Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

cynic

Opposition Views

Recommended Posts

NOTBLUE    1,131
9 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

Brilliant but very niche! About 0.0001% of the population will appreciate the reference. 

I'm trying to remember sang it without looking it up on google,it's on the tip of my tongue..........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1960maaan    2,777
26 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

Brilliant but very niche! About 0.0001% of the population will appreciate the reference. 

I've got the album   ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Major Isewater    12,220
19 minutes ago, NOTBLUE said:

I'm trying to remember sang it without looking it up on google,it's on the tip of my tongue..........

Magazine.

Great , but underrated, band .

Look up their stuff on YouTube.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Woodsy    5,382

**** Wolves

Can't stand them

But, when they do get a peno to wipe out the blatant bad luck they had with ours last night, I hope Vinagre takes it and scores. Purely because I want to see 'Vinagre strokes it home' in a match report

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Major Isewater    12,220
19 minutes ago, NOTBLUE said:

I'm trying to remember sang it without looking it up on google,it's on the tip of my tongue..........

Magazine.

Great , but underrated, band .

Look up their stuff on YouTube.

5 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I've got the album   ;)

Ah you too .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NOTBLUE    1,131
13 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Magazine.

Great , but underrated, band .

Look up their stuff on YouTube.

I actually listened to the other day in my car,it was on a compilation cd,but can remember it when it came out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Major Isewater    12,220
8 minutes ago, NOTBLUE said:

I actually listened to the other day in my car,it was on a compilation cd,but can remember it when it came out.

1978 . Now I feel very old .

Howard Devoto founded the Buzzcocks with Pete Shelley but left the band after the ' Spiral Scratch ' breakthrough as he felt the Buzzcock's musical frame was too limiting . 

One of the greatest guitarists of all time , John McGeoch was in the original line up .

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NOTBLUE    1,131
2 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

1978 . Now I feel very old .

Howard Devoto founded the Buzzcocks with Pete Shelley but left the band after the ' Spiral Scratch ' breakthrough as he felt the Buzzcock's musical frame was too limiting . 

One of the greatest guitarists of all time , John McGeoch was in the original line up .

 

Ah,1978,great music,City in the first division,great away days,jumpers for goal post's.............

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Xiled    920
5 hours ago, chipdawg said:

While I take your point RE: possibly deserving to lose both games, I think the fact that we got 4 points from two difficult away games where we were under the cosh tells is own story. And with a different bounce it could just as easily have been 6 points as much as it could have been 0. The thing this years team seems to have is a bit of backbone. They're tough to beat and don't lie down when they're under pressure. If (as it did last year) the quality football follows in the second part of the year, I think we're going to be a quality championship outfit. But getting us playing football, while maintaining that resilience is the challenge 

What concerns me slightly is that we picked up a number of points at the start of last season when our performance didn't deserve a win or a draw.  Late victories against Burton and Wigan spring to mind.

I'm very happy with 4 points from Reading and Wolves but as @Kid in the Riot said in another post, we need to see signs that we can control play like in the Barnsley game.  Personally, I'm not so sure we deserved much more than a draw against Villa but some of our play was good.

Focus on getting strong home performances and the points picked up in away games won't feel quite as fortuitous as this point at Wolves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chipdawg    2,015
6 minutes ago, Xiled said:

What concerns me slightly is that we picked up a number of points at the start of last season when our performance didn't deserve a win or a draw.  Late victories against Burton and Wigan spring to mind.

I'm very happy with 4 points from Reading and Wolves but as @Kid in the Riot said in another post, we need to see signs that we can control play like in the Barnsley game.  Personally, I'm not so sure we deserved much more than a draw against Villa but some of our play was good.

Focus on getting strong home performances and the points picked up in away games won't feel quite as fortuitous as this point at Wolves.

I thought we were much the better team against Villa, as did the neutrals I watched it with. Being an exile I haven't seen much of this season, but I get the feeling that we're getting points BECAUSE of our resilience whereas last season we were getting them despite our lack of it. There is definitely a way to go before we are a 'good' team, I just think there's maybe a better platform to achieve that with this years squad than last years 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Silvio Dante    980
1 hour ago, NOTBLUE said:

I'm trying to remember sang it without looking it up on google,it's on the tip of my tongue..........

 

47 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Magazine.

Great , but underrated, band .

Look up their stuff on YouTube.

 

50 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I've got the album   ;)

 

37 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Ah you too .

No, Magazine

(boom-tish!)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RumRed    4,859
1 hour ago, City Rocker said:

Brilliant but very niche! About 0.0001% of the population will appreciate the reference. 

**** you've made me feel old, surely it's near 10%?  Saw them a few years ago, still quality.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RedDave    4,225
3 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Wolves certainly had bettee chances, but it seems they are exaggerating the quality of them somewhat.

The graph for each team increases at every chance they have, the bigger the increase the better the chance.

The number in brackets by each team is the expected goals from the chances each team made.

2017-09-12-wolves-bristol-c.png

Wow what a load of nonsense.  So which of Wolves goals should they have missed?  The open net, easy second or free header third?!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Did you worm your way to the heart of the crowd ? 

Were you shocked to find what was allowed ? 

 

I did, and I was at the time.

I didn't think it was a penalty at the time, but maybe "The shite pours out of me" (:-

I'll get me coat.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AppyDAZE    1,872
19 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

 

 

 

No, Magazine

(boom-tish!)

Silliest hair POLL

Bono (back in the day)

Howard Devoto  ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Chaplain    147
5 hours ago, spudski said:

Everyone looks for the perfect calm and controlled performance...Not even those at the top of the league have that every week.

From what I've witnessed from most games this season, is that we have improved in many parts of our game, but still allow the opposition to get in behind our defenders on the flanks too easily, and get crosses in.

Our Central Defence is generally solid, but our CM isn't when defending and tracking back. Over the period of a season, that will take it's toll on the CD's, and they will make mistakes by being over worked...not just from the CM defensive frailty, but also having to deal with the amount of crosses needlessly being let into the box by our full backs.

Our CM and FB's, especially JB, give way too much room to the opposition when closing down or tracking, and very rarely get a block in.

Stats will show they tracked back...I hope when looking at these stats they also look with their eyes to how much room they are giving the opposition to play, move, pass and cross.

Cut that out, and we have the makings of a decent team.

What stands out for me so far, is that games we would have lost last season, have been turned into draws instead.

Only 9 draws all last season and we already have 4 already in just 7 games. 2 wins and just 1 loss and a positive GD.

If we keep that ratio up we'll end up mid table...which is what we look like as a team to me.

Stop the crosses coming into the box more, close down better in front of the 18 yard box, and we might start going places.

I felt it was noticeable at Brentford, especially in the first half, how many times Pisano blocked the cross from coming in.  His one to one defending in that regard was a stark contrast to what we have been used to in recent years, and are still seeing on the other side of the pitch.  Getting him back soon will be important I think.  All in all progress being made though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Major Isewater    12,220
25 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Silliest hair POLL

Bono (back in the day)

Howard Devoto  ?

Bono - still has the same style :shocking:

Good old Howie , sensibly shaved what was left completely off .

:clap:

Who de Daddy ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ska Junkie    1,926

is it just me, their Manager moaning about 'protecting his footballers' and 'other teams are too physical'? Is he taking the piss or what?

It's less physical in Portugal than it is over here, grow a pair! Everyone knows English football is faster and more physical than the rest of Europe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cynic    5,592
18 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

is it just me, their Manager moaning about 'protecting his footballers' and 'other teams are too physical'? Is he taking the piss or what?

It's less physical in Portugal than it is over here, grow a pair! Everyone knows English football is faster and more physical than the rest of Europe.

Some of their supporters moaning that referees should be giving Jota some protection.

Apparently, our players were kicking him from the first minute, the poor love.

At least their manager has now given part of the oppositions team talk - get in their faces lads, they don't like it up 'em :laughcont:

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AppyDAZE    1,872
52 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Bono - still has the same style :shocking:

Good old Howie , sensibly shaved what was left completely off .

:clap:

Who de Daddy ? 

Shocking case of fake news, Major. There is no way that Bono is still sporting that old Mullet today. He went short years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JamesBCFC    4,923
1 hour ago, RedDave said:

Wow what a load of nonsense.  So which of Wolves goals should they have missed?  The open net, easy second or free header third?!!

Its saying of their 3 the final one was the worst chance, and they had a better chance to score before then- shown by the largish increase without a mark denoting a goal- one of their players rounded Fielding and his teammate missed.

Also it isnt saying they shouldnt have scored one of them, by 2.5 goals expected it means you'd expect 2 goals from them half the time and 3 half the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Major Isewater    12,220
24 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Shocking case of fake news, Major. There is no way that Bono is still sporting that old Mullet today. He went short years ago.

That's a wig . He had the same style at Karaoke night down the Legion .

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RedDave    4,225
39 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Its saying of their 3 the final one was the worst chance, and they had a better chance to score before then- shown by the largish increase without a mark denoting a goal- one of their players rounded Fielding and his teammate missed.

Also it isnt saying they shouldnt have scored one of them, by 2.5 goals expected it means you'd expect 2 goals from them half the time and 3 half the time.

Free header ten yards out is a must score surely 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cidercity1987    786
9 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Tunni90/status/907735359764692993/video/1

Have tbh my first thought was 'ouch' penalty

But No pen on seeing this angle though the challenge was 'extremely robust' !!

Good job BW got a good contact on the ball - split second earlier !

:D

Free kick to us.

Wright had the ball, cleared it and their player knocked him over without getting anywhere near the ball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RedSA    961
3 hours ago, RedDave said:

Free header ten yards out is a must score surely 

 

2 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Yet they very often arent scored.

Yes, there was an interesting article than explained the whole expected goals thing. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/40699431

it talks about the difference between what we think is a must score chance and how often they are actually scored. The third goal would be a perfect example I'd  imagine in that it's a very good opportunity to score but the actual conversion rate of a chance like that is probably a lot less than you think. 

It's worth reading the article and I think the expected goals count is a much better barometer of your attacking performance and the quality of chances created than any shots/shots on target count. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BobBobSuperBob    11,597
2 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Free kick to us.

Wright had the ball, cleared it and their player knocked him over without getting anywhere near the ball.

Yes , he ran into Baleys shoulder :D   ;)

Edited by BobBobSuperBob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
redfieldred    270
14 hours ago, Robbored said:

Otib would have pretty much reacted the same had the fixture been the other way around.

No big surprise to see them whingeing about the referee. 

It does beg the question tho.......bear in mind City had 7 letters of apology from the referee association last season - whether the referees have been "informed" about that or not.

If they had.........

The ref v Burton was appalling. He thought football was a non-contact sport. I knew he was going to call a foul for a non-foul in a vital moment and unfortunately it was wilbs disallowed goal. I don't mind refs making mistakes, but when their entire approach is wrong the authorities need to look at them 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That wasn't a penalty, but remember supporters at a game only have that one opportunity to view it, first time I saw it on this clip I thought Batth was literally pole-axed because of the sudden way his body changes direction, I have watched it about ten times now and cannot see any elbow whatsoever. It was just a robust challenge and he was the stronger of the two. I can understand City fans thinking the opposite from your angle.

I still maintain that from the South Bank,  when you saw this instance, and the penalty with two players very close to each other, you react to what you believe happened.

I accept all fans are biased, but at the time I genuinely was amazed when a penalty was given and then thought Batth had been fouled. You can see why on just one viewing.

It shows that you cannot trust your instinct at a game, and that the referee got crucial decisions right here.

What we all do as fans, is scrutinise an incident ten times on video, then say "how on earth could anyone think that"?

Edited by Shotbybothsides
adding a bit more
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ian M    3,691
1 hour ago, Shotbybothsides said:

That wasn't a penalty, but remember supporters at a game only have that one opportunity to view it, first time I saw it on this clip I thought Batth was literally pole-axed because of the sudden way his body changes direction, I have watched it about ten times now and cannot see any elbow whatsoever. It was just a robust challenge and he was the stronger of the two. I can understand City fans thinking the opposite from your angle.

I still maintain that from the South Bank,  when you saw this instance, and the penalty with two players very close to each other, you react to what you believe happened.

I accept all fans are biased, but at the time I genuinely was amazed when a penalty was given and then thought Batth had been fouled. You can see why on just one viewing.

It shows that you cannot trust your instinct at a game, and that the referee got crucial decisions right here.

What we all do as fans, is scrutinise an incident ten times on video, then say "how on earth could anyone think that"?

Unless you're a Bristol City fan as we have been proven correct on both calls in this instance :thumbsup:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Robbored    4,243
4 hours ago, redfieldred said:

The ref v Burton was appalling. He thought football was a non-contact sport. I knew he was going to call a foul for a non-foul in a vital moment and unfortunately it was wilbs disallowed goal. I don't mind refs making mistakes, but when their entire approach is wrong the authorities need to look at them 

That was one of the games that prompted a letter of apology after City had a headed goal disallowed. The RA reviewed the goal and could see no reason for it to be disallowed. That was 2 points lost.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ian M    3,691
20 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That was one of the games that prompted a letter of apology after City had a headed goal disallowed. The RA reviewed the goal and could see no reason for it to be disallowed. That was 2 points lost.......

Reading away was another. Three points that time. Correct decisions in these 2 games alone and we could have finished 14th. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JamesBCFC    4,923
9 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Reading away was another. Three points that time. Correct decisions in these 2 games alone and we could have finished 14th. 

I remember the video of Johnson sprinting half the length of the pitch at full time to confront the referee, he was furious.

I'm guessing Brum at home may have been another- didnt Johnson say the ball was only in play for about 15 minutes in the second half?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Unless you're a Bristol City fan as we have been proven correct on both calls in this instance :thumbsup:

Not proven just given my opinion. I've seen plenty of pens given against Wolves for that. 

Regards the penalty , the rules are open to interpretation, they state that the referrer should determine whether a handball was "deliberate or unintentional". 'Did the defender spread his arms intentionally to block the shot or pass'? A ball  that is first kicked and then hits a players hand or arm is not ruled as handball. 

But one ref said he determines whether the ball hits an arm in an unnatural position.

So neither incident is proven mate, it's just interpretation of two difficult incidents.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ian M    3,691
3 hours ago, Shotbybothsides said:

Not proven just given my opinion. I've seen plenty of pens given against Wolves for that. 

Regards the penalty , the rules are open to interpretation, they state that the referrer should determine whether a handball was "deliberate or unintentional". 'Did the defender spread his arms intentionally to block the shot or pass'? A ball  that is first kicked and then hits a players hand or arm is not ruled as handball. 

But one ref said he determines whether the ball hits an arm in an unnatural position.

So neither incident is proven mate, it's just interpretation of two difficult incidents.

 

 

Ah right, so you're lacking a sense of humour then, I'll just leave you to it :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Swede    597

Never mind about the penalty that was rightfully given; I still think of last season's match there and Pack's last minute "goal" that got waved on.

As clear a goal as you'll ever see.

I can still see their manager Lambert quickly pulling his players off the pitch at the end. He knew it was a goal and that they got away with that.

Did we get an apology from the Referee's Association about that one as well? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×