IGNORED

Red shorts

brizzlelou

6 minutes ago, brizzlelou said:

Sorry to drag IT back up again but I really do prefer this new kit with red shorts. I hated the entire kit to start with but I did warm to it quickly (few good results probably helped). Just really prefer it in all red. Just wanted to gauge other people's thoughts now we've seen the mixtures.

We're Bristol City . We're RED AND WHITE . End of 

13 minutes ago, Bullbag said:

We are not Liverpool.

12 minutes ago, kevinmabbuttshair said:

Liverpool play in all red not Bristol city.

Never really got this argument. Could just as easily say, Nottingham Forest play in red shirts, white shorts and red socks so therefore we can't.

We've played in various combinations of red, white and black over the years - no one combination is more 'Bristol City' than any other.

I think this is about historical context. When  I started watching City (1968) we played in all red, so I'm OK with it.

I may be wrong but I think the "one colour" fashion only started in the 1960s and that Liverpool and Chelsea played in white shorts before that. Certainly Revie put Leeds in all white (copying Real Madrid) about then.

So all the "we are red and white, Liverpool are all red" stuff is a bit inaccurate and based on what younger people are used to.

Ready to be corrected, as I'm too lazy to check!

When you are as old as I am even blue is City's colour. The colour we wore in our greatest game ever (to date) FA Cup Final.  True Man U were in red that day.  Perhaps we would have won if we had played in red. Remember those blue shirts well!!! Well, at least I think I do !!!

3 hours ago, Leveller said:

I think this is about historical context. When  I started watching City (1968) we played in all red, so I'm OK with it.

I may be wrong but I think the "one colour" fashion only started in the 1960s and that Liverpool and Chelsea played in white shorts before that. Certainly Revie put Leeds in all white (copying Real Madrid) about then.

So all the "we are red and white, Liverpool are all red" stuff is a bit inaccurate and based on what younger people are used to.

1 hour ago, East End Old Boy said:

I'm sure the team, currently from Whorefield, played in all blue during that decade.

Yes, judging from the excellent historical football kits website (link below) a number of clubs including City, the fewers, Charlton, Coventry, Middlesbrough and even Wolves adopted one colour kits in the 1960s that were much plainer than the big collars, large badges and hooped socks that characterised kits in the 1950s. Sheffield Wednesday's current kit is based on the 1960s version when they briefly abandoned stripes for a plainer look.

Leveller - I remember my dad mentioning the thing about clubs imitating Real Madrid. Leeds used to play in various combinations of blue, yellow and white until the 1960s.

3 hours ago, Leveller said:

In the mid 60's virtually EVERY club changed to  one colour kits. I remember in the adverts in Soccer Star it was called "self" for some reason .

18 minutes ago, Offside said:

Yes, judging from the excellent historical football kits website (link below) a number of clubs including City, the fewers, Charlton, Coventry, Middlesbrough and even Wolves adopted one colour kits in the 1960s that were much plainer than the big collars, large badges and hooped socks that characterised kits in the 1950s. Sheffield Wednesday's current kit is based on the 1960s version when they briefly abandoned stripes for a plainer look.

Leveller - I remember my dad mentioning the thing about clubs imitating Real Madrid. Leeds used to play in various combinations of blue, yellow and white until the 1960s.

Indeed. Leeds have always kept the white yellow and blue in their scarves, of course.

6 hours ago, brizzlelou said:

Sorry to drag IT back up again but I really do prefer this new kit with red shorts. I hated the entire kit to start with but I did warm to it quickly (few good results probably helped). Just really prefer it in all red. Just wanted to gauge other people's thoughts now we've seen the mixtures.

Well. I for one prefer red shorts. Think it looks more stylish. For the same reason I thought the all purple kit worn in pre-season looked great too...

Stari, my friend, I've got a photo in the house of the team in all red taken in front of the East End before Big John's last game in April 1966, signed by the great man himself.   I intend taking it to the grave with me.  Sorry to disagree, but for me we will always be all red.

12 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

When you are as old as I am even blue is City's colour. The colour we wore in our greatest game ever (to date) FA Cup Final.  True Man U were in red that day.  Perhaps we would have won if we had played in red. Remember those blue shirts well!!! Well, at least I think I do !!!

Both teams wore their away kits on the day. City wore blue as the non league Black Arabs/ Eastville Rovers were probably still in black and yellow then. Man United wore white shirts.

Archived