IGNORED

Nathan Baker - Discipline

BCFC J

Not read it mentioned on here yet but it probably has been, I thought that Nathan Baker's discipline in the last two games after picking up yellow card(s) in the first half was outstanding. 

I loved seeing Baker land big challenges in 15/16 but a few times he was lucky to not get sent off, and against Blackburn he recklessly was sent off. 

He still has that aggressive bite to his game that we absolutely shouldn't try and curb, but he's been so sensible with it and not left us in the lurch, he's learnt his lessons and is much better for it.

What a player, I absolutely love him; other than Jansson and Gibson I challenged you to name a better centre half in the division.

Top bloke.

He might be a "top bloke" but his discipline leaves a lot to be desired.

Its probably a combination of enthusiasm and determination to win the ball that gets him carded so often. I'm sure that's not lost on LJ and that he and his coaching staff are working with Baker on it.

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

He might be a "top bloke" but his discipline leaves a lot to be desired.

Its probably a combination of enthusiasm and determination to win the ball that gets him carded so often. I'm sure that's not lost on LJ and that he and his coaching staff are working with Baker on it.

He doesn't get carded that often?

Pretty needless booking at Wolves. Went right through the back of one of their players near the halfway line.

Flint went mad at him as there was no need to make such a strong challenge in that area of the pitch.

Maybe it was one of those "letting the striker know you're here" type challenges. Think it's a positive we have a couple of hard men at the back at the moment - it probably is only a matter of time before Baker gets suspended though!

For me, in modern football, there is a clear distinction growing between discipline and tactical fouling. Both yellows he's picked up, against Reading and Wolves, have been tactical fouls, without which we could have very easily conceded on both occasions. Everyone else in the Championship has been doing it to us for years, and it's very much a part of football now; a tactic used to stop conceding, which is why I have no problem at all with the yellows for Baker. Don't think there can be any worries about discipline so far this season.

8 minutes ago, BCFC101 said:

For me, in modern football, there is a clear distinction growing between discipline and tactical fouling. Both yellows he's picked up, against Reading and Wolves, have been tactical fouls, without which we could have very easily conceded on both occasions. Everyone else in the Championship has been doing it to us for years, and it's very much a part of football now; a tactic used to stop conceding, which is why I have no problem at all with the yellows for Baker. Don't think there can be any worries about discipline so far this season.

I wouldn't say the one against Wolves was a tactical foul, it was a bit unnecessary I thought. The Reading one was though. 

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

So one in two then. I'd call that pretty crap. 

Maths not your strong point I see, that's one in 3 or 10 yellows in 30 which we've seen from his career doesn't happen

its just the walking red card people used to have a moan about this signing without any back up or actual evidence 

1 hour ago, Coxy27 said:

On another day, he could easily have been sent off against Reading for his yellow card challenge.

1 hour ago, Clappy said:

My gut instinct on the Reading one was he was going to be sent off. Ive not seen replays since but from the away end i was panicing..

First thing I did was look across the line, seemed plenty of cover and not a nasty challenge so yellow for me.

i said elsewhere, looks far less of a Red card waiting to happen this year than on loan.

Archived