IGNORED

Herbie Kane... BT Sport 1.

EmersonsRed

5 minutes ago, samo II said:

Someone that I hope we might be in a position go 'borrow' either next year or this; think the boy will end up a real talent.

I am under the impression and from conversations I have had (so this is speculation as opposed to solid truth) that Liverpool are very hard to deal with as a club for loan players, demand players play and plan on going down the 'grow within' policy. They have a few very good youngsters but rarely loan to English clubs. Just the one this season. Few abroad.

11 minutes ago, EmersonsRed said:

I am under the impression and from conversations I have had (so this is speculation as opposed to solid truth) that Liverpool are very hard to deal with as a club for loan players, demand players play and plan on going down the 'grow within' policy. They have a few very good youngsters but rarely loan to English clubs. Just the one this season. Few abroad.

That's true but the caveat to him in particular is that he's a genuine City fan and would actively want to play here.

I think there's a very high chance he'll be here on loan in the next year or two.

15 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Isn't Stewart Gas though?

Well documented City supporter, who I think, we turned down as a youngster. They picked him up, went on to become one of their better players and moved on, eventually playing in the Prem. 

We probably had him a year or two too late, unfortunately didn't really work out for him/us. 

22 minutes ago, Taz said:

Well documented City supporter, who I think, we turned down as a youngster. They picked him up, went on to become one of their better players and moved on, eventually playing in the Prem. 

We probably had him a year or two too late, unfortunately didn't really work out for him/us. 

True, and my original comment was more sarcasm/jest than anything else.

I remember Stewart's signing well - think he was 32ish so still appeared to have good years, and we then added Michael Bridges so had at face value, a premier league strike force. There was so much optimism over the signing that the way it turned out makes it more disappointing (see also Tomlin, Lee)

But don't get me started on the rest of the "Magnificent Seven" that summer..!

10 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

True, and my original comment was more sarcasm/jest than anything else.

I remember Stewart's signing well - think he was 32ish so still appeared to have good years, and we then added Michael Bridges so had at face value, a premier league strike force. There was so much optimism over the signing that the way it turned out makes it more disappointing (see also Tomlin, Lee)

But don't get me started on the rest of the "Magnificent Seven" that summer..!

I remember that summer. The expectation was that we'd blow the opposition away and coast to the title I think.

14 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That's true but the caveat to him in particular is that he's a genuine City fan and would actively want to play here.

I think there's a very high chance he'll be here on loan in the next year or two.

I'm not sure that's always the case mate...being a 'fan' is one thing, being a Professional footballer as your job doesn't mean you'll want to play for the team you support.

Sometimes it's better not putting the two together as it clouds thoughts...passion taking over.

It's a bit like meeting your favourite band and realising they are a bunch of dicks :laugh:....if you get my drift....

7 hours ago, spudski said:

I'm not sure that's always the case mate...being a 'fan' is one thing, being a Professional footballer as your job doesn't mean you'll want to play for the team you support.

Sometimes it's better not putting the two together as it clouds thoughts...passion taking over.

It's a bit like meeting your favourite band and realising they are a bunch of dicks :laugh:....if you get my drift....

I don't know about your favorite band,but Herbie Kane sounds like a 1970's funk singer.

9 minutes ago, Ian M said:

At £2.5m/year minimum to run, I suspect we won't even attempt to attain it unless we get in the Premier League.

I wouldn't be that surprised if we did actually. It's a pretty big statement for a club like us to be Cat 1 and I think Lansdown would really see that as an achievement. We're so big on the 'pathway' stuff now that I can see him really wanting that - especially if the likes of Kelly and hopefully others keep getting picked internationally.

Whilst we're prepared to spend that sort of fee on the likes of Engvall, I can see him making the investment. Perhaps around the same sort of time we get a new training ground.

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Would be amazing if we did. With the prices of players increasing every year in the championship, it would be a good investment I reckon. 

It's the sort of thing I can see us trying to do, would show real commitment to developing youth and would be a big statement. 

Not too clued up on all the benefits, can anyone expand? 

On 9/13/2017 at 17:38, EmersonsRed said:

I've heard similar things, mainly around how Liverpool are an insular club that want all aspects of their club to be run by their own.

Obviously, with an owner that isn't going to happen, but it does mean they'll want people with a knowledge and an appreciation for Liverpool. It seems pretty standard for clubs that want to remember their glory days, but Liverpool take the piss with it.

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I wouldn't be that surprised if we did actually. It's a pretty big statement for a club like us to be Cat 1 and I think Lansdown would really see that as an achievement. We're so big on the 'pathway' stuff now that I can see him really wanting that - especially if the likes of Kelly and hopefully others keep getting picked internationally.

Whilst we're prepared to spend that sort of fee on the likes of Engvall, I can see him making the investment. Perhaps around the same sort of time we get a new training ground.

Good post mate. We are throwing money at individual players but if we used it to coach dozens of youngsters then so be it. With the way the transfer market is nowadays it might be worth it.

10 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Good post mate. We are throwing money at individual players but if we used it to coach dozens of youngsters then so be it. With the way the transfer market is nowadays it might be worth it.

LJ has made comments about the 'goal' (perhaps not a particularly realistic one) being a team of 11 Bristolians.

In reality, he means that we'd give academy players chances wherever we can (like Vyner the other day) and try to develop those players.

I don't think it's terribly unrealistic that within the next 18 months we'll play a game with all of Kelly, Vyner, Morrell, Reid and Bryan starting.

Archived