IGNORED

Nathan Baker - Discipline

BCFC J

In the past we have tended to be "too soft" a team and how often is there comment on here about the fact that opposition teams are more cynical and smart in terms tactical fouling,  breaking up play with "professional" challenges  and the like.

Seems like Baker is what we need in terms of doing to the opposition what they have too often been doing to us.

I've seen comments on here chalking up our dodgy Championship form of the last two seasons to us being too soft and I reckon they're on to something. Especially when you look at our old knack of conceding late goals/throwing leads. I like Baker, Wright and Pisano's no nonsense defending. Tells opposition attackers we aren't gonna be rolled  over. 

20 minutes ago, generation1 said:

time we had some bite in the side

we have been too nice for too long. we need points not praise.

anyway we now have the defenders to take any suspensions in our stride.

Completely agree with this view. It's been a trait of ours going back years that we've had very little fight and know how within the team and I'm very glad that this seems to be changing. Different level but Phil Neville talked last night about how Man Ure struggled in Europe for the first few years of his career until the team realised that they were too nice and had to 'play the game' in order to compete and of course they went on to be very successful as a result. Think we need to do the same, albeit at a lower level, and hopefully we're seeing the signs that we're changing for the better and getting tougher and more street smart. Can only improve us for the better. 

2 hours ago, 8MenWith1Dream said:

Absolute nonsense. Flint was covering, cynical booking, never anything more than that.

When you consider that a lot of us were worried in the stands, the reading fans/bench clearly thought it was a red, and numerous write ups afterwards have described us as 'lucky' not to be reduced to 10 men - I think calling my statement 'absolute nonsense' is, in your own words, absolute nonsense.

With the pressure of a home crowd screaming for it, I could see many referees giving that as a red. I never offered my opinion on it, I'm just saying, on another day that's a red card, and there's plenty who agree.

3 hours ago, 8MenWith1Dream said:

Absolute nonsense. Flint was covering, cynical booking, never anything more than that.

Whilst watching the game back, I paused it as he made the challenge. Flint was a good 10 yards further upfield. No way was he in a 'cover' position. 

I think that by the time the ref had looked, Flint had drawn level with where Baker had dived in and so he must've thought he was covering. 

I'm very much in the 'Baker was bloody lucky' camp on this one. 

As KITR also pointed out, his challenge at Wolves was right in front of us and it was unnecessary. Right through the back on the half way line. 

I like Baker and I think he's vastly improved our 1st 11, but there's no denying he got lucky last week and his card at Wolves was unnecessary. 

Think he's our best defender, and I wouldn't take that side away from his game. We've been crying out for a no nonsense defender. Bailey likes a challenge too. Baker made a crucial sliding block when Fielding was rounded by their attacker on Tuesday.

As for the Reading incident, he took one for the team. Could have gone either way, but their player was still a tad wide.

Why is everyone looking at Baker in solitary?

Ask yourself why defenders have to make such decisions.

They are the last line of defence before the keeper.

I've watched Baker, Wright and Flint over the past couple seasons...they often have to make last ditch tackles, forced into 'taking one for the team'....whilst our CM in front of them stroll about like there is no urgency.

Perhaps if our CM were better at defending, the CB's wouldn't have to keep 'putting it about'.

Who'd want to be a CB for BCFC in the Championship with Smith, O'neil and Pack in front of you? Pack I can understand to a degree...but the other two? Not nearly good enough.

Smith does my head in....he's like a Jack Russell on a lead tied to a lamp post....lost of snarling, movement etc...but he never ever gets to you. Plus he has a two second delay on his brain when it comes to passing the ball. Keep the damn thing moving FFS....

I like him and think we have to accept he will sometimes live on the edge.

Wolves' manager was moaning in midweek about a number of our early challenges, I wasn't there but I'll wager good money Baker had made a few of them.

In his season on loan with us I remember the Birmingham home game well, Toral (who had dived up there to win a dodgy penalty) was clearly targeted from the off by Baker, with a couple of late, off the ball challenges and within 15 minutes he was already throwing his arms about and moaning to the ref.

Ten minutes later Baker finally got booked for a real shocker, kicking him high on his back and Toral hobbled off, not to return.

We have been an easy touch too often and although I think you certainly need to be streetwise, having watched Millwall attempt (and fail) to beat our centre halves up, no matter whether it is Flint, Wright or Baker, I'm glad we have a bit more steel at the back these days.

18 minutes ago, spudski said:

I've watched Baker, Wright and Flint over the past couple seasons...they often have to make last ditch tackles, forced into 'taking one for the team'....whilst our CM in front of them stroll about like there is no urgency.

Perhaps if our CM were better at defending, the CB's wouldn't have to keep 'putting it about'.

Who'd want to be a CB for BCFC in the Championship with Smith, O'neil and Pack in front of you? Pack I can understand to a degree...but the other two? Not nearly good enough.

Smith does my head in....he's like a Jack Russell on a lead tied to a lamp post....lost of snarling, movement etc...but he never ever gets to you. Plus he has a two second delay on his brain when it comes to passing the ball. Keep the damn thing moving FFS....

Brownhill and Pack as first choice CM pair for me.

16 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Of the players we have to choose from...maybe...I still think we need to spend big, as in the same as we did for our new Striker. It's the most important part of the team as far as I'm concerned. CM controls everything that happens.

36 minutes ago, spudski said:

I get your point but even the greatest defenders of all time have to put in last ditch tackles now and again. And they normally have world class midfielders in front of them. Isn't it just the nature of the defenders job?

It's like complaining that Frankie has to make a save once in a while - why aren't the players in front of him stopping everything getting that far? 

He can be reckless but it's been a long time coming since we've had a edge to our squad with him and Bailey Wright. It does make a nice change.

Haven't been able to say this but I think our current squad is the most balanced it has been for a long time. 

Different variety of players.

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

So one in two then. I'd call that pretty crap. 

10 games in and he'll be suspended at that rate.

2 out of 6 is actually 1 in 3!

So that'll be 15 games before a suspension.... 

Which will be at most two suspensions per year (if only accounting for league matches)  depending on number of games played. 

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

I get the impression LJ is a fan of Korey. He has talked before about how he was his captain at Oldham. I have only seen him at AG this season and he looked out of sorts and well short of what we need to be a top half side. Some suggestion he has been better in the last two away games though?

3 hours ago, spudski said:

Love your remarks re Korry  , hilarious still chuckling away  here now ,  But your spot on !

7 hours ago, Super said:

So what if he picks up a few bookings? I would be more worried if my central defender wasn't. His form has been excellent this season so far.

For me, Flint doesn't get booked enough...because his challenges tend to be aerial.  He doesn't fly in on the ground, mainly because he doesn't mark tightly on the ground, and therefore jockeys, happy to let Striker play the way he's facing.  I suspect a lot of strikers are quite happy to get the ball into feet with Flint marking them.  In the air, different game.

Pros and Cons of both approaches.

Personally I think Baker is a class signing, and all of our CBs will worry about suspensions, lack of form, long distance travel for International games, etc, for fear of not getting game time!  A good position for us to be in.

5 hours ago, BCFC Grim said:

Think he's our best defender, and I wouldn't take that side away from his game. We've been crying out for a no nonsense defender. Bailey likes a challenge too. Baker made a crucial sliding block when Fielding was rounded by their attacker on Tuesday.

As for the Reading incident, he took one for the team. Could have gone either way, but their player was still a tad wide.

That was Flint

Archived