Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

cynic

Opposition Views

Bar BS3    7,437
6 minutes ago, cynic said:

Good laugh here;

http://www.wolvesblog.com/10959/wolves-3-bristol-city-3

Some of the comments are crackers :clapping:

It was a penalty! Yes he was close, but if you close down a cross with your arms out away from your body, you are asking the Ref to give a penalty against you, the second the ball strikes your unnaturally placed arm, let alone both arms! 

I like reading that they played "excellently". This wasn't a point taken against them on a bad day at the office. This was a fantastic point against a team who played very well and will almost certainly be in the mix for a top 2 place come the end of the season. 

• Like 3

ZiderEyed    1,069

It was a penalty, ******* hell they havent half moaned about that. The ball hit his outstretched arm in the box???

• Like 2

JBFC II    566

Then, when Danny Batth was assaulted in the penalty area with the ball nowhere in sight minutes later, the same referee gleefully waved away the appeal.

:laughcont:

hodge    2,013

How can they think when the players arm is at 90 degrees its not a penalty :laugh: I'd have had some sympathy if his arms were by his side or something. When Danny Batth was assaulted in the penalty area with the ball nowhere in sight ..... Er what?! Wright won a header if that's the incident he's talking about.

• Like 1

cynic    5,594

Bunch of whingers.

When they start getting letters of apology from the refs association as we did last season, then they will have something to complain about.

Seems like they expect teams to roll over and let them win and refs to give them everything - if their players have that mindset (and there are signs of it) then they'll blow it this season after trying to buy promotion.

• Like 1

Kid in the Riot    7,133
11 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

It was a penalty! Yes he was close, but if you close down a cross with your arms out away from your body, you are asking the Ref to give a penalty against you, the second the ball strikes your unnaturally placed arm, let alone both arms! 

I like reading that they played "excellently". This wasn't a point taken against them on a bad day at the office. This was a fantastic point against a team who played very well and will almost certainly be in the mix for a top 2 place come the end of the season. 

I suppose it depends how much of them looking excellent was actually down to us not being so good. The Wolves fan I know messaged me at full-time saying it was the best they'd played all season but that he couldn't believe the ease in which they time and time again got in behind us. This happened a lot down the flanks, particularly on the right. I suppose this was an area of concern for me along with our failure to get a grip of the game in midfield enough and also not create many chances (pretty much none in fact bar the goals from memory). Obviously the positives are that we have a new found resilience, we took our chances clinically when they came and also I thought we looked pretty solid defensively down the middle with Flint, Wright and Baker all looking tough and hard to beat. Bryan and Reid were both excellent for me.

Wolves are a very good outfit though, no doubt about that, and of course a point is a good result as were the 3 we got at Reading on Saturday. But on the balance of play we could, and possibly even deserved to, lose both games and that remains a concern I suppose until we have some consistency in our results having been fully deserving of the results in terms of overall performance.

I don't think it's sustainable for us to keep shipping chances against us and not creating much as we've done at Brentford, Wolves and Reading and expecting to get results. Looking for some more controlled performances like the Barnsley game, and Villa game to be fair.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

cidered abroad    3,124

Bitter and twisted aren't they? If you waste chances you don't get the results you deserve/want.

We are a lot more resilient in defence than last season but still room for improvement.

chipdawg    2,018
4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I suppose it depends how much of them looking excellent was actually down to us not being so good. The Wolves fan I know messaged me at full-time saying it was the best they'd played all season but that he couldn't believe the ease in which they time and time again got in behind us. This happened a lot down the flanks, particularly on the right. I suppose this was an area of concern for me along with our failure to get a grip of the game in midfield enough and also not create many chances (pretty much none in fact bar the goals from memory). Obviously the positives are that we have a new found resilience, we took our chances clinically when they came and also I thought we looked pretty solid defensively down the middle with Flint, Wright and Baker all looking tough and hard to beat. Bryan and Reid were both excellent for me.

Wolves are a very good outfit though, no doubt about that, and of course a point is a good result as were the 3 we got at Reading on Saturday. But on the balance of play we could, and possibly even deserved to, lose both games and that remains a concern I suppose until we have some consistency in our results having been fully deserving of the results in terms of overall performance.

I don't think it's sustainable for us to keep shipping chances against us and not creating much as we've done at Brentford, Wolves and Reading and expecting to get results. Looking for some more controlled performances like the Barnsley game, and Villa game to be fair.

While I take your point RE: possibly deserving to lose both games, I think the fact that we got 4 points from two difficult away games where we were under the cosh tells is own story. And with a different bounce it could just as easily have been 6 points as much as it could have been 0. The thing this years team seems to have is a bit of backbone. They're tough to beat and don't lie down when they're under pressure. If (as it did last year) the quality football follows in the second part of the year, I think we're going to be a quality championship outfit. But getting us playing football, while maintaining that resilience is the challenge 

• Like 4

Bar BS3    7,437
18 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

So were we weak and continually letting them get in behind us, or defensively solid..?!

I think Wolves, Reading & even Brentford away, despite the laters stuttering start to the season, are 3 of the toughest fixtures this season, where most teams will struggle to contain them at times. 

We have emerged from those games unbeaten and with 5 points. I think that is a very positive sign! Also scoring 6 goals in the process, isn't bad going for a team that I keep reading "don't create many opportunities" 

• Like 3

Bar BS3    7,437
4 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I'd give it

DJmTFNNX0AAY9HG.jpg

Can someone post this on their forum and shut them up please..?! 

• Like 4

spudski    7,276

Everyone looks for the perfect calm and controlled performance...Not even those at the top of the league have that every week.

From what I've witnessed from most games this season, is that we have improved in many parts of our game, but still allow the opposition to get in behind our defenders on the flanks too easily, and get crosses in.

Our Central Defence is generally solid, but our CM isn't when defending and tracking back. Over the period of a season, that will take it's toll on the CD's, and they will make mistakes by being over worked...not just from the CM defensive frailty, but also having to deal with the amount of crosses needlessly being let into the box by our full backs.

Our CM and FB's, especially JB, give way too much room to the opposition when closing down or tracking, and very rarely get a block in.

Stats will show they tracked back...I hope when looking at these stats they also look with their eyes to how much room they are giving the opposition to play, move, pass and cross.

Cut that out, and we have the makings of a decent team.

What stands out for me so far, is that games we would have lost last season, have been turned into draws instead.

Only 9 draws all last season and we already have 4 already in just 7 games. 2 wins and just 1 loss and a positive GD.

If we keep that ratio up we'll end up mid table...which is what we look like as a team to me.

Stop the crosses coming into the box more, close down better in front of the 18 yard box, and we might start going places.

• Like 10

1960maaan    2,785

24 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I agree. I think we have ridden our luck a little in the last two games, Reading had 3 chances which a decent contact would have changed the game. It was a good performance but we created little and it sounds similar last night. I'm glad we took advantage of a bit of good fortune to take points, we will dominate games more and fail to win so to pick up points in these two games was important, as much as it was unexpected. 
With luck it will boost confidence and the performances will pick up too, we need to be more of a threat , but defensively we look stronger.

• Like 1

Kid in the Riot    7,133

I don't think we are in disagreement @chipdawg

4 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

So were we weak and continually letting them get in behind us, or defensively solid..?!

I think Wolves, Reading & even Brentford away, despite the laters stuttering start to the season, are 3 of the toughest fixtures this season, where most teams will struggle to contain them at times. 

We have emerged from those games unbeaten and with 5 points. I think that is a very positive sign! Also scoring 6 goals in the process, isn't bad going for a team that I keep reading "don't create many opportunities" 

It may be worth you re-reading my post where I clearly distinguish between Wolves getting in behind us down the flanks versus being defensively solid down the middle.

I am also not in disagreement that taking 5 points from those 3 away games is a positive sign. I am merely pointing out that our general play for large parts of those games left a lot to be desired, particularly at Brentford where we were overrun for the best part of 90 minutes.

Scoring 6 goals in those games is also very good considering we didn't create many opportunities - which we didn't. My point here being if we continue to create few opportunities (and continue to concede a lot of chances to the opposition) then it is likely our luck will run out at some point!

• Like 2

1960maaan    2,785
3 minutes ago, spudski said:

JB, give way too much room to the opposition when closing down or tracking, and very rarely get a block in.

JMac  said on RB last night that JB gets out of trouble with his pace, which has lead to him not learning to position himself as much as others might . He is working on it with him, hope it will come.

• Like 2

Bar BS3    7,437
6 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I don't think we are in disagreement @chipdawg

It may be worth you re-reading my post where I clearly distinguish between Wolves getting in behind us down the flanks versus being defensively solid down the middle.

I am also not in disagreement that taking 5 points from those 3 away games is a positive sign. I am merely pointing out that our general play for large parts of those games left a lot to be desired, particularly at Brentford where we were overrun for the best part of 90 minutes.

Scoring 6 goals in those games is also very good considering we didn't create many opportunities - which we didn't. My point here being if we continue to create few opportunities (and continue to concede a lot of chances to the opposition) then it is likely our luck will run out at some point!

Agreed. I don't think many games will be tougher than those 3 either though. 

maxjak    312

That twit shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a blog........how can u sustain credibility with your views when they are so misguided and delusional?  A balanced viewpoint and some credit to the opposition is required, otherwise you just appear like a blinkered fanboy.  Wolves fans need to have quiet word with this reprobate, as it reflects poorly on their fanbase.  After all is said and done, it's just one sub 12 year old writer who thinks because he has access to the internet, that his observations and ravings have some worth...............he is best ignored and pitied.

Kingswoodactor    640

Having Pisano back will be a huge plus to defending our right hand side, especially when it comes to cutting out crosses. 

Hope we return to a back 4 this weekend. 

• Like 1

spudski    7,276
9 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

JMac  said on RB last night that JB gets out of trouble with his pace, which has lead to him not learning to position himself as much as others might . He is working on it with him, hope it will come.

Well I'm glad it's been noted...watch the highlights on 2 mins...JB's tracking back on that, and the space given and lack of awareness when entering our box, is a classic example of his defending. He may 'get out of trouble' with pace and his fitness, but his positioning when defending is appalling imo. It's his attacking prowess that gives him that position, not his defending skills. I can see why they are trying to make him a FB though...get him defensively nous and he'll be Premiership material.

cider-manc    1,022

Not one appeal from their bench or supporters. Then, when Danny Batth was assaulted in the penalty area with the ball nowhere in sight 

Wright won the ball and pretty much everyone around me appealed for the penalty  (and we were the other side of the halfway line). I stopped reading this ridiculous bias blinkered piece after that.

NOTBLUE    1,135

No way was it a penalty,I mean he only used two hands,if he had an extra hard  he would probably of  used that as well.

BobBobSuperBob    11,608
On 10/09/2017 at 08:26, BobBobSuperBob said:

Interesting chatting to JMc the other evening about Joe Bryan - Asked him if he had been working with JB and whether some noticeable aspects and Joes form were down to / partly down to him (JMc) 

He said he does work with Joe but humbly played down what part he may have played in any improvement

He clearly highly rates Joe and mentioned one interesting point (As an example) that I'd never really considered

Said that because Joe is so quick and his pace / sprint / acceleration can get him out of trouble , his positioning could sometimes be less than perfect , because , if I understood him correctly , (And I won't try and quote JMc with any confidence of accuracy) Joe has never had to think about it so much or be concerned as his pace has always been there to (normally) get him out of any trouble or problem

Thought it was a simple but interesting observation - as for me Joe has all the assets you need to be a top top full back but as we'd all agree can be frustrating on occasions with his positioning often having been raised as an issue on occasions.

He explained he had been talking to / working with Joe about his positioning , trying , for example to get Joe to be in a position where he threatens (Positionally not physically !!! ) his wide man to deter the ball being passed to him in the first place

35 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Said exactly the same after the q&a session Mike

@spudski s  right about not getting tight enough and allowing crosses in IMHO

Edited by BobBobSuperBob
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

hodge    2,013
8 minutes ago, Shotbybothsides said:

Hi lads.

Wolves fan here (sorry another one).

I thought it was an excellent game last night, full of ability and endeavour - a great advertisement for the Championship by both sides.

I did think we deserved to win but only just, you looked extremely capable on attack, passing the ball around as nicely as we did.  And you have backbone too.

A few tasty challenges early on admittedly, but I didnt think it was a particularly dirty game. Jota seemed to be targetted early on though, a bit.

Regards the penalty, I thought the player passing was so close to the defender that in real time it seemed harsh, but upon seeing it again (I was in the South Bank so only got that far end, blind side view) I can see that if you put your hands out even to balance yourself (Not above his head or anything please note) then some refs will give a penalty. So feel a bit hard done too but also can't really complain. 

I thought Danny Batth was pole-axed by a leading elbow, but not convinced it was a penalty, though of course we shout for it. Wouldnt you do the same? Its just passion, you want your team to win, it is at times one-eyed unbalanced support undoubtedly, you may hate it, i love that about the South bank. Maybe partly because we know we have to deliver in 1-3 seasons or yes the Chinese will just sell up.

Regards the two drop balls, I don't like unsporting behaviour, so if we were wrong I apologise to BCFC.  Seems to be mixed views, because there were two incidents. I think we were definitely wrong regards one of them, but not the other.

If you can be bothered to read Wolves fans views, you will see that after the event, just like you lot, we have some very fair and balanced posters, and some who are so blinkered they will never change their views.

Just like any fanbase.

https://www.molineuxmix.co.uk/index.php?threads/not-giving-the-ball-back.198560/#post-5121337

https://www.molineuxmix.co.uk/index.php?threads/point-gained-in-the-end-stay-positive.198555/page-2#post-5121448

https://www.molineuxmix.co.uk/index.php?threads/vs-brizzle-h-verdict.198563/page-3#post-5121442

Good balanced review by the sounds of everything I've read :thumbsup: The only thing about the Batth incident for me is he never gets in the air, if he's going to try and win the header surely he should have jumped? Instead he seems to just run into Wright after Bailey's won the ball. Seen lots of praise for you, so imagine you'll be having a good season. 

chipdawg    2,018
8 minutes ago, Shotbybothsides said:

Hi lads.

I thought it was an excellent game last night, full of ability and endeavour - a great advertisement for the Championship by both sides.

I did think we deserved to win but only just, you looked extremely capable on attack, passing the ball around as nicely as we did.  And you have backbone too.

A few tasty challenges early on admittedly, but I didnt think it was a particularly dirty game. Jota seemed to be targetted early on though, a bit.

Regards the penalty, I thought the player passing was so close to the defender that in real time it seemed harsh, but upon seeing it again (I was in the South Bank so only got that far end, blind side view) I can see that if you put your hands out even to balance yourself (Not above his head or anything please note) then some refs will give a penalty. So feel a bit hard done too but also can't really complain. 

I thought Danny Batth was pole-axed by a leading elbow, but not convinced it was a penalty, though of course we shout for it. Wouldnt you do the same? Its just passion, you want your team to win, it is at times one-eyed unbalanced support undoubtedly, you may hate it, i love that about the South bank. Maybe partly because we know we have to deliver in 1-3 seasons or yes the Chinese will just sell up.

Regards the two drop balls, I don't like unsporting behaviour, so if we were wrong I apologise to BCFC.  Seems to be mixed views, because there were two incidents. I think we were definitely wrong regards one of them, but not the other.

If you can be bothered to read Wolves fans views, you will see that after the event, just like you lot, we have some very fair and balanced posters, and some who are so blinkered they will never change their views.

Just like any fanbase.

https://www.molineuxmix.co.uk/index.php?threads/not-giving-the-ball-back.198560/#post-5121337

https://www.molineuxmix.co.uk/index.php?threads/point-gained-in-the-end-stay-positive.198555/page-2#post-5121448

https://www.molineuxmix.co.uk/index.php?threads/vs-brizzle-h-verdict.198563/page-3#post-5121442

Fair play for coming on and giving a balanced and fair assessment from your side

But it was a stonewall, all-day-long, nailed on, 100% penalty I'm afraid. And I would hold my hands up and say that if it had been given against us for what it's worth

Good luck with the rest of your season. Can't say I like what Wolves are doing RE: spending, but it must be fantastic to get to watch players like Neves every week

spudski    7,276
17 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Said exactly the same after the q&a session Mike

@spudski s  right about not getting tight enough and allowing crosses in IMHO

Cheers for that BBSB...I haven't had time to read through all of the Q&A thread. Makes sense and good to know our eyes are deceiving us, and that the coaching staff are fully aware of it.

Chivs    965

I imagine the annoyance for Wolves fans is that they watched our game where John Terry caught the ball in two hands, spun it around on his index finger, rolled the ball from his left hand, over his shoulders to his right hand, bounced the ball on the ground a couple of times, and then threw the ball away and there was no penalty.  And we were playing "The Villa".

• Like 8
  • Haha 4

28 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Tunni90/status/907735359764692993/video/1

Have tbh my first thought was 'ouch' penalty

But No pen on seeing this angle though the challenge was 'extremely robust' !!

Good job BW got a good contact on the ball - split second earlier !

:D

Thanks for posting this, if anything that's a foul on Wright, very brave (from both players), thankfully BW was first to the ball because his determined aggression to win the ball if a fraction late would have been a foul, excellent defending BW!

• Like 1

Loon plage    890
20 minutes ago, Shotbybothsides said:

Yep fully understand people want us to fail. No one likes clubs who try to buy success.

Understandable.

Youre a big club and I personally see no prpblem with spending big, as you have limited choices if your owners expect promotion and you are to compete with all the clubs enjoying parachute payments.

• Like 1

Robbored    4,250

Otib would have pretty much reacted the same had the fixture been the other way around.

No big surprise to see them whingeing about the referee. 

It does beg the question tho.......bear in mind City had 7 letters of apology from the referee association last season - whether the referees have been "informed" about that or not.

If they had.........

• Like 1

Port Said Red    4,932

I thought the penalty looked like the type that Matt Hill used to give away on a regular basis....... He's not coaching up there is he? :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Taken from " molineux mix";  "If you're a goal up at home to one of the lesser sides and get a draw it's two points dropped "

Ouch..... thats put us in our place then...

only seen the highlights but they do look a bit tasty.... have they just thrown all the money at it then?? havent been keeping up...

Edited by Will Rollason

JoeAman08    3,557

Very similar handball shout to the one called on Flint last Boxing Day. Both unlucky but both with their arms away from their body. Meaning both penalties, imo of course. 

Loon plage    890
3 minutes ago, Will Rollason said:

Taken from " molineux mix";  "If you're a goal up at home to one of the lesser sides and get a draw it's two points dropped "

To be fair, the last two seasons make us one of the lesser sides. Lets hope we can change that status this season.

• Like 1

cynic    5,594
3 minutes ago, Will Rollason said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't they one of the "lesser" sides last season ?

Short memories and a few quid with a team full of foreigners and all of a sudden they are a "superior" side.

• Like 4

JamesBCFC    4,929

Wolves certainly had bettee chances, but it seems they are exaggerating the quality of them somewhat.

The graph for each team increases at every chance they have, the bigger the increase the better the chance.

The number in brackets by each team is the expected goals from the chances each team made.

2017-09-12-wolves-bristol-c.png

• Like 3

Major Isewater    12,234
2 hours ago, Shotbybothsides said:

Hi lads.

Just like any fanbase.

Did you worm your way to the heart of the crowd ? 

Were you shocked to find what was allowed ? 

• Like 2

Savino    2

Some things never change it seems, just spotted this tweet - from Boxing Day last year -

"#WOLvBRC WWFC moaning about the ref, yet falling over and trying to get free kicks at every opp. Especially fat no.9 ref got you 3 points"

Also, it was our friend Danny Batth, captain & head injury feigner, who kindly hoofed the ball back to us  - in touch, near our goal line, which then led to a goal - cheers mate!

Maybe this guy's bad influence is the real issue for WWFC, and they need to address it as a club?

Bar BS3    7,437
3 hours ago, Shotbybothsides said:

He doesn't look like his arms were out to try and balance himself..! 

IMG_3469.JPG

• Like 1

JamesBCFC    4,929
3 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

He doesn't look like his arms were out to try and balance himself..! 

IMG_3469.JPG

Looks like hes just taken a kick in rugby.

• Haha 1

Bar BS3    7,437
2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Looks like hes just taken a kick in rugby.

Looks more like he's just about to pass it out wide. 

In Rugby! 

• Like 1

City Rocker    947
55 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Did you worm your way to the heart of the crowd ? 

Were you shocked to find what was allowed ? 

Brilliant but very niche! About 0.0001% of the population will appreciate the reference. 

• Like 2