IGNORED

Would Wilson have taken us to the Prem?

tinman85

Was watching some old videos of the Wilson era. We were so good to watch back then. Certainly more entertaining than the GJ team. 

How on earth did we not go up? We were a Graham Kavanagh and Peter Thorne/Earnsahw away from it. Frustrating we didn't push the boat out for that type of established player. 

Had me thinking that if we had beaten Brighton at Wembley would Danny have progressed us at Champ level? 

6 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

Was watching some old videos of the Wilson era. We were so good to watch back then. Certainly more entertaining than the GJ team. 

How on earth did we not go up? We were a Graham Kavanagh and Peter Thorne/Earnsahw away from it. Frustrating we didn't push the boat out for that type of established player. 

Had me thinking that if we had beaten Brighton at Wembley would Danny have progressed us at Champ level? 

Or just play Lita, or even put him on the bench to bring him on as sub.... 

18 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

Danny Wilson under achieved with the team he had here, not over achieved. 

Who knows what might have happened, but I very, very much doubt it!

3 hours ago, Tomarse said:

I'm not sure he'd have ever got us out of league one 

Probably would have on the law of averages, some time between then and now.We were making progress under him at a glacial rate.

As for "pushing the boat out" he spent £600k on Lee Peacock in 2000 in the third division, so let's not pretend now he had no funds.

Hugely overrated bluffer who oversaw the least professional set up I can ever recall in my 45 years plus of supporting City.

8 hours ago, tinman85 said:

Kavanagh was some player at that level. Sure there was talk of him coming here at some stage.

8 hours ago, tinman85 said:

No. Apart from one season at Barnsley, the clubs he managed after significantly failed to "achieve". Especially at City and later at Sheff U. His time at City was wasted p, primarily in my opinion, because of the drinking he acquiesced to and the gung ho tactics he used in matches, with not enough emphasis on defending. Yet at Cardiff, he went totally the opposite way with the most miserably negative display.

He set this club back and, while some may refer to exciting games, we wasted several years and lots of money. So a definite no from me and even though I was a fierce critic of LJ during last winter, I prefer what he is trying to do than another spell if Wilson's drunken Galacticos.

Good times under Wilson. He had them playing some great stuff and was a joy to watch. I don't think I saw better football from any manager.

Lee Miller missing from a yard out at Swindon...................:facepalm:

Looking back his management style was very old school with the lads out on the piss. That wouldn't happen these days but that's how it was when Wilson was a player. Lots of clubs had a drinking culture back then.

13 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Good times under Wilson. He had them playing some great stuff and was a joy to watch. I don't think I saw better football from any manager.

Looking back his management style was very old school with the lads out on the piss. That wouldn't happen these days but that's how it was when Wilson was a player. Lots of clubs had a drinking culture back then.

The drinking culture was 'ok' because lots of clubs had a drinking culture back then? Talk about bending the truth to suit your pro-Wilson agenda! If that had happened under dear old GJ I'll wager you won't have taken it with a pinch of salt... 

Wilson's reign, despite some good football, was one of continual underachievement and wasted years in the third tier.

22 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The drinking culture was well out of hand.  I was 19 when Wilson arrived at the club and some of the things I saw and heard the players get up to that time was unreal

You may not like him but GJ finally flushed the culture away after the Orr/Brooker/Partridge incident 

6 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

The drinking culture was well out of hand.  I was 19 when Wilson arrived at the club and some of the things I saw and heard the players get up to that time was unreal

You may not like him but GJ finally flushed the culture away after the Orr/Brooker/Partridge incident 

my fav times supporting city was under wilson and I had the most fun which is why he was my fav manager, but we were going nowhere fast under him, but we didn't have the sort of backing we had now ether,

the drinking culture was out of hand, I was in the plough with Mathews and Peacock at 3am on a saturday morning match day drinking, thats how bad it got

Archived