IGNORED

Redknapp leaves Brum!! (Merged)

nickolas

14 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Yes you are right, though I think it was Harry that went back on an agreement more so than Brum.

He won't go anywhere as assistant and has to have major control, that's more important to SC than the level he works at, I'd say.

Given what he achieved here when allowed to manage on his terms, a struggling Championship club or big but under achieving League One club would be taking on a sure winner IMO.

Cotts had 95% of his body through the door at Bolton until Phil Parkinson said he'd drop his wage demands to take the job. Still think somewhere like that would be perfect for him. 

Any under achieving 'big' club in their division will fit him to the ground. 

Whoever he does take charge of next will automatically become my new 'look out for their results' team!

32 minutes ago, spudski said:

This is why I think he might struggle to find Clubs in the Championship.

Less and less Clubs are wanting managers to have 'total control' and do it 'their way'.

Regardless of what we think of SC as a person...I think we can agree he comes under the 'Old school' type of management and coaching. Hence his relationship with others like Harry. He's the younger end of a generation of managers that are considered 'old school' in their methods.

If you were looking short term in League 1, and you had a bit of money to spend, like we did when he was here in league 1, then I agree...he may do well.

If you want a manager, that will take sole responsibility, do it his way, have total control, use only his scouts and preferred agents, then SC would be your man.

If that doesn't appeal to you as a Club owner...then I'd avoid SC. But it may work for some owners.

When we appointed SO'D it was as Head Coach in line with the concept laid out in the "Pillars" whereby a change at the top wouldn't mean wholesale changes throughout the structure. LJ is today, Head Coach. Both he and SO'D had bought into the thinking behind the new structure.

Following the appointment of Cotts, he was interviewed on TV and asked if he would be the Head Coach or the Manager. Unequivocally, he stated that as far as he was concerned, he'd be the Manager. He smiled at the question as though anyone could have suggested otherwise. I thought at the time that it was strange that he was immediately putting himself at odds with a philosophy which had only fairly recently been introduced by SL .It appears that the writing was on the wall from day one.

Cotts is as you describe, "old school" and expects to be in complete control of playing matters. I don't think that every owner will, these days, be prepared to accept such autocracy. SL didn't.

My personal opinion on where Cotts would be best off is Coventry!! Big club with a big stadium especially for League 2 & it would give him the ideal opportunity to build from the bottom up & do things his way. Although they obviously have work to be done 'behind the scenes'.

With a bit of impetus behind the club they could rise up through the levels quite easily & it would make new investment easier to attract but with that would come the need to keep them onside! Could Cotts do that? That would remain to be seen but there aren't that many 'big clubs' in the lower reaches of the English game that Cotts could find with the potential to improve.

Cotts may well want a job higher up the football pyramid but with the way he departed here, would anyone really give him the opportunity? I just don't see him being up to the standard & he doesn't have a track record of success at Championship level.

39 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

My personal opinion on where Cotts would be best off is Coventry!! Big club with a big stadium especially for League 2 & it would give him the ideal opportunity to build from the bottom up & do things his way. Although they obviously have work to be done 'behind the scenes'.

With a bit of impetus behind the club they could rise up through the levels quite easily & it would make new investment easier to attract but with that would come the need to keep them onside! Could Cotts do that? That would remain to be seen but there aren't that many 'big clubs' in the lower reaches of the English game that Cotts could find with the potential to improve.

Cotts may well want a job higher up the football pyramid but with the way he departed here, would anyone really give him the opportunity? I just don't see him being up to the standard & he doesn't have a track record of success at Championship level.

Sent to Coventry more like :laugh: ;-) joke before anyone gets defensive or offended ;-)

1 hour ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

When we appointed SO'D it was as Head Coach in line with the concept laid out in the "Pillars" whereby a change at the top wouldn't mean wholesale changes throughout the structure. LJ is today, Head Coach. Both he and SO'D had bought into the thinking behind the new structure.

Following the appointment of Cotts, he was interviewed on TV and asked if he would be the Head Coach or the Manager. Unequivocally, he stated that as far as he was concerned, he'd be the Manager. He smiled at the question as though anyone could have suggested otherwise. I thought at the time that it was strange that he was immediately putting himself at odds with a philosophy which had only fairly recently been introduced by SL .It appears that the writing was on the wall from day one.

Cotts is as you describe, "old school" and expects to be in complete control of playing matters. I don't think that every owner will, these days, be prepared to accept such autocracy. SL didn't.

Although I agree with the sentiment of your post, all well and good but under SOD we would have likely had the best pillars and the best behind the scenes in the 3rd/4th division.

Whatever anybody thinks about SC and what happened after our promotion, the inescapable fact is he delivered the most successful modern day season ever and our first championship in 60 years and I for one who can call on close to 60 years of support will never forget that, in the same way that GJ gave Millen, DMC and SOD the opportunity to try and fail whilst managing a championship club, SC has afforded LJ the same opportunity.

He was rightly sacked because the situation was untenable and it was obvious that was not ever going to change SC and SL had different visions but only one had the money and there was only ever going to be one winner, but fair play to both for sticking to their beliefs and for continuing to stick to their beliefs.

Genuine question, why do so many of us want to see Cotterill back in a job?

OTIB has linked him with every available vacancy in the last 18 months (18/12 for Robbored).

I can't remember the same level of interest for any previous manager although I appreciate that most took another job more quickly than SC has.

3 hours ago, Xiled said:

OTIB has linked him with every available vacancy in the last 18 months (18/12 for Robbored).

I can't remember the same level of interest for any previous manager although I appreciate that most took another job more quickly than SC has.

From my own personal perspective, I couldn't care less if Cotts gets another managers job or not, I doubt the guy is short of a few bob & he's still employed by Sky so it's not like he's going to be on the breadline anytime soon.

And with regards to members of otib suggesting that job a), b) or c) would be appropriate for Cotts, it's probably because the jobs that have been available are of a level where he could possibly succeed again & as he's currently still unemployed in that field of employment, unlike many others who have had the position previously at Bristol City.

8 hours ago, Xiled said:

It's become a sort of running joke .

To start with many genuinely thought he would get certain jobs .

Then it was hopeful that he'd be employed by another club to get him off the wage bill.

Finally , he doesn't appear to be close to any job , other than the occasional Sky commentary .

It's a bit of intrigue .

Wish him all the best .

12 hours ago, Xiled said:

Only natural to take an interest in the future career of a manager who brought us so much enjoyment and success.

He was on gardening leave and still being paid by City hence the delay in him taking a job elsewhere.

Now he's free of that he'll no doubt get fixed up with a suitable job in the near future.

By suitable I mean a Championship club or a 'big' League 1 club with early potential for the PL.

Of course that club will have to agree to his playing and management style, and pledge to support him in strengthening key positions as they improve their league position and take on tougher challenges. He's made it quite clear he has complete belief in the formation and style of football that brought us such success in L1 and intends to take on the Championship in the same way, so 100% support for his 'project' from his directors from the start would be key.

Wherever he ends up the progress of that club will be fascinating to watch - though from my pov. hopefully not the distinctly unlikeable Brum. 

13 hours ago, Xiled said:

From my perspective, Cotterill was the first manager since GJ (or Coppell, if you count his reign). Since then we've had a lot of coaches, and the club suffered due to poor signings and poor management. Cotterill needed to be the manager, and he needed to break the Five Pillars to sign who he needed. It got us back to the Championship in great fashion.

Once we got back, it was clear that his power was reigned in, and he'd practically given up before a ball was kicked. He had empty benches throughout our friendlies, and we had made hardly any signings. From there, we hired another head coach in LJ.

Whether it was the right move or not, we'll never know. LJ has done surprisingly well given that he's a coach and not a manager, but I'll always have a soft spot for Cotterill for taking the club away from a destructive path and back into the Championship. 

Archived