IGNORED

Are we now serious play off contenders?

Top Robin

7 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Gotta be haven't we? Beaten Watford and Reading away. Drawn with a class Wolves side away scoring 3 goals and just stuffed and outclassed promotion hopefuls Derby.  Surely it written in the stars this season! 

Let's do this a few times more, maybe even away from home, then we'll see.

What we are is a side who have laid down a marker and that marker has to become the expected standard IMO, for us because of the past 2 seasons consistency is the key and at this moment in time we seem to have found that formula.

I will take a mid table finish flirting/teasing with a play off chance but nowhere near a relegation battle, establish ourselves as a proper championship team.

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Too early to say, very good so far though.

Funny how bi-polar this forum is over 90m though. If we'd lost 1-4 instead you can guarantee there'd be a thread about us being relegation candidates.

Isn't that football , the majority of us fans , and sport in general though !

Football fans are just so fickle. I didn't buy that we were relegation fodder when we played poorly a couple of times, and I don't buy that we are promotion prospects after a couple of good games. I remain happy that we just may be on course to squeeze into the top half.

Lets not get carried away at any particular point on the rollercoaster ride.

When our pressing game is on song, I think that we will roast a few teams.

The acid test will come when we are not quite on it and the opposition counters our style. If we can make ourselves difficult to beat in that type of game and grind put results ( Brentford and Reading) then we might surprise a few come the end of the season.

Think the Championship may be extra tight this year - 

Wolves to win it for m , but after that , not sure there are obvious contenders

Added to which IMHO there are a few sides who have started the season poorly but will get moving (Villa , Brentford e.g.) and s few who've started well but I don't think will continue at same pace (Ipswich ?) which will even out the final table in May

I can see a dozen or so sides in with a chance of a play off spot deep into the season

And at least a couple of surprise sides in them

Theres a definite opportunity  for a decent , organised side this season 

Us ?

Probably a season too soon 

I do get the feeling we have a happier squad and cover around the pitch and tbf to LJ & Co we are looking drilled / coached so stranger things have happened 

We look in better shape , and more stable than a lot of Clubs currently

Think confidence is massive in a young squad - On a confidence wave atm

Our reaction to a couple of defeats will be very telling 

28 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Not yet, we saw this last season with our start

Need a couple of big performances against Norwich and Ipswich and then we'll see

Agree but what I will say is our performances have been much better over the 90 minutes than the beginning of last season. 

6 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

We're showing serious promise but I always wait until other clubs supporters start talking about us as 'contenders'. I would imagine we won't be taken lightly by anyone though! 

The last three results have shifted my mindset this about this season.

Like others I'm sure,  I wasn't optimistic about getting anything at Reading or Molinuex and would have been happy enough with a  point from six. Our record at both venues isn't that good so come away with 4 four points was surprising.

Then today - a really impressive display in which every area of the pitch was full of outstanding performances and Derby were just blown away. City reduced them to mediocrity. 

At one point during the second half in one of Derbys rare attacks the ball fell nicely to one of their blokes at the edge of box and he got a shot away but four City defenders threw themselves to block it.

Wow! I thought when I saw that.....that's real determination and dedication to the cause. I hadn't seen that type of commitment for ages.......and any pessimism I might have had just evaporated.

So yeah....if LJ can get the squad to maintain today's levels then City could well be in with a shout.

23 minutes ago, hodge said:

After our start last season I'm keeping my reservations, however it looks like its going to be an entertaining season as I imagine if we don't win games they'll mostly still be good. So sit back and (hopefully) enjoy the ride. 

I think the big difference between this season and last season is our playing style and work ethic. This year we are playing some beautiful stuff. 

Can we get in the play offs or even the top 2? Certainly we can but it's a long season and if all the stars align then anything is possible. Luck goes a long way over a season.

Archived