IGNORED

Would Wilson have taken us to the Prem?

tinman85

15 minutes ago, RedJim said:

The drinking culture was 'ok' because lots of clubs had a drinking culture back then? Talk about bending the truth to suit your pro-Wilson agenda! 

RJ - a drinking culture was commonplace at lots of clubs back then, even more so when Wilson was a player. He didn't see a problem with it. To me that's understandable given his experiences as a player.

9 hours ago, tinman85 said:

Was watching some old videos of the Wilson era. We were so good to watch back then. Certainly more entertaining than the GJ team. 

How on earth did we not go up? We were a Graham Kavanagh and Peter Thorne/Earnsahw away from it. Frustrating we didn't push the boat out for that type of established player. 

Had me thinking that if we had beaten Brighton at Wembley would Danny have progressed us at Champ level? 

An amusing way to start a Tuesday morning.

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

RJ - a drinking culture was commonplace at lots of clubs back then, even more so when Wilson was a player. He didn't see a problem with it. To me that's understandable given his experiences as a player.

So we should expect to see a great drinking culture at Crystal Palace if and when Hodgson takes over, to you that would be understandable given his experiences as a player. 

12 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

The drinking culture was well out of hand.  I was 19 when Wilson arrived at the club and some of the things I saw and heard the players get up to that time was unreal

I know Tom. I used to see City players in the Sawyers Arms in Nailsea. 

Scot Murray was banned because of his profane language which got worse the more pissed he got. I saw Peacock fall off the bar stool......I could tell you loads of stories.

Very interesting to read your thoughts on Wilson. From a Barnsley perspective, of course he will always be a hero for what he achieved. I recall having the view as a casual observer that you were consistently strong in L1 under him but of course ultimately he failed in his mission to get you up.

At Sheff Utd I think he was extremely unlucky as he would surely have got them up first time of asking if his star striker had not got himself imprisoned in the February. And then he was binned towards the end of the season when they were top 6 with a few games to go and they panicked that they were gonna miss out again. One of the worst decisions a board has ever made.

I was over the moon when he came back to Barnsley for a second go. We had dreams it was going to be like the first time all over again. In reality he took over a side that had the smell of relegation all over it and he couldnt turn it round in time. I was disgusted when he was binned after less than a year but perhaps he just doesnt fit the modern manager mould any more.

2 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

So we should expect to see a great drinking culture at Crystal Palace if and when Hodgson takes over, to you that would be understandable given his experiences as a player. 

Woy is a very bright man and has moved with the times. Wilson probably has as well since his time at City.

Which videos were you watching? I'm guessing it was the 4-1 wins over Reading and not the 4-0 defeats to Colchester and Bournemouth, 3-0 at Wycombe, or the run of drab single goal victories that somehow rescued his final season.

Wilson was a massively overrated manager, achieved less in 4 years than Johnson did in 18 months and spent a lot more money in doing so. The good performances were very good but there simply weren't enough of them.

Thought he deserved one more year. But only one more year to get us to Championship. The football was generally pretty good and we seemed to be getting one step closer each year.

The PL? No. In a weird way his experience of the Championship and PL may have stood us in ok stead football style wise but overall, no he wouldn't have got us to the PL.

Lita...was a terrible decision but he was a young 19 year old, whose to say he would necessarily have delivered? Especially in a crunch game such as playoff final. 7 goals in 41 League games over 2 years his record by that time- again not knocking but maybe not the magic bullet we all think/thought, at that stage anyway.

Oh and the drink culture was appalling. I think we may have gone up in 04-05 with one more Wilson season but taking the drink culture into account...

Fantastic football played by City until the last season in my opinion when the football became too patient. I am of the opinion that you also go to football to be entertained too and Wilson for the first 3 seasons provided that.

Lets not forget memorable games in beating Cardiff 3 times under Wilson, constantly beating Swindle and sending the Gas down. That aint bad at all. 

All ifs and buts with Wilsons spell though, especially the final season which was unforgivable. Regardless of the playoff final we shouldn't have even been there, we should have gone up automatically. IIRC we did not lose a game against any other of the top 6 that season and still didn't go up. 

We then lost at Luton after equalising in 90th minute. We then drew with Brighton at home when QPR lost. Miller's last minute miss at Swindon. A draw at home to bottom placed Wycombe. 

Also, if we had gone up playing open football which we liked to play under Wilson we would have ended up like we did in 1998/99.

9 hours ago, tinman85 said:

Shouldn't have been sacked. Considering LJ can do no wrong SL really made a mistake sacking Danny. 

I haven't read all this thread, so other may already have responded to this, but I'm always amazed that there are people who wanted Wilson to be kept on.  The club was almost wrecked during his period in charge in terms of the culture amongst the players (you only have to read Christian Roberts's autobiography to see that) and despite having considerable resources at his disposal, Wilson failed to get us promotion year after year.  When we did eventually get into the play-off final, what did he do?  Completely wrecked it with his ridiculous team selection. 

I have fond memories about that period because of the exciting football, but ultimately it was a period of failure for which Wilson should have taken full responsibility.  I thought at the time the decision to sack him was absolutely right: only a shame that we didn't make a good appointment to follow him. 

53 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

He wasnt sacked

None of us fans know what happened with SL and DW and the reason DW left City.

Lots of wild speculation at the time - like Wilson wanted more investment and SL turned him down.......but none of us actually know.

Him leaving was a huge disappointment for me as a fan who enjoyed the way his teams played. No other manager has come close since.

10 hours ago, DaveF said:

I can't say I really remember us playing great football back then, I always thought he was a pretty poor manager.

There was a period of about 15 games where we played 3 at the back with doc burnell/clist tinnion as a centre 3 in midfield where we played probably the best (on the eye) football I have ever seen at city. The season after he went more defensive and it became very dull to watch... but this 15 games were a joy to behold.

To answer the OP's question.

But he spent 4 years here, didn't move down.. never knew what his players were up to... we were never going to progress with him, he didn't fully immerse himself within the club and area.

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

According to a well known City fan, our star striker could often be found in a bar near Bristol City centre of a Friday evening, knocking back an absinth cocktail or three.

20 minutes ago, TRL said:

But he spent 4 years here, didn't move down.. never knew what his players were up to... we were never going to progress with him, he didn't fully immerse himself within the club and area.

I'm sure DW knew exactly what kind of social life his players were enjoying. As I posted earlier, he didn't see heavy drinking as an issue. He saw the lads on the lash as a team bonding exercise.

He was living in Chesterfield - where still lives I think but had a flat near the docks so to say he never immersed himself in the club or area is exactly true.

I saw him several times in the Mardyke and the Bear in Hotwells mid week. Pubs, I know............:facepalm:

A very interesting and nice guy to chat to.

We also had a core of young Bristolians (or at least players through the academy) in Hill, Coles, Doc, Brown, Burnell, Carey, Phillips and that brought its own feel-good factor.

Every season was supposed to be our season but ultimately the era flattered to deceive - to state the bleedin' obvious.

Would we have stayed up?  It's not a sensible question because we were nearly men.  IF we had got up we may have done BUT we didn't.  

Aunties with balls spring to mind (not transsexuals).

41 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I'm sure DW knew exactly what kind of social life his players were enjoying. As I posted earlier, he didn't see heavy drinking as an issue. He saw the lads on the lash as a team bonding exercise.

Christian Roberts was drunk during a game.

He'd started drinking on Saturday night, skipped training on Monday and drank all the way through to Tuesday night, when City played Watford.

That's not a team bonding exercise, that's expecting a barely-functioning alcoholic to play professional football. I think it should be considered "an issue".

8 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

Christian Roberts was drunk during a game.

He'd started drinking on Saturday night, skipped training on Monday and drank all the way through to Tuesday night, when City played Watford.

That's not a team bonding exercise, that's expecting a barely-functioning alcoholic to play professional football. I think it should be considered "an issue".

Roberts, like most dependent are very good at hiding the severity of their problem. It's a significant part of the illness.

DW probably thought Roberts was just a piss head and took little notice especially as there were others in a similar hungover state.

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Roberts, like most dependent are very good at hiding the severity of their problem. It's a significant part of the illness.

DW probably thought Roberts was just a piss head and took little notice especially as there were others in a similar hungover state.

Is that your defence of Danny Wilson? That a player can turn up for a match after 4 solid days of boozing and gets played because there were others in a similar state?

Always thought I'd still prefer him as manager in the championship once someone else had got us up! This thought mainly sprang to mind during GJ's era of going 1 nil up then trying to sit on it.

But his reign is all history, we had a chance to get into the top two funnily enough at home to Brighton towards the end of the season. He got out fought tactically then by them then who came for a draw and easily contained our sideways football. Wilson obviously forgot this by the time the final came along and played the same way. 

His other wake-up before this was when we were 1 down against hartlepool, he changed things up and our pace in the team changed it. For the final though he started with the same style that saw us draw 0-0 with Brighton at home and who were 1 down to hartlepool. Still bugs me to this day!

4 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

Is that your defence of Danny Wilson? That a player can turn up for a match after 4 solid days of boozing and gets played because there were others in a similar state?

I'm not "defending" DW at all. Just stating how it was at the time.

Most of his players were out boozing so one hitting harder than the others probably went unnoticed.

I posted earlier that imv Wilson played some very attractive football and I was disappointed when he left.

36 minutes ago, Robin Ashton said:

I also seem to remember some pretty boring football under Wilson, and wasn't disappointed he left after that depressing play off final fiasco.

He certainly messed up on that occasion for sure but cast your mind back to the semi against the monkey hangers at AG. 

It was Wilson bringing on Freezer to score the equaliser that turned the game around.

16 hours ago, tinman85 said:

Shouldn't have been sacked. Considering LJ can do no wrong SL really made a mistake sacking Danny. 

I believe that the club had budgeted for getting promoted and failure in the play offs caused mayhem, which is why Danny went. In our final League game of that season, the East End sang "Danny, Danny give us a wave". He turned and did so, but without smiling. I think he knew then that auto promotion had been missed and everything depended now on winning the play offs. Why no Lita that day? We'll never know.

Archived