IGNORED

Will it happen again?

Negan

Well what an amazing start to the season, the team looks good and Johnson is finally looking like he can handle both this club and the league. When this month started I'm sure I wasn't the only one that looked at the first 3 fixtures of Reading, Wolves and Derby and thought "ok let's be honest a point will be good from that!" But to take 7 and come so close to all 9 is nothing short of amazing and we have to take our hats off to the man in charge, Lee Johnson.

However... I think you know what I'm about to say. We've been here before haven't we. This time last season all was looking well in BS3 and there were whispers of a promotion challenge but wins slowly become loses and we started tumbling down that table at an alarming rate. What looked like an amazing squad was now being picked at by our fans, a brilliant young manager was now out of his depth and didn't know what he was doing. Our billionaire owner who loves the club so much and has given us so much was even receiving hate.. so do we think it could happen again?... 

NO is my answer. 

I look back at last season and see the wins we picked up against Wigan and Burton as incredibly lucky, both winning goals late in to the game and both games we weren't exactly great, then followed two 1-0 defeats to Norwich and Newcastle which at the time we didn't see so bad but looking back now I think THIS team could have got points in those games. Then came the Villa game. They absolutely battered us first half and should have maybe been 3 or 4 nil up but again we got off lucky and a magic 2nd half took place. When I look back now at our good start I can't help but think "yeah we got so lucky with most of our points" this season every point on the board we have deserved. Yes Wolves and Reading gave us a good bloody football lesson but we stood our own with them and came so close to winning both, the millwall game aside we've played very very well in every game so far this season and I have more hope and trust in this squad and management staff than I did this time last year.

so do you think it will happen again like last season? Or do we finally catch a break at this level and show everyone just how good we are!

UTFC! 

I know this might sound weird. But last seasons capitulation was a blessing in disguise. At the time it was horrendous. And LJ should of been fired IMO . No doubt. But LJ and the players would of learned so much from it . Plus we have a better squad this season. I won't get carried away. Been watching city to long for that to happen. But there are plenty of positives . Long may it continue 

Don't think so. Sure, we might go on a 2 or 3 game losing run at some point.. but many teams do.

I don't think we'll experience anything like last season again though. Our squad is too strong and balanced. Also, we don't have any troublemakers in the squad like Tomlin who must be a nightmare to have about when things aren't going well.

Everything seemed to go a bit pear shaped after the press sniffed potential last season and came knocking on Lee Johnson/Steve Lansdown's door.  This time last year, there were articles in the qualities about the usual cliches: premier league potential/sleeping giant/catchment area.  I can see why - we started well result wise even if we flattered to deceive from a performance point of view.  I'm pleased to see that Cardiff have had the press coverage this season and, a bit like the manager of the month curse, it's their turn to wobble.

So will it change?  The signs this year are more positive: the first half against Barnsley was brilliant and yesterday was possibly the best performance I've seen City deliver since Johnson took over.  We've ground a point out of a game we should have lost (Brentford), gone toe to toe with one of the best teams in the division (Wolves) and only lost one game which we should have won.  Oh, and playing some bloody good football in ever expanding patches.

My only anxiety is the gaps that still appear between the back four and midfield which leaves us vulnerable when other teams break.  Still not convinced by Baker yet but then he is rebuilding his partnership with Flinty.

Dare to dream?  Today I am!

I don't believe so 

We will inevitably lose games , includingsome we would hope or expect to win but such a disastrous run ?

NI don't think we will

Why ?

* Think Lee has learnt a lot of lessons from last season

* Think the three coaches are working in harmony 

* Think we will see less changes in team selections /formations / tactics - tweaks rather than big changes

* A much better knitted and cohesive squad with indications of a better spirit through it (No LT and maybe one or two others)

* Better squad in terms of strength in depth

* think we are looking more drilled and coached this season (Not differently but development that's been ongoing for 18 months)

* Personally - My one concern / caveat is how we react to a couple of losses and a drop in confidence - Think confidence is massive for this young squad and the type of technical players we've assembled - our bouncebackability will be very telling 

This season start so far has been better than last season because the performances have been better in every area of the pitch.

FF is playing well and kept us in a couple of games with excellent goalkeeping. 

The aquisition of Baker has added to the CB position and he and Flint must look like a brick wall to the opposition at times. Bryan at LB puts in consistent displays and is coveted by other clubs. In the last two matches Wright has looked very comfortable at RB.

Midfield with Smith and Pack looks decent and with the likes of GoN (when fit), O'Dowda, Brownhill , Hegelar all vying for a place

Up top Reid has been a revelation. Famara seems to be finding his feet. Woodrow, Taylor both pushing for a start and Đurić on his way back.

Id be very disappointed if City hit the wall as they did last season. That desperate run of defeats started at Cardiff where Colin outsmarted LJ tactically. 

To me this current squad of players and the way LJ has them performing feels differently to this time last season. Yesterday's top performance convinced me of that.

I think a major factor last season was we started losing games in October and, from October to January, there were not enough options in the squad to make any drastic changes and then, by the time reinforcements did arrive, the rot had set in and belief had gone. This time I hope we have the players to come in to arrest any slump before it really escalates...

The beauty of the EFL and the Championship in particular is that it is so difficult to predict. Not many, myself very much included, would have seen us picking up 7 points from the last 3 games.

At the moment all is good but never is the old cliché about taking it "one game at a time" more important, already some fans are talking us up as playoff contenders, way too soon. One thing for sure, if the players start thinking they are good enough to just turn up to get a result, this league will soon bite us on the arse.

Yesterday was really good, 2nd half at Brum, Brentford & Millwall was really bad. Consistency is the key and we have a way to go to show we can achieve that... but lets hope we do. 7 points from the next 3 games as well and the wave of optimism really will be justified.

15 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I don't believe so 

We will inevitably lose games , includingsome we would hope or expect to win but such a disastrous run ?

NI don't think we will

Why ?

* Think Lee has learnt a lot of lessons from last season

* Think the three coaches are working in harmony 

* Think we will see less changes in team selections /formations / tactics - tweaks rather than big changes

* A much better knitted and cohesive squad with indications of a better spirit through it (No LT and maybe one or two others)

* Better squad in terms of strength in depth

* think we are looking more drilled and coached this season (Not differently but development that's been ongoing for 18 months)

* Personally - My one concern / caveat is how we react to a couple of losses and a drop in confidence - Think confidence is massive for this young squad and the type of technical players we've assembled - our bouncebackability will be very telling 

We have a balanced squad, multiple players in each position. Might be half a player over at CB, but rather have too many. One injury, or a loss of form, or 3 game ban and you have no wriggle room (under loan rules).

Still believe that the LT factor and the obvious major problems off the pitch / disharmony in the squad ( Not all down to LT but a major contributor) had the most single impact

I do wonder whether senior players were also influencing / suggesting different tactical approaches to further confuse issues

I get the impression that Lee and his lieutenants are the ones in control this season and will stick with their plans - keep saying it's but Lee appears far calmer , and more relaxed this season , as if he has quiet belief that all is running much more smoothly

We have more depth this year.

LJ will have learnt a lot from last year.

Plus, these young players- and we had a reasonably young squad last season, they have had a year playing together at this level- Brownhill, Paterson just 2 examples. That years experience last year- especially  all the ups and downs- they will have learnt a lot.

Can never say never in football but this squad, is our best balanced at this level in quite some while IMO.

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We have more depth this year.

LJ will have learnt a lot from last year.

Plus, these young players- and we had a reasonably young squad last season, they have had a year playing together at this level- Brownhill, Paterson just 2 examples. That years experience last year- especially  all the ups and downs- they will have learnt a lot.

Can never say never in football but this squad, is our best balanced at this level in quite some while IMO.

I wouldn't say more depth, but strength in depth. As proved today we made changes and didn't look like a makeshift team at all.

Johnson summed it up for me in his inteview yesterday when he said something along the lines of 'we looked in control physically, tactically and technically' and he was absolutely right.

With our passing, moving and fluidity we made Derby look like a slow, cumbersome side.

Last year, players didn't really seem to know what the tactics were or what they were supposed to be doing and confidence suffered because of it. This year we do seem to know what we are doing both offensively and defensively.

We will lose some games and we may lose 3 or 4 on the bounce at some point as that is the nature of this division and despite yesterdays result I believe  there won't be much in most games, 1 goal either way will probably decide it.

We do seem to have more resilience and options, and when Đurić is fit we will have another different option up front. Leko looks one hell of an acquisition and looks like he could give us that bit of magic that you often need.

I really am quite excited at the potential of this team and whilst I think it may be a premature to start talking of play offs etc, I believe we will be comfortably top half of the table.

1 hour ago, Negan said:

Well what an amazing start to the season, the team looks good and Johnson is finally looking like he can handle both this club and the league. When this month started I'm sure I wasn't the only one that looked at the first 3 fixtures of Reading, Wolves and Derby and thought "ok let's be honest a point will be good from that!" But to take 7 and come so close to all 9 is nothing short of amazing and we have to take our hats off to the man in charge, Lee Johnson.

However... I think you know what I'm about to say. We've been here before haven't we. This time last season all was looking well in BS3 and there were whispers of a promotion challenge but wins slowly become loses and we started tumbling down that table at an alarming rate. What looked like an amazing squad was now being picked at by our fans, a brilliant young manager was now out of his depth and didn't know what he was doing. Our billionaire owner who loves the club so much and has given us so much was even receiving hate.. so do we think it could happen again?... 

NO is my answer. 

I look back at last season and see the wins we picked up against Wigan and Burton as incredibly lucky, both winning goals late in to the game and both games we weren't exactly great, then followed two 1-0 defeats to Norwich and Newcastle which at the time we didn't see so bad but looking back now I think THIS team could have got points in those games. Then came the Villa game. They absolutely battered us first half and should have maybe been 3 or 4 nil up but again we got off lucky and a magic 2nd half took place. When I look back now at our good start I can't help but think "yeah we got so lucky with most of our points" this season every point on the board we have deserved. Yes Wolves and Reading gave us a good bloody football lesson but we stood our own with them and came so close to winning both, the millwall game aside we've played very very well in every game so far this season and I have more hope and trust in this squad and management staff than I did this time last year.

so do you think it will happen again like last season? Or do we finally catch a break at this level and show everyone just how good we are!

UTFC! 

We don't have a maverick character this time who undermines the coaches and bully's young players which in turn creates a bad atmosphere

This group we have now are bound by a strong team spirit and are set up to work and play as one

That has been clear as they have ground out results against good sides as well as yesterday where the confidence was that high they demolished a decent team 

Hmmm, interesting. I think it's almost unthinkable that we could go on a similar run this season. 

But the style of play is different. Some of what I saw yesterday was mesmerising one touch. As one of LJ's biggest detractors, I have to keep reminding myself that I'm not a fan. Hell, I even considered watching his interview yesterday! (I couldn't quite manage it by the way!)

I really hope this continues... but we need to be realistic that it's not possible every game will be like Derby. There will be ups and downs. For now, LJ has bought himself a little credit with me. And long may it continue. 

No, not imo. Firstly & probably most importantly, the players ( mostly young ) have gained a season of experience in the Championship. I think this alone is massive in so many ways. LJ would of also learnt a lot from the torrid phase he went through. He also has what you would call ' his staff ' along side him, think this is & has been massive in our improvements. The squad as a whole is much more balanced & you only have to look at yesterday's bench & think about who is unavailable at the moment to realise the depth is so much stronger than this time last season. Another factor for me, SL sticking with LJ when so many wouldn't of, it sends a clear message to the players  that you can't just down tools like in previous seasons. We look more organised & resolute on the pitch. Lots & lots of positives at the moment. But as with most things, it's how we react in adversity that will be just as important. COYR 

8 minutes ago, Simon79 said:

No, not imo. Firstly & probably most importantly, the players ( mostly young ) have gained a season of experience in the Championship. I think this alone is massive in so many ways. LJ would of also learnt a lot from the torrid phase he went through. He also has what you would call ' his staff ' along side him, think this is & has been massive in our improvements. The squad as a whole is much more balanced & you only have to look at yesterday's bench & think about who is unavailable at the moment to realise the depth is so much stronger than this time last season. Another factor for me, SL sticking with LJ when so many wouldn't of, it sends a clear message to the players  that you can't just down tools like in previous seasons. We look more organised & resolute on the pitch. Lots & lots of positives at the moment. But as with most things, it's how we react in adversity that will be just as important. COYR 

Well we lost 2-1 to Brum and the reaction has been excellent. I suppose adversity is a losing streak?

16 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Well we lost 2-1 to Brum and the reaction has been excellent. I suppose adversity is a losing streak?

That's basically what I meant yeah. I mentioned on another thread that after Derby scored, one of my first thoughts was, let's see how we react. & we didn't disappoint. The same as Wolves & to have that in such a young group can only bowed well for the future. But basically I was talking after a few loses type scenario, which in this league is likely to happen at some point. Not just the players as well, the fans etc. COYR 

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think a major factor last season was we started losing games in October and, from October to January, there were not enough options in the squad to make any drastic changes and then, by the time reinforcements did arrive, the rot had set in and belief had gone. This time I hope we have the players to come in to arrest any slump before it really escalates...

This is exactly the reason why I don't think so. 

We could pretty much make 8/9 changes to the starting 11, without any serious reduction in quality. 

Looking good, strong and positive. 

2 hours ago, old_eastender said:

The beauty of the EFL and the Championship in particular is that it is so difficult to predict. Not many, myself very much included, would have seen us picking up 7 points from the last 3 games.

At the moment all is good but never is the old cliché about taking it "one game at a time" more important, already some fans are talking us up as playoff contenders, way too soon. One thing for sure, if the players start thinking they are good enough to just turn up to get a result, this league will soon bite us on the arse.

Yesterday was really good, 2nd half at Brum, Brentford & Millwall was really bad. Consistency is the key and we have a way to go to show we can achieve that... but lets hope we do. 7 points from the next 3 games as well and the wave of optimism really will be justified.

An important factor is that Brentford and Millwall, had they been last season, would have seen us capitulate and lose easily. Similarly at Wolves;  last season, had Wolves scored first and put us under the same pressure as last week, then we would have lost without a doubt.

This team seems to have a resilience that I think will see us stay in games, even when we are not playing well and the opposition are dominant. They do seem to playing as a unit and with a togetherness that makes us a much tougher outfit than a year ago.

As others have commented, it is starting to look like our best transfer business of the summer was Tomlin going to Cardiff.

1 hour ago, Tammy JR said:

We look much stronger this season , top half at least imo 

Agree. As some posted last season; that 5-0 defeat at PNE was a blessing in disguise as performance s picked up after that and have continued this season.

5 hours ago, downendcity said:

An important factor is that Brentford and Millwall, had they been last season, would have seen us capitulate and lose easily. Similarly at Wolves;  last season, had Wolves scored first and put us under the same pressure as last week, then we would have lost without a doubt.

This team seems to have a resilience that I think will see us stay in games, even when we are not playing well and the opposition are dominant. They do seem to playing as a unit and with a togetherness that makes us a much tougher outfit than a year ago.

As others have commented, it is starting to look like our best transfer business of the summer was Tomlin going to Cardiff.

I`d add Reading to that list. If we`d have gone into the last 20 at 0 -0 last season we`d have lost 2 -0 I reckon.

Sure, the results are very much on a par with last season but we are winning points rather than scraping them.

Archived