IGNORED

Are we now serious play off contenders?

Top Robin

11 minutes ago, cityboy said:

Serious? No.

Outside shot? Yes; I'd say so.

I think that is fair enough.

Just got home and loved it today, loved it. If we play that well enough we have a chance. Equally, there are about a dozen teams will think that after the have just had a stormer.

I think prior to this game, 4 points from the last two games was hard earned and maybe a little flattering. Against that, whilst this was a high, it was at a higher level than I have seen for a while, and we seem to be improving and getting better. If things are going well, we will be in to the realms of injuries, and frankly can we hang on to the players we have in January?

If I was being super critical, we have actually been winning I think in 7 of our 8 league games, the exception being the 0-0. Teams that go up seem to be rarely pegged back when up.

Since we both came up,   I think Preston have been a year ahead of us in development, and might be their year to have a real go.

Just going to enjoy the football being played at the moment, and see where it takes us.

1 hour ago, JBFC II said:

Not yet, we saw this last season with our start

Need a couple of big performances against Norwich and Ipswich and then we'll see

performances were weak early last season. the results flattered us. We still have to prove Brentford was a blip. looking like it may have been however as the team gels and they reallly understand how to play to LJ's tactics.

3 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

If we maintain our form until Christmas ( or The spend  your money here festival) we will be in with a good chance .

We can dream of being humiliated by Man City on a Friday night I spose. 

I think the journey to the top league would be much more exciting than actually reaching the destination.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

If we maintain our form until Christmas ( or The spend  your money here festival) we will be in with a good chance .

We can dream of being humiliated by Man City on a Friday night I spose. 

Funny you should say that. I was chatting to a Derby lad on the way back to the car and asked him if he enjoyed their season in the prem.

He said he hated most of it and just got sick to death of getting hammered every week. He said it`s much more fun in the championship and it wouldn`t bother him if they never went back up. 

2 hours ago, Top Robin said:

Gotta be haven't we? Beaten Watford and Reading away. Drawn with a class Wolves side away scoring 3 goals and just stuffed and outclassed promotion hopefuls Derby.  Surely it written in the stars this season! 

As others have hinted at. It's a long season. Don't get carried away just yet otherwise you're likely to end up disappointed. Plenty more games of ups and downs ahead yet.

Just enjoy the moment. 

Let us just do what the really great clubs and managers do.

Take one game at a time. Enjoy the wins, learn from the draws and defeats. 

Would we really want to go up this season? Just keep building teamwork, resilience, problem solving and how to grind out results when we aren't playing well.Amd see what comes our way. 

Initially, we don't get carried away by three good results in a week. The old adage "Pride comes before a fall" is never far away in the Championship because the better we do, the more every other side wants to knock us off our perch.

13 hours ago, Thatch35 said:

Potentially. This season reminds me of last seasons start after that 3-1 win over villa. 10 Match not losing run would do nicely now. Norwich will be a real test but now winnable.

Yes, although that 3-1 papered over the cracks of some poor performances where we got results. 

Yesterday's result means 6 LEAGUE games unbeaten. The best of LJ's tenure (prev 2 sets of 5). 10 is a proper run.

The past two games tinkering of the starting eleven looked sensible (bit too many reactive moans on the match day thread) and you could see where LJ was going. Yesterday he picked the same side as I did...a rarity....with logic of Tuesday where some players cuptied!

15 hours ago, Robbored said:

At one point during the second half in one of Derbys rare attacks the ball fell nicely to one of their blokes at the edge of box and he got a shot away but four City defenders threw themselves to block it.

Wow! I thought when I saw that.....that's real determination and dedication to the cause. I hadn't seen that type of commitment for ages.......

Not since the good old days of Johnson snr 

5 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

It would be nice, but lets see how our form is the next 3 games after the international break. If, like each of the last two groups of 3 games, we can take another 7 pts from 9, then we can really start to believe...

Yes, but when we are actually allowed to start to believe?

After every good result somebody will say something along the lines of "yes, but let's wait until after X amount of games, then we can start to believe..."

Eventually we'll just have to admit that we're actually pretty good.

There are some key differences to last season. 

First and foremost is the manner of the wins.  We have a clear identity whereas last season a few substitutions worked late on and we took advantage of a few other sides capitulating (Villa at home).  This year we look much more secure and the manager is tinkering far less.  I think we'll finish top 10 at least.

Biggest difference to last season is the lads are enjoying themselves, skill levels get better every game, team spirit is fantastic, looking at the bench it's full of players good enough to start any game at this level, how many clubs can match that?  

It is going to be a memorable season for the right reasons, let's hope we do make top 6, at least we will have a team that will not fear losing their jobs if we win the final playoff - that was a bad away day, can't wait to see the boys stuff Hull!

I only hope that whatever or whoever upset the team spirit last season is either gone or has learnt their lesson!

Archived