IGNORED

Sky Sports next year - Live Championship games

elhombrecito

5 minutes ago, Red Bill said:

Simon Stone writing on the BBC Website says  "away fans willing to undertake (long distance) trips are unlikely to be put off by an ability to watch them on a live stream."

Really?

Given the chaos of getting to Tuesday night games at home, especially with their no-backpack rule (not that anyone has yet to report an issue), finding the motivation to attend midweek home games is going to be an interesting one.

• SC&T Board Members

Note that City will "have the opportunity" to stream all but Saturday 3pm games live, but do not need to take up that opportunity.

Maybe they will only do so if the advace ticket sales for a given game are above a certain level.

In general, however, this puts an onus on clubs to make the live experience in the ground very different to and more appealing than that of a TV viewer at home, e.g., dare I say, by lobbying govt to get standing formally allowed so that the experience in the ground is more participative and less a case of just sitting there and watching on.

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

Personally think it'll be 1 or 2 years until Sky team up with Amazon and they bring out a joint partnership to blow BT out of the water. Only a matter of time until games are shown exclusively through non-linear TV.

I'm already amazed that Sky, with hardwired satellite dishes, is still a viable business model. 

Surely Amazon, Facebook, Google or YouTube must be thinking of buying rights at the next auction and taking it forward on its next logical progression? 

14 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

I'm already amazed that Sky, with hardwired satellite dishes, is still a viable business model. 

Surely Amazon, Facebook, Google or YouTube must be thinking of buying rights at the next auction and taking it forward on its next logical progression? 

I think what sky has as its huge advantage was a de facto monopoly on networks and programmes historically that still leaves them a strong negotiatior. Whatever the catalogue the streaming systems have is still blown in the water by sky - and crucially a lot more diluted. They have the odd exclusives on amazon netflix etc but even still sky, though it has lots of crap, probably has an exclusive on any one channel at any one time.

I think it will be a generation to end sky. 

2 hours ago, 29AR said:

I think what sky has as its huge advantage was a de facto monopoly on networks and programmes historically that still leaves them a strong negotiatior. Whatever the catalogue the streaming systems have is still blown in the water by sky - and crucially a lot more diluted. They have the odd exclusives on amazon netflix etc but even still sky, though it has lots of crap, probably has an exclusive on any one channel at any one time.

I think it will be a generation to end sky. 

I think we'll see a football package go to an online-only company sooner rather than later. Plus an Amazon Prime subscription can cost less than a single month of "everything" on sky. I think sky have seen the way things are going to go with one-day or one-week etc access to Sky Sports via the NowTV platform, which makes it much more accessible. 

The only MASSIVE negative is that if the market for rights is disrupted by these emerging broadcasters, this will only serve to increase the price of the packages, hike up subscription costs and ensure even more money goes to greedy agents and the already overpaid primadonnas. 

I'd much rather football was on once a month plus the cup finals and still be on HTV quite frankly 

4 hours ago, petehinton said:

Personally think it'll be 1 or 2 years until Sky team up with Amazon and they bring out a joint partnership to blow BT out of the water. Only a matter of time until games are shown exclusively through non-linear TV.

Netflix and Amazon will both go for sports soon. Netflix narrowly missed out on the IPL coverage to Sky this year.

31 minutes ago, EmersonsRed said:

Netflix and Amazon will both go for sports soon. Netflix narrowly missed out on the IPL coverage to Sky this year.

Amazon already have sports, they are slowly buying up the smaller sports in the USA.

Amazons owner was the richest man in the world a month back, they can spend as much as they want.

I expect Amazon to blow Sky out of the water when the contract for the Premier League is next up.

This will lead to the end of linear TV. It's only sports you need to watch live now.

10 minutes ago, Selred said:

Amazon already have sports, they are slowly buying up the smaller sports in the USA.

Amazons owner was the richest man in the world a month back, they can spend as much as they want.

I expect Amazon to blow Sky out of the water when the contract for the Premier League is next up.

This will lead to the end of linear TV. It's only sports you need to watch live now.

Agreed. 

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

I think we'll see a football package go to an online-only company sooner rather than later. Plus an Amazon Prime subscription can cost less than a single month of "everything" on sky. I think sky have seen the way things are going to go with one-day or one-week etc access to Sky Sports via the NowTV platform, which makes it much more accessible. 

The only MASSIVE negative is that if the market for rights is disrupted by these emerging broadcasters, this will only serve to increase the price of the packages, hike up subscription costs and ensure even more money goes to greedy agents and the already overpaid primadonnas. 

I'd much rather football was on once a month plus the cup finals and still be on HTV quite frankly 

Yeah I think the time will come, but I'm not sure they'll get anything like what Sky do. 

Not sure Netflix's corporate position but the problem for the streamers is they don't have the 'sports market' subscription base so they would really be buying sports rights on the gamble that it will generate additional revenue. I imagine only a very few could financially make that gamble. What BT could afford v Setanta/ITV sport as an e.g. Sky already have the customers so it's less risky for them to spend obscene amounts. 

Im also not sure the sponsors would be that happy. Barclays Premier League - if I was at Barclays and the PL were moving from X known subscribers to unknown viewing numbers online I'd be quick on the phone to renegotiate sponsorship. Think it'll be a very slow move. Maybe only shared rights with Sky for the foreseeable. 

Archived