IGNORED

Will it happen again?

Negan

26 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I think another factor that we need to take into account, last season, was Gary J's illness. It must have affected LJ even though he would probably say it didn't.

Personally, I'm cautiously optimistic although not getting carried away.

Absolutely, it certainly wouldn`t have helped matters that`s for sure. The mistakes I made at work while my mum was having cancer treatment don`t bear thinking about and I`m sure Lee`s no different.

7 hours ago, Simon79 said:

That's basically what I meant yeah. I mentioned on another thread that after Derby scored, one of my first thoughts was, let's see how we react. & we didn't disappoint. The same as Wolves & to have that in such a young group can only bowed well for the future. But basically I was talking after a few loses type scenario, which in this league is likely to happen at some point. Not just the players as well, the fans etc. COYR 

Let's hope we don't have that scenario too often but it will be interesting how we react

49 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Keeping players hungry is the key. Elliason and Magnússon are playing well in training and are starting against Stoke according to LJ. 

A cup run is important as everyone gets something thus Tuesday is more of a key fixture than some would believe!

It would be great for the squad if they could go a lot further in the cup and continue the level of confidence clearly there for all to see. I fancy us to beat Stoke and can see us getting in to the latter rounds if the draw is kind to us

This time last year we were looking like this
Played 8 - Won 3 - Drew 2 - Lost 3 - Points 11

We then won our next 3 games to make it look like this:
Played 11 - Won 6 - Drew 2 - Lost 3 - Points 20

At this moment in time we look like this:
Played 8 - Won 3 - Drew 4 - Lost 1 - Points 13

If we can do a repeat of last year and win games 9, 10 and 11, we will look like this:
Played 11 - Won 6 - Drew 4 - Lost 1 - Points 22.
If we lose one of the next 3 games, it will technically mean we've had a worse start to 2017-18 than we did compared to 2017/18.

So yes, we've started well.......but that doesn't mean that much at this stage of the season.......although, the signs are promising.

3 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

This time last year we were looking like this
Played 8 - Won 3 - Drew 2 - Lost 3 - Points 11

We then won our next 3 games to make it look like this:
Played 11 - Won 6 - Drew 2 - Lost 3 - Points 20

At this moment in time we look like this:
Played 8 - Won 3 - Drew 4 - Lost 1 - Points 13

If we can do a repeat of last year and win games 9, 10 and 11, we will look like this:
Played 11 - Won 6 - Drew 4 - Lost 1 - Points 22.
If we lose one of the next 3 games, it will technically mean we've had a worse start to 2017-18 than we did compared to 2017/18.

So yes, we've started well.......but that doesn't mean that much at this stage of the season.......although, the signs are promising.

I think the nature of our performances are significant. Only really against Brentford have we looked second best whereas last season we were unconvincing at times even when we played well in the early games.

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think the nature of our performances are significant. Only really against Brentford have we looked second best whereas last season we were unconvincing at times even when we played well in the early games.

If we lose a couple of games on the bounce, that's when this squad can show us what they're made of.

Scoring four goals in the second half yesterday, well that was the best 45 minutes of football I've seen from City for a few years.

3 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

If we lose a couple of games on the bounce, that's when this squad can show us what they're made of.

Scoring four goals in the second half yesterday, well that was the best 45 minutes of football I've seen from City for a few years.

Whole 90 for me, even though we didn't score some of the football was fantastic

I'm not getting carried away. There's a lot of hyperbole on this forum today - which I can fully understand after such a great result AND performance v Derby. 

Let's not get ahead of ourselves though. Here's how I see this season so far :

Barnsley - great 1st half vs a team who are clearly going to be in the bottom 6 this year.  What we got - 3 points. What we deserved - 3 points. 

Brum - a good 20 minute spell in 1st half, otherwise we were outplayed by a team who've lost all their other games this season. What we got - 0 points. What we deserved - 0 points. 

Brentford - most one-sided game in many a year. Thoroughly outplayed by a team who've not managed many positive results as yet. What we got - 1 point. What we deserved - 0 points. 

Millwall - worst city performance of the season. Bullied out of the game by a team who will be bottom half without doubt. What we got - 1 point. What we deserved - 0 points. 

Villa - fairly open and even game. Could easily have gone either way. What we got - 1 point. What we deserved - 1 point. 

Reading - very professional performance vs a possible contender. What we got - 3 points. What we deserved - 3 points. 

Wolves - craziest 2nd half of football I've witnessed in a long time. Totally outplayed for the majority and could do easily have lost this 6-3. What we got - 1 point. What we deserved - 0 points. 

Derby - astounding 2nd half, fully deserved win vs experienced side. What we got - 3 points. What we deserved - 3 points. 

So overall, we have 13 points. The way the games could so easily have gone we could have 10. 

Still a decent return. But I'm not getting carried away just yet. We've basically snuck 3 draws where we've been 2nd best by a long way, which in one way bodes well for our resilience but could also be looked at as a worry that we were outplayed by the likes of Millwall, Brum, Brentford. 

9 minutes ago, Harry said:

I'm not getting carried away. There's a lot of hyperbole on this forum today - which I can fully understand after such a great result AND performance v Derby. 

Barnsley - great 1st half vs a team who are clearly going to be in the bottom 6 this year.  What we got - 3 points. What we deserved - 3 points. 

Brum - a good 20 minute spell in 1st half, otherwise we were outplayed by a team who've lost all their other games this season. What we got - 0 points. What we deserved - 0 points. 

Brentford - most one-sided game in many a year. Thoroughly outplayed by a team who've not managed many positive results as yet. What we got - 1 point. What we deserved - 0 points. 

Millwall - worst city performance of the season. Bullied out of the game by a team who will be bottom half without doubt. What we got - 1 point. What we deserved - 0 points. 

Villa - fairly open and even game. Could easily have gone either way. What we got - 1 point. What we deserved - 1 point. 

Reading - very professional performance vs a possible contender. What we got - 3 points. What we deserved - 3 points. 

Wolves - craziest 2nd half of football I've witnessed in a long time. Totally outplayed for the majority and could do easily have lost this 6-3. What we got - 1 point. What we deserved - 0 points. 

Derby - astounding 2nd half, fully deserved win vs experienced side. What we got - 3 points. What we deserved - 3 points. 

So overall, we have 13 points. The way the games could so easily have gone we could have 10. 

Still a decent return. But I'm not getting carried away just yet. We've basically snuck 3 draws where we've been 2nd best by a long way, which in one way bodes well for our resilience but could also be looked at as a worry that we were outplayed by the likes of Millwall, Brum, Brentford. 

I don't think Milwall particularly deserved 3 points against us, the rest I agree with though 

26 minutes ago, Rob k said:

I don't think Milwall particularly deserved 3 points against us, the rest I agree with though 

They had more clear cut chances than us, our keeper had to do his job well, their keeper may as well not have been there. They dominated and bullied us from start to finish, not sure of exact stats but they must have had in excess of 20 corners! 

We were fortunate to get a point in this game. 

9 minutes ago, Harry said:

They had more clear cut chances than us, our keeper had to do his job well, their keeper may as well not have been there. They dominated and bullied us from start to finish, not sure of exact stats but they must have had in excess of 20 corners! 

We were fortunate to get a point in this game. 

We had 59% possession albeit we were terrible, we both only had 3 shots on target  and whilst they did have 16 corners I still don't thin they did enough to win the game. I still think a point was a fair result 

3 minutes ago, Rob k said:

We had 59% possession albeit we were terrible, we both only had 3 shots on target  and whilst they did have 16 corners I still don't thin they did enough to win the game. I still think a point was a fair result 

Same shots on target but theirs were more clear cut. The one that springs to mind was jed Wallace in front the Atyeo. 

• Admin

As I have posted elsewhere, I think there has been a difference in approach from LJ since the latest international break.

Whether it was a contributory factor to his thinking or not, last season the turnaround was based on largely keeping the same XI starting wherever possible. Lee started this season in the same manner, in my opinion to the detriment of our intended tactics.

Since the international break, LJ has started making a handful of changes to the side each game and things like shots on target faced are far lower than at the start of the season.

If I am correct and the squad rotation is indeed helping our performances we may see that our form since the break is more indicative of how we will do this season rather than our results before it.

Don't forget that one person we definitely need to give a lot of credit to is Frankie. His saves have kept us in it on lots of occasions this season. he might not be the greatest kicker of the ball, but he sure makes up for it with his superb reflexes. His form has been crucial...

45 minutes ago, glastonred said:

Don't forget that one person we definitely need to give a lot of credit to is Frankie. His saves have kept us in it on lots of occasions this season. he might not be the greatest kicker of the ball, but he sure makes up for it with his superb reflexes. His form has been crucial...

Agreed. He's been a revelation. 

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Thought we deserved something at Brum, had plenty of chances. Thing is, anyone can beat anyone on their day and this league is so competitive that every team we play will have spells of pressure. Millwall have a way of playing that's getting results and other styles of play in the championship which makes it so interesting. There will be games where we deserve 3 points and will come away with none, it's the beauty of the league.

I don’t think we will and the reason for this, I feel, is LJ is now able to get the team to play in the manner he stated he wanted the team to play in an interview post derby, not last season, but the season before. He tried the high pressing game that is working so well now last season, but the thing with a high press is that everyone across the width of the pitch has to do it to close down the passing options, and last season that didn’t happen (LT and others) often leaving the team looking disjointed. Then when the losses started he played about with formations and tactics etc to fit LT in, to try and stop the rot, adding to the confusion. I think it has taken this preseason to really drill all the players into this high press, led from the front, of course, by the work rate of bobby and FD. I think this is one reason why Engvall was loaned out again, because against Barnsley, I think, when he came on as sub, his high press was half-hearted and failed to stop the move that eventually led to their goal; of course Engvall wasn’t with us all of preseason to be drilled in this. Neither was Woodrow, but at least he is used to the pace and physicality of the championship. As others have said, we are more resilient with tough players having joined us. And a lesson learned from the end of last season, having the wide midfielders cover the full backs makes us solid. I know C’odowda gets some stick on here, but he works hard defensively, as all our players do (now LT is gone, cough). I wanted LJ gone last season post Cardiff (second game), but I am glad to see he has “got all his ducks in a row” now. Credit where credit due. However we still have room to improve and need a plan b, for example when millwall outmuscled us. I don’t think we will fold like last season though and we now have depth in all positions on the pitch, so much so that the competition for each position is just that, real competition from players well-drilled in their role within the team. And with the high intensity of our game we will need to rotate. Even if we had eleven injuries, we could field a strong team, although some of the new boys need a bit of coaching to get up to speed (Eliasson defensively, for example – we will see against stoke how that has progressed.) I’m looking forward to a good season, but I don’t think we are playoff material quite yet, but then we are no longer relegation battle material either.

Hopefully.

4 hours ago, Harry said:

Millwall beat the previously unbeaten league leaders yesterday, Leeds, who have looked pretty good in all departments in their last 7 games.

There will be plenty of surprise results in the league this year, just like there was last year. Sit back everyone and enjoy the ride !

I've decided to get off the fence. No, I don't think we can have that deadly run again.

This league is fiercely competitive. On paper, we'll lose against teams we should have won against (Brum) and we'll beat teams that we have no right to (Derby). 

We have a young squad, who needed to buy into the ethos of the coach. LT confused everything last year and he's doing the same at Cardiff. He's a maverick. He couldn't play the high press game and he was a bad egg. Amazing talent though.

The major difference, watching from afar in Africa is that we're resilient. We are organised and tough to score against. That is the most difficult thing to get right in football. 

The Villa game (the only one I have seen) we were short in midfield. That was our only weak point in the game. 

I hope that the coaching team and players have learnt from our mistakes. If they have, we'll do OK this season. We might even be dark horses for the play offs. 

15 hours ago, Bobfish said:

I don’t think we will and the reason for this, I feel, is LJ is now able to get the team to play in the manner he stated he wanted the team to play in an interview post derby, not last season, but the season before. He tried the high pressing game that is working so well now last season, but the thing with a high press is that everyone across the width of the pitch has to do it to close down the passing options, and last season that didn’t happen (LT and others) often leaving the team looking disjointed. Then when the losses started he played about with formations and tactics etc to fit LT in, to try and stop the rot, adding to the confusion. I think it has taken this preseason to really drill all the players into this high press, led from the front, of course, by the work rate of bobby and FD. I think this is one reason why Engvall was loaned out again, because against Barnsley, I think, when he came on as sub, his high press was half-hearted and failed to stop the move that eventually led to their goal; of course Engvall wasn’t with us all of preseason to be drilled in this. Neither was Woodrow, but at least he is used to the pace and physicality of the championship. As others have said, we are more resilient with tough players having joined us. And a lesson learned from the end of last season, having the wide midfielders cover the full backs makes us solid. I know C’odowda gets some stick on here, but he works hard defensively, as all our players do (now LT is gone, cough). I wanted LJ gone last season post Cardiff (second game), but I am glad to see he has “got all his ducks in a row” now. Credit where credit due. However we still have room to improve and need a plan b, for example when millwall outmuscled us. I don’t think we will fold like last season though and we now have depth in all positions on the pitch, so much so that the competition for each position is just that, real competition from players well-drilled in their role within the team. And with the high intensity of our game we will need to rotate. Even if we had eleven injuries, we could field a strong team, although some of the new boys need a bit of coaching to get up to speed (Eliasson defensively, for example – we will see against stoke how that has progressed.) I’m looking forward to a good season, but I don’t think we are playoff material quite yet, but then we are no longer relegation battle material either.

Hopefully.

And breathe Bob..........

:thumbsup:

Bloody good post btw , with some very good points  :thumbsup::)

Archived