IGNORED

Gary Owers and Martin Kuhl Appointed at Torquay

hoxton casual

Pleased for both and looks a decent appointment. Torquay are swimming in the lower conference/upper next level down waters and Owers will know that level. Kuhl s a highly regarded youth coach/pie eater and with Torquay being strapped, youth development will be a big part of the remit. Appointment looks to be what they need with that combo.

Also great news for us. GO clearly has a good relationship with the guys here, and with loans to the national league still available (I think), I'd lay short money on Max O'Leary and at least one other (as well as Dowling) getting good experience at that level very soon

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Gulls fans are highly suspicious of the owners there: property developers. Eyes on Plainmoor.

That said, this appointment is a positive step. Recent results for them have been atrocious. guy who put 3 past them last night, was someone they let go in the Summer. :facepalm:

The council owns the freehold and shows no sign of giving it up.  That's the best security that the club has.

All the best Gary,  always points out any problems when co commentating on RB and gives experienced opinions,  I really hope you can put the Gulls where they rightfully belong,  back in the FL. Start by asking LJ for some of our young blood,  who will get some good experience in your team.

Really good luck to Owers - liked him at City and hopefully we can help him drag them back to the Football League where hopefully they can be protected from vultures.

Maybe the vultures could instead go back to one of their old targets? From the Torquay forum:

"The man behind this company Clarke Osborne has now set up a new company "Riviera Stadium Limited".

Gaming International Limited was once known as Bristol Stadium PLC.

Clarke Osborne was a director of Bristol Stadium PLC when Bristol Rovers could no longer afford to pay them the rent in 1986. Rovers were forced to play in exile in Bath for ten years."

Go on, you'll be heroes...

9 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Gulls fans are highly suspicious of the owners there: property developers. Eyes on Plainmoor.

That said, this appointment is a positive step. Recent results for them have been atrocious. guy who put 3 past them last night, was someone they let go in the Summer. :facepalm:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/16/torquay-fans-fear-relegation-losing-home-96-years-plainmoor

7 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I think the owner has made their intention crystal clear by naming their holding company "Riveria Stadium Limited"!

No mention of Torquay FC or football...

This is the problem. Torbay BC haven`t got a pot to piss in and they will sell the freehold as soon as a half decent offer is made. Sadly, the local populace would probably support them selling it - `Why should we pay for some crappy football team` - and if the sharks at Riviera get the publicity right the sale would have to happen as it would be political suicide if it didn`t.

End of the road for them then I think sadly.

15 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

This is the problem. Torbay BC haven`t got a pot to piss in and they will sell the freehold as soon as a half decent offer is made. Sadly, the local populace would probably support them selling it - `Why should we pay for some crappy football team` - and if the sharks at Riviera get the publicity right the sale would have to happen as it would be political suicide if it didn`t.

End of the road for them then I think sadly.

I'll keep an eye then.  I'm no Steve Lansdown but I have a few quid and it would be nice to frustrate them.

34 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I'll keep an eye then.  I'm no Steve Lansdown but I have a few quid and it would be nice to frustrate them.

The story of Torquay is a worrying parable of what happens to clubs without wealthy owners these days.  Bubbling along quite nicely in the lower leagues for 80 years, but their last owner was a lottery winner (and not a vast jackpot at that) and then his widow. The sharks will always circle a drowning man. :evil:

Archived