IGNORED

Barnsley / Moneyball

Olé

Is there much this guy can actually add?

From the sound of the Q&A we're already using loads of statistics in both recruitment and performance, so (unless LJ is football's Moneyball :fear:) I imagine many big clubs are too.

As it doesn't sound like they'll be pumping much more money in, sounds like the main benefit will just be players on loan from Nice... :fingerscrossed:

I am offended by the suggestion that I am as bad as the pikeys ;)

not sure who are referring to though. For us, the pikeys are Donny Rovers. Still, could have been worse, you could have called me a dee dah.

Looking increasingly likely that this is happening. We have seen a copy of the share assigment form that splits the single share held by Cryne into 1000 shares, so the majority can be sold and a small percentage retained. Publicly available from companies House. And presumably some of you saw the programme notes from Cryne in Tuesdays programme which were turned into a press story in a number of papers. Looked very much like a goodbye message. He suggested, rather painfully, that however the season pans out he is unlikely to see the end of it. Poor bs'tard.

So yes, its happening. Not sure how I feel about it but nothing I can do about it. We will likely have more money but the feeling of togetherness and us against the world which we have often had, memorably in the promotion season 2 years ago, which was one of my favourite ever seasons, may I fear be lost forever.

I suppose the principles could be applied to our game, in the baseball arena the idea is to find 2 cheaper players that can match the stats of one big hitter. I can see that to an extent with goals and assists, but I  think it would be harder for things like stamina and ground covered.

21 minutes ago, redsfan said:

I am offended by the suggestion that I am as bad as the pikeys ;)

not sure who are referring to though. For us, the pikeys are Donny Rovers. Still, could have been worse, you could have called me a dee dah.

Looking increasingly likely that this is happening. We have seen a copy of the share assigment form that splits the single share held by Cryne into 1000 shares, so the majority can be sold and a small percentage retained. Publicly available from companies House. And presumably some of you saw the programme notes from Cryne in Tuesdays programme which were turned into a press story in a number of papers. Looked very much like a goodbye message. He suggested, rather painfully, that however the season pans out he is unlikely to see the end of it. Poor bs'tard.

So yes, its happening. Not sure how I feel about it but nothing I can do about it. We will likely have more money but the feeling of togetherness and us against the world which we have often had, memorably in the promotion season 2 years ago, which was one of my favourite ever seasons, may I fear be lost forever.

I read his message, and it was pretty sad. Seems like a proper Barnsley man who helped the club when it needed it.

With regards to the Moneyball side of things, I have to ask is it needed at Barnsley as you seem to have done exactly that over recent years with the likes of Hourihane, Winnall, Mawson etc being bought cheaply and sold on for decent money.

36 minutes ago, RED4LIFE said:

I read his message, and it was pretty sad. Seems like a proper Barnsley man who helped the club when it needed it.

With regards to the Moneyball side of things, I have to ask is it needed at Barnsley as you seem to have done exactly that over recent years with the likes of Hourihane, Winnall, Mawson etc being bought cheaply and sold on for decent money.

Perhaps that's the appeal for them - that we already seem to be on board with the method and seem to have been pretty good at it, certainly in recent times.

I just hope they don't have any plans to start replacing staff. Certainly Heckingbottom, but really all the support team and coaching staff who all seem to be doing a great job. 

Archived