IGNORED

Jamie Paterson

Londoner

I'm going to put it out there and say this kid is one of the best attacking midfielders in this league. 

Second top chance creation in europe? Work horse, creates, scores goals.

Finally flourishing and for me one of the most important players in our high press attacking system.

Not yet.....but becoming.....a class act.

2 minutes ago, Londoner said:

I'm going to put it out there and say this kid is one of the best attacking midfielders in this league. 

Finally flourishing and for me one of the most important players in our high press attacking system.

2nd half he was absolutely on fire. well played Pato my son

2 hours ago, Londoner said:

This 100%.  We saw in glimpses last season, and he was a difference maker in our run in. I think its fair to say when LJ was looking for players to trust, JP stood up and proved that he can be trusted.

However, he has certainly cranked it up a notch.  His work rate is unbelievable.  He is all over the pitch.  So much of our attacking play comes through him.  His movement and his availability makes him invaluable to the team.

Another player that has come of age here.  He is only 25 and there is much more to come from him.

With the curve in his development, adding him to the list of Brownhill, C'oD, Reid, Bryan, even Marlon Pack at 25, there is a sense that these players have all come of age at the same time.

Its a very exciting time.  If we can keep this core together (and that will be tough), then I think we have some serious building blocks that can hopefully establish us in this league and push hard to the promised land.

Once again. well done Jamie, more of the same please

Stevo

What sticks with me was an interview with him last season after he'd been recalled to the team, possibly after the Preston game. He talked about how he was sitting on the bench and thinking to himself watching another poor performance that he needed to do something about it. So he put his head down and started working harder in training. Someone tell me I'm not making this up. 

Anyway, fair play to JP and LJ and the coaching staff. Pato didn't play until he earned the right to play and I think that's always been the case. You'll see grumblings from some about players like Hegeler, Mags and Engvall not getting a chance but LJ is about earning chances. Doesn't matter where you've come from or what you've done before. LJ talked about Mags playing Tuesday because he's been great in training. It's not an easy job but I think he's been changing the right amount lately. I don't care about the result Tuesday but hopefully a few can give LJ a couple more selection headaches with good performances. 

12 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

What sticks with me was an interview with him last season after he'd been recalled to the team, possibly after the Preston game. He talked about how he was sitting on the bench and thinking to himself watching another poor performance that he needed to do something about it. So he put his head down and started working harder in training. Someone tell me I'm not making this up. 

Anyway, fair play to JP and LJ and the coaching staff. Pato didn't play until he earned the right to play and I think that's always been the case. You'll see grumblings from some about players like Hegeler, Mags and Engvall not getting a chance but LJ is about earning chances. Doesn't matter where you've come from or what you've done before. LJ talked about Mags playing Tuesday because he's been great in training. It's not an easy job but I think he's been changing the right amount lately. I don't care about the result Tuesday but hopefully a few can give LJ a couple more selection headaches with good performances. 

Agree with the majority of this & you generally but how many times have we seen in form players lose the shirt for no apparent reason? Earning the badge for hard work in training alone doesn't make sense when you've got 11 players stepping out on the pitch 3pm Saturday. With that being said it's been a while since I've LJ has done thoughtless tinkering.

Great performance & energy levels from Pato yesterday. Was interesting to see LJ push him further forward when taking Bobby off. Enabling us to keep the press high up the pitch & not losing the willing runner that Bobby offers. One point, thought he needed to improve his delivery, especially during the first half. Was obviously just finding his range! COYR 

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Good to see positive reviews post-match. There were quite a few calling him lazy on the match day thread. 

Yes I saw that; they wanted him subbed. Paterson is anything but lazy! His work rate is phenomenal. Same goes for all the team at the moment which is a big part of why we are doing well.

8 hours ago, WayOutWest said:

This 100%.  We saw in glimpses last season, and he was a difference maker in our run in. I think its fair to say when LJ was looking for players to trust, JP stood up and proved that he can be trusted.

However, he has certainly cranked it up a notch.  His work rate is unbelievable.  He is all over the pitch.  So much of our attacking play comes through him.  His movement and his availability makes him invaluable to the team.

Another player that has come of age here.  He is only 25 and there is much more to come from him.

With the curve in his development, adding him to the list of Brownhill, C'oD, Reid, Bryan, even Marlon Pack at 25, there is a sense that these players have all come of age at the same time.

Its a very exciting time.  If we can keep this core together (and that will be tough), then I think we have some serious building blocks that can hopefully establish us in this league and push hard to the promised land.

Once again. well done Jamie, more of the same please

Stevo

It's when things appear to be coming together like this that I appreciate the transfer window system. We know that until January these players will be with us. Then once January is negotiated they will be with us for the rest of the season. Under the previous system certain of our players would be attracting interest and bids from those in the upper echelons right now and we would always have it in the back of our minds that we could wake up tomorrow to the news that Pato has gone to Bournemouth for X million, or Reid to West Ham etc etc.

Paterson can be frustrating at times, I think 3 times in the last 15 minutes of the 1st half (once from a free kick) he floated an angled cross over everybody's head and out for a goal kick. He does have a bit of languid style, which can appear to make him seem a bit lazy especially in the heat of the game when frustrations can cloud judgement!

Yesterday I thought he should have been subbed instead of Leko, thankfully he wasn't and scored that all important 3rd goal which really killed Derby off. 

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Good to see positive reviews post-match. There were quite a few calling him lazy on the match day thread. 

That would've been a mistake and not in hindsight. He's had games where I thought he's been less effective but yesterday wasn't one of them. Think he leads the chances created stat for the championship by a good bit. He's been unreal this season. 

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

I could watch that on a loop for hours. If some Man City player had done that Sky would be creaming themselves for days over it.

Like that amazing JET free kick a few years back. Cotts said if it was Rooney, they'd not stop banging on about how world class it was.

3 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It might be because through watching a tv or stream you miss all the action away from the ball as it only follows play. Being at the game allows you to watch what players do away from play.

That's why I prefer to sit behind the goal to the side...to watch the runs and general movement. 

7 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Which players have stood out since watching?

In terms of movement alone (not necessarily overall ability) attacking and defensive

The best movement I ever saw was Dean Saunders for Villa stood in the Holte End many years ago on a sky televised Mondaynight special v Man Utd.  Lee Sharpe scored twice.  Saunders was brilliant, never stood still.  

In terms of City, I can only go back to 13/14.

Kodjia was pretty decent, despite all this "football intelligence of an 18 year old" spouted about.  He had instinct.  The offsides were often due to delayed passes.  Two players who I thought were on his wavelength (or saw the pass earlier than Joe Average) were Tomlin and Callum Robinson.

i probably prefer watching how defenders cope, and the player who sensed danger best was Ayling.  His movement into covering positions was mainly unnoticed, because people saw the buccaneering runs forward and the odd goal conceded where he left gaps, and ignored what he could do defensively.  No surprise he's done well at Leeds.

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The best movement I ever saw was Dean Saunders for Villa stood in the Holte End many years ago on a sky televised Mondaynight special v Man Utd.  Lee Sharpe scored twice.  Saunders was brilliant, never stood still.  

In terms of City, I can only go back to 13/14.

Kodjia was pretty decent, despite all this "football intelligence of an 18 year old" spouted about.  He had instinct.  The offsides were often due to delayed passes.  Two players who I thought were on his wavelength (or saw the pass earlier than Joe Average) were Tomlin and Callum Robinson.

i probably prefer watching how defenders cope, and the player who sensed danger best was Ayling.  His movement into covering positions was mainly unnoticed, because people saw the buccaneering runs forward and the odd goal conceded where he left gaps, and ignored what he could do defensively.  No surprise he's done well at Leeds.

I always thought Nathan Baker was excellent at reading the game and anticipating danger during his first spell here and he`s got even better at it now.

Archived