IGNORED

Red shorts

brizzlelou

As @Leveller says my earliest memories was of the all red kit 65-71, even the socks were all red in the latter part of that period, so I don't see it as some sort of sacrilege. I can't say I have a real preference, I do like the "pin stripe" shirt with the red shorts, but I won't be returning my season ticket if they turn up in white shorts either. :)  

1 hour ago, sglosbcfc said:

Both teams wore their away kits on the day. City wore blue as the non league Black Arabs/ Eastville Rovers were probably still in black and yellow then. Man United wore white shirts.

Correct. Around that time Rovers wore blue and white striped shirts but there wasn't the Partizanship acknowledged then that exists today so there wasn't the objection to wearing blue that there is now.

*WARNING the following may cause some viewers distress. Do not read on if likely to be  affected.

Indeed several times in the 1950s City wore the blue and white quarters of the Rovers in home cup ties when there was a colour clash as back then the home team was expected to change in such an event.

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Bristol_City/Bristol_City.htm

When though, did goal keepers stop wearing the same colour shorts & socks as the remainder of the team?

As for the trend of just one colour; Real Madrid wearing their traditional all white strip won the European Cup (aka the Champions League) for it's first five years of existence. Leeds had blue & yellow as their colours from 1934 to 1961, but changed to all white hoping to emulate Real. Other English clubs then decided to wear just one colour.

21 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

When you are as old as I am even blue is City's colour. The colour we wore in our greatest game ever (to date) FA Cup Final.  True Man U were in red that day.  Perhaps we would have won if we had played in red. Remember those blue shirts well!!! Well, at least I think I do !!!

I think Man U wore white with a red V happy to be corrected.

13 hours ago, handsofclay said:

Correct. Around that time Rovers wore blue and white striped shirts but there wasn't the Partizanship acknowledged then that exists today so there wasn't the objection to wearing blue that there is now.

*WARNING the following may cause some viewers distress. Do not read on if likely to be  affected.

Indeed several times in the 1950s City wore the blue and white quarters of the Rovers in home cup ties when there was a colour clash as back then the home team was expected to change in such an event.

Absolutely correct.  Remember this well

So much pleasanter to have been a Bristolian football fan in the 1950s, when there was no stupid 'gentleman's agreement' between the two clubs and although there was keen rivalry many many fans supported both teams and attended matches at both Ashton Gate and Eastville and there was very little of the childish nasty abuse of today.  To see one international striker one week at Ashton Gate and then another a week later at Eastville was truly a magical time for Bristol football and us fans

My bias against red shorts comes from the fact that I started going to games in 1967. At that time we played in red shorts and struggled every season, since when  I have associated poor performance on the pitch with us wearing red shorts.

Promotion to the first division was achieved wearing white shorts.

43 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Anyone watching Palace vs Southampton?  Both teams playing in blue shorts and blue socks; Palace in blue and red striped shirts, Southampton in blue and black striped shirts.

If this is allowed, how can we ever need to swap to red shorts??!

Different rules in the Premier League I believe. They can have same colour shorts, but not allowed in the EFL.

Archived