in two minds that if these things were really effective, everyone would be doing them.

The second one actually makes good sense when you think of how we play. Put the ball out, they throw in, most likely backwards to start a process and then we engage our high press and try and nick the ball. Reading really ran out of ideas at the back yesterday, resulting in long balls which flint and baker dealt with comfortably. Perhaps our coaching team feel this gives us more chance of imposing our game on the opposition?

as for whether or not these innovative routines work, they can do, but other managers will become wise to it very quickly at this level, so you have to continue to be innovative to stay ahead.

2 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

When I have played football games on a console I always get my keepers to throw it out or do short kicks, this way 99% if the time I retain possession. If you lump it up field you only have a 50% chance of getting it. Why don't teams do this in real life? Is it because if the risk of losing possession in a risky area?

Yep, also the AI in FIFA aren't nearly as intuitive as real life players who'd find ways to disrupt this.

6 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

When I have played football games on a console I always get my keepers to throw it out or do short kicks, this way 99% if the time I retain possession. If you lump it up field you only have a 50% chance of getting it. Why don't teams do this in real life? Is it because if the risk of losing possession in a risky area?

I think we would prefer to play this way, so would Reading. Hence why every time there was a goal kick yesterday for either team the defenders were all man marked.

I'm all for trying new free kick routines , they can work but they have to be the option rather than the rule. Same with corners.
The goal kick thing I really don't like, having one of your CB's so far out of position is wrong. We got away with it but on two or three occasions they were breaking on us with Flint trying desperately racing to get back in position. A goal kick can be 50/50 who gets possession , I guess the idea is if we do lose the ball it is deep in their half. With teams pressing high short goal kicks are rarely  an option so I get trying something new, but this seems a high risk option.

3 hours ago, Olé said:

The Weasel at Crystal Palace obviously has legendary status among City fans, and it looks like Johnson junior likes to try a few things too, presumably as a feature of having more time to prepare during the international break. Yesterday at our first corner Flint and Baker stayed on the halfway line as our covering defenders and Korey and Bryan went into the box. As faintly ridiculous as it looked, it was pretty obvious what would happen, and sure enough just as we took it, they all ran in opposite directions to swap positions. 

For large parts of the game, Flint went out to the right wing for goal kicks, trying to win the first ball out on the touchline beyond the halfway line. The initial reaction was it was some contingency to try and keep Fielding's routinely wayward kicks in play, but I'm starting to think that perhaps Fielding can't really be THAT bad at kicking that all his kicks are flying out for throw ins, and perhaps we're asking him to put them out there for some innovation - perhaps shifting the odds from 50-50 in open play to win it or sacrifice a throw in?

I actually like the logic on that second one, but as the first time I've seen Flint out there, I do wonder about the novelty. The question is, do 'trick plays' (as they call them in NFL) have any merit or are they just a bit of fun? The Weasel was a master-stroke, but I'm always in two minds that if these things were really effective, everyone would be doing them.

Has it really took you this long to realise the goalkicks to out wide are part of a plan? 

This is the reason you think Fieldings kicking is poor? Jesus.

You see a lot of teams do this now. The reason? It stops the often seen "big header from the opposing CB's, going over our CB's head and have them facing our own goal with ball bouncing".

The wide kick is often targeted at Bryan, because he's the best leaper in our team. 

Putting Flint out there was a new one, and for large parts worked. The only problem is if the ball does find its self falling into the middle of the park, Flint is out of position. But Bryan had tucked in and was covering.

4 minutes ago, ForeverRes said:

Has it really took you this long to realise the goalkicks to out wide are part of a plan? 

This is the reason you think Fieldings kicking is poor? Jesus.

You see a lot of teams do this now. The reason? It stops the often seen "big header from the opposing CB's, going over our CB's head and have them facing our own goal with ball bouncing".

The wide kick is often targeted at Bryan, because he's the best leaper in our team. 

@Olé you're tactical prowess has been rumbled! :P

I've been saying the same about FF's kicking since 14/15 when Bryan emerged at the starter at LWB.  FF is rally decent on the deck in general play, compared to the vast majority of keepers at this level, but people see the dead balls going out of play and blame him.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@Olé you're tactical prowess has been rumbled! :P

I've been saying the same about FF's kicking since 14/15 when Bryan emerged at the starter at LWB.  FF is rally decent on the deck in general play, compared to the vast majority of keepers at this level, but people see the dead balls going out of play and blame him.

Haha not meaning to rumble anyone ( @Olé

But it's a pretty obvious tactic. It's not the fact Frankie can't kick the ball straight. 

Ive just posted in another thread about how so many people criticise Frankies kicking. I think it's generally solid. He's also improved massively with ball at his feet and his short game.

I prefer to see the kick to out wide with the odd one going out for throwing, rather than a massive lump through the middle in the hope it falls to us. 

I'm a goalkeeper myself, so maybe I've just picked up on this quicker than others. 

Goalkeeping isn't my strong point. :whistle: TBF with respect to Fielding, I know we don't ever kick the ball down the middle, but at least somewhere towards the wing we have a chance of competing for it, I can't remember before this season us putting it straight out so many times - Brentford away a case in point. Unless I'm going mad we are putting the ball into positions this season which quite often aren't winnable by anyone, which I'd seen as a symptom of either not getting the ball far enough up the wing to whoever was meant to compete for it, or still carrying so much height at the touchline to be hard to reach - resulting in this new Flint role?

4 minutes ago, Olé said:

Goalkeeping isn't my strong point. :whistle: TBF with respect to Fielding, I know we don't ever kick the ball down the middle, but at least somewhere towards the wing we have a chance of competing for it, I can't remember before this season us putting it straight out so many times - Brentford away a case in point. Unless I'm going mad we are putting the ball into positions this season which quite often aren't winnable by anyone, which I'd seen as a symptom of either not getting the ball far enough up the wing to whoever was meant to compete for it, or still carrying so much height at the touchline to be hard to reach - resulting in this new Flint role?

FF has put 10-15 yards on his kicking since the start of 16/17 season.  Not sure how he has done this, but perhaps he needs to adjust his aim.  He used to only just about get it to the halfway line from GKs previously.

5 hours ago, Olé said:

Did anyone actually thing that Frankie was just kicking the ball out?  As you say its a plan to either keep the ball or it goes out for a throw and thus not being instantly on the back foot 

34 minutes ago, streety_bcfc said:

Did anyone actually thing that Frankie was just kicking the ball out?  As you say its a plan to either keep the ball or it goes out for a throw and thus not being instantly on the back foot 

Its a case of not being out of balance and shape. A team is more likely to concede a goal from their own possession being turned over in the first few seconds (out of defensive shape) than the opposition having the ball for ten seconds (more than enough time to get into shape). Losing it down the sides. ball going out on the full is less dangerous than losing it centrally ... Yes the back foot.

Playing to the sides with players splitting will also shift the opposition not allowing  a side to play through the thirds, if they move enough the team can then go back to feet short outside the box, if they do not go to the sides from goal kicks and mix it up.

Archived